Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #1,186 of 23,494
The thump is always there regardless of the relay.  You can tell if you have a relay when you power up the amp.  Listen for a click about 20 seconds after firing it up.  The click you hear without wearing your headphones.

Quote:
  This relay you guys are talking about, how can you tell if your Lyr has it or not? You talked about a thump. When and how is this heard?

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #1,188 of 23,494
The thump is always there regardless of the relay. You can tell if you have a relay when you power up the amp. Listen for a click about 20 seconds after firing it up. The click you hear without wearing your headphones.

A little confusing to me. From the Schiit website: "Lyr has a 20-second slow-start and fast-acting turnoff output muting relay..."

So that's the click of the relay everyone hears at 20 seconds. On models that don't have the relay, what happens?

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #1,189 of 23,494
think I'm getting out of the tube rolling world and have a few sets of matched pairs to sell in order to save up for new headphones:

La Radiotechnique E188CC 7822  (RTC logo)
Voskhod 6N23P 1975 VRocket
National-Matsu****a 6922

(all are VERY lightly used)

which is the right For Sale Forum to post these, Source or Amplification for these?

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #1,190 of 23,494
  think I'm getting out of the tube rolling world and have a few sets of matched pairs to sell in order to save up for new headphones:

La Radiotechnique E188CC 7822  (RTC logo)
Voskhod 6N23P 1975 VRocket
National-Matsu****a 6922

(all are VERY lightly used)

which is the right For Sale Forum to post these, Source or Amplification for these?

Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #1,191 of 23,494

Those Telefunkens are not from the same year, assuming the pix are of the actual tuebs.  Not sure if that matters to you, but the date codes suggest 1968 and 1971.  Doesn't mean they won't work together.  Just sayin'.

Here's a quick tutorial on dating Telefunkens, using a real code as an example:

U is the Ulm plant where it was made
reverse the first two numbers for the date which would be 21
the 3rd and 5th number is the month which is October
the 4th digit is the last number of the year which is 1974
That means the tube was made Oct 21,1974 in the Ulm plant

and one other crucial bit of info:
"Tubes after 1968 started with a letter indicating the plant and seven numbers that followed.Since we were past the year 1964 which has a 4 in the number,the only logical conclusion would be 1974."
(quote from Michael Samra, as posted here)

mercedesman (TubeHunter) on eBay usually has a lot of Amperex pairs.  As I noted above, I'm digging my 1967 Orange Globes with the HE-500s.  mercedesman recommended the Bugle Boy Straightman, and I'm glad he did.  I got a 1961 pair, and they're awesome.  I'd rate them above the OGs.  He definitely had a few Straight Man pairs a week or so ago.

Thank you ! 
& are you talking about this pair :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-BUGLE-BOY-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1961-STRAIGHT-MAN-MATCH-PAIR-922-/221352724119?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3389a68697 ?

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #1,192 of 23,494

Be aware that the sending is taking a very long time. I ordered Orange Globes from him 3 weeks ago and still haven't received anything! Maybe it's exceptional, but even tubes coming from Ukraine and Russia came in maximum 10 days!
Note that Tubemonger is not quicker, it maybe US posts.
Note too that he's on holliday till the 10th of February too!

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #1,193 of 23,494
  A little confusing to me. From the Schiit website: "Lyr has a 20-second slow-start and fast-acting turnoff output muting relay..."

So that's the click of the relay everyone hears at 20 seconds. On models that don't have the relay, what happens?

Smoke, burning plastic smell...sometimes flames. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have some red label Valvos. Any feedback on them?

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #1,194 of 23,494
I received today some new jewels:

- 1 pair Siemens CCA dating from 1959 from the same batch!
- 1 pair Brimar CV2492 dating from the 70s, Cryoed

After a first listening it seems both are a hit. There's a huge difference between older Siemens CCAs and newer CCAs. I was impressed with my previous CCAs which are the best pair I had... But the new ones are stellar, no harshness at all despite only 3 hours of Burn-in process... The Brimar have mids to die for.... incredible!! 

