Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Oct 30, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #14,686 of 23,494
Either rnros or Winders will chime in on that. I got mine from nixiestore. You will be told to opt for matched pairs. I’m confident of that. Also late 70s -mid 80s irc. They are really good, lots of detail and warm tilted. Why buy 8 even if the price is nice?

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #14,687 of 23,494
Expect shipping from China to slow even more with the new war on opiates and designer drugs. So you folks wanting the adapters from there may be in for a month of anticipation

Oct 30, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #14,688 of 23,494
Either rnros or Winders will chime in on that. I got mine from nixiestore. You will be told to opt for matched pairs. I’m confident of that. Also late 70s -mid 80s irc. They are really good, lots of detail and warm tilted. Why buy 8 even if the price is nice?

You’re actually right. If I was to share the wealth, 8 tubes would last you and I a lifetime. Good call out.
I’ll make sure when hunting that they’re matched. It’s just hard wrapping my head around tubes being “good” that inexpensive. That’s a really good thing. The wait time on shipping is no biggie either as I have enough to last me.
On another note, I did snag those orange globes. I like how warm they are and how they bring out the mids, a nice little boost in the bass will taming the highs especially on the TH900.
Thanx man!

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #14,690 of 23,494
I like the GE tubes better, but I prefer a more neutral presentation. For the money the russkies rock. The warm tilt of them is not as engaging as the we 396a but for a fiver you get really good tubes. Better than most 6922s. I’ve got boxes full of tubes I’ll never use again,so i am looking at a junk drawer situation. My bad on the hoarding advice. If you like the OGs you’ll definately like the russkies. Much cleaner sound and better soundstage. At least to me on my gear.

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #14,691 of 23,494
I like the GE tubes better, but I prefer a more neutral presentation. For the money the russkies rock. The warm tilt of them is not as engaging as the we 396a but for a fiver you get really good tubes. Better than most 6922s. I’ve got boxes full of tubes I’ll never use again,so i am looking at a junk drawer situation. My bad on the hoarding advice. If you like the OGs you’ll definately like the russkies. Much cleaner sound and better soundstage. At least to me on my gear.

Bro, if you’ve drawers of tubes you’ll never use again, hell, send them my way. Sell them, make a few bucks. If YOU say they’re good tubes and warm ( which I kind of like) and you want to unload some, shoot me a price (of course only if you like) and I’ll take them off your hands. don’t get me wrong, I thrive for more detail but I also like a semi colored SS, especially in the low end.
I can become a hoarder. This is fun stuff I’m finding out. The endless possibilities.

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #14,692 of 23,494
Tk and Billy have better tubes for sale. They are stateside too. My tubes pale by comparison. One of these days I’ll dump em. Just too lazy and impatient to deal with the p.o. here

Oct 30, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #14,693 of 23,494
Tk and Billy have better tubes for sale. They are stateside too. My tubes pale by comparison. One of these days I’ll dump em. Just too lazy and impatient to deal with the p.o. here

All of my expendables have been expended.

Oct 30, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #14,695 of 23,494
Oh well, I’ll dig through....someday. Sorry to implicate you guys.
Koover .....missed it by THAT much. These dudes were dropping holy grail tubes like hookers with visible lesions. With matching prices to these bargain beauties. Best I’ve seen in years if ever. Mine are the dumpy chicks left at last call in comparison. But I’ll dig through.

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #14,696 of 23,494
Koover .....missed it by THAT much. These dudes were dropping holy grail tubes like hookers with visible lesions. With matching prices to these bargain beauties. Best I’ve seen in years if ever. Mine are the dumpy chicks left at last call in comparison. But I’ll dig through.

LMAO. That’s some funny $h!+ man!
It’s all good. I was just saying if you had expendales that you wanted to dump, I’m ur guy!
I actually like the hunt and peck and I’ll live and learn along the way.

