Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 8, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #1,727 of 23,494

I'm just curious about the years! Is it matter to the sounds? I'm newbie to this field :)

Yes, not only the year it was manufactured but the factory it was manufactured in matters. For example, it is quite common to one Amperex OG made in the Blackburn factory in England and another in the Heerlen factory in Holland. They sound significantly different. So my advice is to focus primarily on the factory and date of manufacture, and not so much to the brand name.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #1,730 of 23,494
I love the E188CCs in the Lyr,  I have a couple of variations of them (Miniwatts included), the Miniwatts are a very balanced sound. Post some impressions when the arrive.
l had the Philips Miniwatts - wonderful tube! Tube World's user survey rated them the 5th best sounding 6922, right after the Tellie and S&H CCa - and Amperex Pinchies. Very musical. One of my pair burned out unfortunately, so I'll drop it into one of my DACs (only needs one).

This website is good resource with lots of pictures www.tubeworld.com

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #1,731 of 23,494
l had the Philips Miniwatts - wonderful tube! Tube World's user survey rated them the 5th best sounding 6922, right after the Tellie and S&H CCa - and Amperex Pinchies. Very musical. One of my pair burned out unfortunately, so I'll drop it into one of my DACs (only needs one).

listening to a pair of '60 miniwatts pq's at the moment, i have a 74 siemens cca, i had a tele, need to get amother one
i'd love to get an earlier s&h cca

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #1,732 of 23,494

Is that miniwatts pinched waist?

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #1,733 of 23,494
I want to give props to the stock GEs that come with the Lyr.  I never gave them a proper run, but the other day I decided they needed to be burned in.  After 25-30 hours they sound pretty good with my HE-500s (with new, hand-sewn custom modded Brainwavz HM 5 pads... *toot toot* goes my own horn
wink.gif
), and my Q701s.  Really impressed with the bass impact.  I was listening to my usual suspect test tracks, but the one that caught my ear was Peter Gabriel's Plays Live (latest remaster).  When it needed to thump and rumble, the GEs brought it.  I'll be very curious to hear how they shake out after 100 hours or so.  I'll throw them in the mix when I compare the '74 Rockets and Siemens CCas.  Should be sometime after tax day (next Tues.).

So, good choice by Schiit.  If I had no money to roll other, pricier tubes, I'd be pretty happy with these.  I know I'm not alone in that sentiment.  Still, it's fun down here in the rabbit hole 
darthsmile.gif

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #1,734 of 23,494

To my ears the late 50's and early 60's Philips Miniwatt E188CC SQ's stand alone.  Absolutely gorgeous "being there" midrange.
Totally engaging.  They never get quite the press that some of the other 'holy grail' tubes get but they were my #1 when I had a Lyr and are still my #1 with the WA2. And I've heard pretty much everything except the legendary pinch waists.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #1,735 of 23,494
I have a couple sets of the GEs with a couple hundred hours on them. I actually think they are pretty good. My BBs are still under a hundred hours but they are different from the GEs. I prefer the bass slam of the GEs.

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #1,736 of 23,494
Thanks for the kind comments. I just got home from bowling and lo and behold my new Phillips SQ miniwatts had arrived, original boxes and all. After careful unpacking, I installed them and fired up the Lyr. Wow. I will take a few days to compare with my Siemans and Halskes but these sound pretty good. Great 3D midrange, bass and treble. Pus the Lyr runs cooler with these tubes.

I have to give a nod to Billerb1 for finding these on ebay and recommending them. Thanks Billerb1 and also for selling me your 66 S&H gray shields. Great tubes.

Thurston is correct. The GEs are nice tubes that Schiit has paired with the Lyr. They do need a lot of burn in time as do the BBs. I haven't tried a pair of OGs yet.

Anyway, time to put on some music and sip some Crown while "evaluating" my new glass. I do like this thread. Expensive but very informative and it just keeps getting better.

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,737 of 23,494
  Thanks for the kind comments. I just got home from bowling and lo and behold my new Phillips SQ miniwatts had arrived, original boxes and all. After careful unpacking, I installed them and fired up the Lyr. Wow. I will take a few days to compare with my Siemans and Halskes but these sound pretty good. Great 3D midrange, bass and treble. Pus the Lyr runs cooler with these tubes.

I have to give a nod to Billerb1 for finding these on ebay and recommending them. Thanks Billerb1 and also for selling me your 66 S&H gray shields. Great tubes.

Thurston is correct. The GEs are nice tubes that Schiit has paired with the Lyr. They do need a lot of burn in time as do the BBs. I haven't tried a pair of OGs yet.

Anyway, time to put on some music and sip some Crown while "evaluating" my new glass. I do like this thread. Expensive but very informative and it just keeps getting better.

All the best my friend.  Enjoy !!!

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #1,739 of 23,494
Well, I have some bad news. One of the Phillips tubes died while listening to a Bob James and Kirk Whalum Disk and the other tube sounds pretty bad as well. I will contact the seller and let him know. Hopefully, there won't be any issues sending these back.

Back go in the Siemans and Halskes I got from Billerb1. Bummer, first really bad deal I have gotten so far (not counting the Russians) but lets us all know that these are old tubes and anything can happen.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #1,740 of 23,494
Speaking with one of the tube dealers - looking for those elusive '75 6n23p. I was mentioning how durable these tubes were. He shared some interesting info on tube ratings:

6DJ8 Ratings:

ECC88=6DJ8 - - 130V/1.8W

E88CC=6922 - - 220V/1.8W

E188CC=7308 - - 250V/2W

6N23P - - 300V/1.8W

6N23P-EV. - - 300V/2W

This may be why the 6922/7308 are rated to last twice as long as a ECC88. And may be why the 6N23P is so durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back