For the moment my hitparade is the following:
1° Siemens CCAs 1959 (320 €)
2° Brimar CV2492 (45 €)
3° Siemens CCAs 1960s (120 €)
4° Bugle Boys 1965 or 1975 (50 €)(I try to find another pair)
5° 6N1Ps from the 70s with golden pins (20 €)

I have eliminated Tesla E88CC, GE greyshield, JJ E88CC and Ediswan 6BQ7

I am still awaiting Orange Globes and Amperex PQ 1961

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,196 of 23,494

Those are the ones.  He also has 1965s for which he's charging a bit more.  I didn't look at the listings, but maybe they tested better.  You could ask him, though you'd probably have to wait for an answer, as he's away 'til next week.

Brouken Air:
re: shipping to outside the US, it's probably stuck in customs.  If you got a tracking number from him, you can find out from the USPS.com site, or this one: http://www.trackitonline.ru/

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #1,197 of 23,494
  I received today some new jewels:

- 1 pair Siemens CCA dating from 1959 from the same batch!
- 1 pair Brimar CV2492 dating from the 70s, Cryoed

After a first listening it seems both are a hit. There's a huge difference between older Siemens CCAs and newer CCAs. I was impressed with my previous CCAs which are the best pair I had... But the new ones are stellar, no harshness at all despite only 3 hours of Burn-in process... The Brimar have mids to die for.... incredible!! 

For the moment my hitparade is the following:
1° Siemens CCAs 1959 (320 €)
2° Brimar CV2492 (45 €)
3° Siemens CCAs 1960s (120 €)
4° Bugle Boys 1965 or 1975 (50 €)(I try to find another pair)
5° 6N1Ps from the 70s with golden pins (20 €)

I have eliminated Tesla E88CC, GE greyshield, JJ E88CC and Ediswan 6BQ7

I am still awaiting Orange Globes and Amperex PQ 1961

Nice collection.  I'll be right over! 
wink.gif
  And glad those 1959 CCas are worth the money.  Congrats 
smile.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #1,198 of 23,494

Those are the ones.  He also has 1965s for which he's charging a bit more.  I didn't look at the listings, but maybe they tested better.  You could ask him, though you'd probably have to wait for an answer, as he's away 'til next week.

Brouken Air:
re: shipping to outside the US, it's probably stuck in customs.  If you got a tracking number from him, you can find out from the USPS.com site, or this one: http://www.trackitonline.ru/

It's effectively stuck (since monday apparently), because there was no papers with... I got the mail right now from the customs. I should get the pack and bring the invoice (50 kms!!). Mercedesman has surely nice products and the delivery services were cheap, but finally it will cost me more than having higher fees (papers should always be joined outside the box!). I think it's worth knowing that when you order. For example my Schiit amp, took 4 days from the US with fedex! Russian tubes coming from Ukraine with standard mail but with papers on the box, 10 days... I would have liked to order the bugle boys from him, and I sent him a mail to ask if he could send the packs with other methods. I am awaiting his answer as he's on holliday, so you see it's not a major affair and trust is there whith such a brilliant advocate as you Thurston 
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #1,199 of 23,494

Brouken Air:

Concerning the 1965's they tested better...
wink.gif
 I have read too that the BB from the late 50s are also a bit better, but seems very hard to find 
mad.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,200 of 23,494

Smoke, burning plastic smell...sometimes flames. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have some red label Valvos. Any feedback on them?

A good jack-of-all-trades tube  to my ears, not the best at anything , not the worst.

To my ears, the Valvo Red Labels are quite a bit better than that. On the Liquid Glass amplifier, with the HD 800 and LCD-3 phones, these valves had fast, clean bass and excellent response in all frequencies. Strangely, the HD 800 was a little warmer than the LCD-3 with these tubes, which is a role-reversal, but anyway both sounded great.

BTW, 6DJ8 type tubes that do well on the LG typically also do well on the Lyr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back