Oct 30, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #14,697 of 23,494
Any thoughts on those lots of 8 for $11.00 for the 6N3P E Reflektor tubes? They’re like a dime a dozen on eBay. Like these....

https://m.ebay.com/itm/8-x-6N3P-E-2C51-6385-ECC42-6N3P-REFLEKTOR-TUBES-GOLD-GRID-NOS-BOXED

You’re actually right. If I was to share the wealth, 8 tubes would last you and I a lifetime. Good call out.
I’ll make sure when hunting that they’re matched. It’s just hard wrapping my head around tubes being “good” that inexpensive. That’s a really good thing. The wait time on shipping is no biggie either as I have enough to last me.
On another note, I did snag those orange globes. I like how warm they are and how they bring out the mids, a nice little boost in the bass will taming the highs especially on the TH900.
Thanx man!

If you search my posts in this thread, you will find some eBay seller recommendations for the RFL 6N3P-Es. The one TVNO mentioned is one of them.
On matching, you can look at it in different ways; I've only found the difference from triode to triode, or tube to tube, to be about 15% max, and usually much closer than that (~0-7%).
With that in mind, and with the intention of matching channel SPLs, you can match by ear (center image), or SPL meter. (You can use a Vali2 to do one tube at a time, one triode per channel.)
Or, you can match by voltage output in your own amp (or Vali2 first), which is simple to do with a V meter, and then confirm by ear. What better circuit to use than the actual amp itself?
I do always listen to the tubes first to identify any noise or sound issues. These tubes have a very high QC level.
And yes, you can find/buy matched pairs.

"It’s just hard wrapping my head around tubes being “good” that inexpensive."
Quality design/construction/performance does not always align with market prices for NOS tubes.
The European and the USA tubes have had a much longer exposure in the western markets, and that establishes price levels, and... let's not forget hype!
IMO, the Reflector 6N3P-E has one of the highest levels of design/construction/performance that I have seen in noval tubes, from any brand or country.
But again, IMHO.
(And remember, all of these small format tubes sold for just a few dollars apiece in their day, regardless of their price today, whether that is $2 or $400!)

Edit: Here is one post, but you can find more...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-903#post-13688879

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #14,698 of 23,494
If you search my posts in this thread, you will find some eBay seller recommendations for the RFL 6N3P-Es. The one TVNO mentioned is one of them.
On matching, you can look at it in different ways; I've only found the difference from triode to triode, or tube to tube, to be about 15% max, and usually much closer than that (~0-7%).
With that in mind, and with the intention of matching channel SPLs, you can match by ear (center image), or SPL meter. (You can use a Vali2 to do one tube at a time, one triode per channel.)
Or, you can match by voltage output in your own amp (or Vali2 first), which is simple to do with a V meter, and then confirm by ear. What better circuit to use than the actual amp itself?
I do always listen to the tubes first to identify any noise or sound issues. These tubes have a very high QC level.
And yes, you can find/buy matched pairs.

"It’s just hard wrapping my head around tubes being “good” that inexpensive."
Quality design/construction/performance does not always align with market prices for NOS tubes.
The European and the USA tubes have had a much longer exposure in the western markets, and that establishes price levels, and... let's not forget hype!
IMO, the Reflector 6N3P-E has one of the highest levels of design/construction/performance that I have seen in noval tubes, from any brand or country.
But again, IMHO.
(And remember, all of these small format tubes sold for just a few dollars apiece in their day, regardless of their price today, whether that is $2 or $400!)

Edit: Here is one post, but you can find more...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/page-903#post-13688879
Excellent post. Thank you. This is a wealth of information for someone like me just diving into this. This takes away a lot of the footwork on my end and it’s appreciated.

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #14,699 of 23,494
What a post! Life is easy when only dealing with cats.
:beerchug:

Oct 30, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #14,700 of 23,494
Excellent post. Thank you. This is a wealth of information for someone like me just diving into this. This takes away a lot of the footwork on my end and it’s appreciated.

Glad it was helpful, lots of high quality tubes discussed here, without having to spend large amounts of money.
Bottom line is you have to hear the various tubes yourself, in your own gear, with your own music choices.
Which is actually possible when the tubes discussed are reasonably priced. Lots of good information and opinion sharing here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back