Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Sep 1, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #13,637 of 23,494
I wasn't lying!!!
I have an image or Harry and Lloyd in my head.
Thanks to the prophet and heretic for their help.
Also cleaned up adapters, changed tubes to the we and tried the lyr 1 again. Houston we have lift off. Not listening yet . Just letting it float off with out me for a while. But at least it's cooking proper.
The we, I get it, it's almost like a wet squishy mullard ,very nice ... I like the ts a bit more. But it's like choosing ice cream... you can't really screw up.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #13,638 of 23,494
The WE JW only 4 hours in is better than any Mullard or Brimar I ever heard. Suprising detail for as warm as it is. Took out a pair of Heerlen Valvo CCa PW and do not miss it one bit.
Oh no!!!! Its comments like those that have me wondering

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #13,639 of 23,494
Oh no!!!! Its comments like those that have me wondering

It's not a rabbit hole! It's a better place to be!

No one wanted to believe me. I bet you all thought I was blowing smoke and was hearing what I wanted to hear. I have to tell you that I was in shock when I first listened to the WE396A tubes. I just about fell off my chair when I heard the WE JW 2C51 tubes. I thought to myself there is no way these tubes are that good. I listened back to back. I listened to full albums. It was true. These 5670 tubes were the cat's meow! That's when I decided to sell all of my expensive 6922 type tubes.

Every time I listen to my headphones now, I still can't believe full the music sounds, how much detail and clarity is present, and how much resolution there is to the expansive soundstage.

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #13,643 of 23,494
lol

i'm not ready to drop in just yet - as i'm currently listening to beck (mutations) with my PW valvo e88cc

but re JW 396a....

d getters are not the same as square getters or are they the same?
what decades or years do you believe are preferred?
i know you mentioned it earlier, from memory, but how does the coding work re years, if i may ask again?

thanks

images

Sep 2, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #13,644 of 23,494
From the gents here I learned horizontal print is 40`s. In the link I saw 926 code. Believe that is 1949, 26th week. Still learning this variant myself. They rival the PW tubes from what I am hearing early on. Need more time with them and more burn in.

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #13,646 of 23,494
@thecrow
A link to the Western Electric document on dating in the quote below:
(Go to last page for 1946 to 1955.)
thanks

so is this definite with all decades (if i read it correct) that four digits cover late 55 onwards, with the first two numbers being the year and if three digits then that is mid 40's to mid 50's? that simple?

so i'm best looking for black plates, square getter, jw marking and now just looking to see what the go is re year/decade preference?

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #13,648 of 23,494
thanks

so is this definite with all decades (if i read it correct) that four digits cover late 55 onwards, with the first two numbers being the year and if three digits then that is mid 40's to mid 50's? that simple?

so i'm best looking for black plates, square getter, jw marking and now just looking to see what the go is re year/decade preference?

Yes, on the date codes, except that four digits began in 1956, not late 1955.

As to date/label preferences, can't say too much with certainty, I've only listened to 7 pair, not a big sample set spread across 25+ years.
Summary comment would be that they all were excellent, and I'm not sure that any differences would be enough to identify them in a double-blind setup.

What is certain: according to WE literature, the 2C51 and the 396A are identical, 396A being the designation used and required by ATT/Bell Telephone.
WE 396A fits into the Western Electric designation sequence.

My pairs of 48 and 49 came in original military type plain brown cardboard boxes but no additional stamping on the tube other than the standard horizontal print. The others were in commercial boxes or bulk pack. All the ones I have are D getters.
Not a lot of these around, first I would look for the best quality in the 40s and 50s, but I would not hesitate on the 60s if that's all I could find.
Although, Increased interest and higher prices may pull more out of storage.

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #13,650 of 23,494
Yes, on the date codes, except that four digits began in 1956, not late 1955.

As to date/label preferences, can't say too much with certainty, I've only listened to 7 pair, not a big sample set spread across 25+ years.
Summary comment would be that they all were excellent, and I'm not sure that any differences would be enough to identify them in a double-blind setup.

What is certain: according to WE literature, the 2C51 and the 396A are identical, 396A being the designation used and required by ATT/Bell Telephone.
WE 396A fits into the Western Electric designation sequence.

My pairs of 48 and 49 came in original military type plain brown cardboard boxes but no additional stamping on the tube other than the standard horizontal print. The others were in commercial boxes or bulk pack. All the ones I have are D getters.
Not a lot of these around, first I would look for the best quality in the 40s and 50s, but I would not hesitate on the 60s if that's all I could find.
Although, Increased interest and higher prices may pull more out of storage.
that's great info - thanks

and are d getters also called square getters or are they different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back