Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 21, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #11,986 of 23,494
The LISSTs do sound good. The harshness I had been hearing in upper end calmed down quite a bit after 4 hours. But they don't sound great like my Siemens CCa tubes do. For instance, with the LISST tubes, the acoustic guitar intro in Yes's "Roundabout" doesn't sound as full or as organic as it does with the CCa tubes. It's almost as if the resonance from the strings is cut off too soon. I suppose this could be an example of the decay being too fast. Jon Anderson's voice seems to suffer the same fate too. The LISST tubes sound better with my monitors than they do with my headphones. I guess that tells me my monitors are a bit more relaxed and maybe a bit warmer than my headphones. My wife's Pitbull tracks do sound great with the LISST tubes.

I am going to keep the LISSTs installed for a while longer to see if I hear anything else.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #11,987 of 23,494
Hey all!  I'm getting a schiit lyr2 this week and I'm thinking of trying out some different tubes.  Do y'all have any recommendations for good starter tubes for around $100 or less?  Also, as I'm just starting out, do you have any help for where to buy said tubes without getting ripped off/scammed?  My tube knowledge is near zil, so I'm a bit worried about that.  Thanks!

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #11,988 of 23,494
  Hey all!  I'm getting a schiit lyr2 this week and I'm thinking of trying out some different tubes.  Do y'all have any recommendations for good starter tubes for around $100 or less?  Also, as I'm just starting out, do you have any help for where to buy said tubes without getting ripped off/scammed?  My tube knowledge is near zil, so I'm a bit worried about that.  Thanks!

I started on page 1 of this thread and just kept reading. Lots and lots of great information. Go back a few pages from here and there is a discussion on $100 tube pairs. There are some eBay links too.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #11,989 of 23,494
So the noise returned.

I informed the seller and he's giving me a refund and I can keep the tubes.

So now I may have about $100 to spend on new tubes.  Any suggestions for HD800?  Would like something clear, detailed, punchy maybe a little warmth with holographic soundstage.

Get a pair of Heerlen, Holland Philips or Valvo E188CC's and call it good. Make sure they have the Heerlen delta in the code. If you're patient you can find them for around $100. To me a more sophisticated and layered soundstage than the E88CC's...better separation between instruments/less congestion. A bit smoother/warmer presentation than the E88CC's as well...which should be a bonus with your HD800's.

Midrange to die for but still very well balanced. Fantastic all-purpose tube at an affordable price.

Here was my 2 cents on 'best tubes under $100'. FWIW. When you initially look for them you'll be put off by the prices...but don't freak out. You can find deals and people on this thread, particularly TK16, are great at helping in that regard.

EDIT: Head-fi'er thenewguy007 has this listing on the For Sale Forum for E188CC Valvos (not sure if they're Dutch or German...both would be good) for $150. Not sure if there's any flexibility in the price...but he's eating the paypal fee and shipping costs so that effectively gets the price down to around $130...pretty good deal.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/837470/valvo-red-label-e188cc-o-getter-valvo-red-label-e88cc-d-getter-gold-pins

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #11,990 of 23,494

1960's Brimar CV2492 is also an excellent choice for $100 and under. Punchy dynamic good detal and excellent bass, like Mullards on steroids.

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #11,991 of 23,494
What about tubes for metal music (around 50€)? Progressive mostly. Also death, heavy, power basicly all kind of metal. My headphones are HD 600 and
i´m going to get Lyr 2 soon. Btw i´m totally noob with tubes.

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #11,992 of 23,494
Anyone here gone from the Bifrost Multibit DAC to the Gungnir Multibit DAC ??  I've been very happy with my Bifrost Multibit...and $1350 for the Gungnir Multibit is a lot of money for me....but I'm getting more and more curious about what exactly I'm missing.  Sure would like to hear someone's comparison of the two.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #11,993 of 23,494
I've been listening with the LISSTs since my Lyr 2 arrived a few days ago. I'm impressed, they sound excellent top to bottom to me, but my whole headphone rig (Lyr 2-->HE-400i) is new so I have no baseline yet. I expect to be using *real* tubes most of the time, but it's good to know the LISSTs can perform well and to have them in reserve. :cool:

I loved my HE-400i's with thr Lyr. When I got my LCD-2's I felt like I made the wrong choice but after I felt the lower end on the Audeze's I wouldn't go back. By far the best headphones in the $250 range. Period.

I ordered a Lyr 2 finally! It'll be in tomorrow or Friday, and it's coming with thr LISST tubes so I'm excited to see how our impressions coincide

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #11,995 of 23,494
  Anyone here gone from the Bifrost Multibit DAC to the Gungnir Multibit DAC ??  I've been very happy with my Bifrost Multibit...and $1350 for the Gungnir Multibit is a lot of money for me....but I'm getting more and more curious about what exactly I'm missing.  Sure would like to hear someone's comparison of the two.

Is your amp balanced? My tube dac is balanced and I think I am going to go with a Mjolniir 2 as my next purchase. Been running my dac single ended since I got it.

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #11,996 of 23,494

This is sort of like the Modi Multibit verses the Bifrost Multibit discussion.

Yes, to me there are differences (not just the ability to go balanced) but is it worth the price?  I found a Gungnir MB on the for sale forums and am very happy.  
I kept the Bifrost MB also :)

The one "step up" improvements in the Schiit DAC line are real, yet many find them too close for the cost.  A two "step up" brings more differences (and more cost) yet perceived value may be greater.

Just get them all :wink: 

YMMV,
r2

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #11,998 of 23,494

Is your amp balanced? My tube dac is balanced and I think I am going to go with a Mjolniir 2 as my next purchase. Been running my dac single ended since I got it.

No, my amp is not balanced.

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #12,000 of 23,494
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Siemens-CCa-/122364351854
Jan 1962 Siemens grey shield CCa auction. 68 hrs left. 1 bid $180.

Tele CCa 1960? Looks like fat getter ring. Drools! $504.70.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Telefunken-CCa-E88CC-Small-Halo-Getter-late-1950s-Diamond-Tested-Good-/172498716578

Users who are viewing this thread

Back