Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 20, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #11,972 of 23,494
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiV3avx6J_SAhUKZIYKHUtZBiwYABAPGgJ2dQ&sig=AOD64_3RuRvuvSpwsQPUeQcryjEIFsMLOg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwi426Tx6J_SAhWhx4MKHQcVBHEQwg8IJw&adurl=

Not are if anyones thought of this before me for tube storage. Thoughts?

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #11,974 of 23,494
Any recommendations for a warm sounding, long lasting pair of tubes for Jazz?

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #11,975 of 23,494
Something from the Heerlen factory in Holland would be a good choice. Especially E188CC (7308) tubes although there are plenty of E88CC (6922) tubes too.

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #11,976 of 23,494
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiV3avx6J_SAhUKZIYKHUtZBiwYABAPGgJ2dQ&sig=AOD64_3RuRvuvSpwsQPUeQcryjEIFsMLOg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwi426Tx6J_SAhWhx4MKHQcVBHEQwg8IJw&adurl=

Not are if anyones thought of this before me for tube storage. Thoughts?

Shipping is pricey. Just 12x the price of the box.

Wow. I should have read that before I posted. I was just using it as an example. They have a bunch of different kinds.

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #11,977 of 23,494
  Any recommendations for a warm sounding, long lasting pair of tubes for Jazz?

Telefunken E188CC's were MADE for jazz.  Spendy...but if you're patient you can find a NOS or close to NOS pair for around $200-$225.  I'm a huge jazz fan and the Tele's are worth every penny.  A bit warmer than Siemens to my ears and so beautiful and pure.
If that's too steep, I'd agree with the Heerlen E188CC's (branded Philips/Valvo/Amperex/Dario...made in Heerlen, Holland...designated by a triangle in the date code) as a great choice.  Mullard E188CC's (4109's especially) might be worth a poke as well...if you can find them used.

Feb 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #11,978 of 23,494
  Just watched the end of bidding on these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/192102057212
I'm a bit surprised at the final price.  Anyone here snag them?

​I started bidding on them. I had estimated $90-120 auction price, then bidding became a little crazy. It isn't a weekend auction. Prices for premium glass has gotten silly.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #11,979 of 23,494
Feb 21, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #11,980 of 23,494
My Dario's were made in France . Those are a very nice tube for jazz. They're described as a meeting of Heerlen and reflektors. I'd say that's about right. Usually pop up for around $120. Solid tubes for sure. Most of the jazz I hear down here lacks subtlety . So different requirements. Noisy stuff, lots of bounce

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #11,982 of 23,494
I received my LISST solid state "tubes" in the mail today and rolled them right in to see what they are like. After an hour, I must say, they are a lot better than I expected them to be. Will they get any better after some burn in? Sure the higher ranges are more edgy than with tubes and in some cases a bit harsh. But the bass is clear and precise. The vocals aren't quite as pleasant as with tubes either. Maybe everything is just too precise.  But, I think I could listen to the LISST "tubes" at lower volumes without fatigue. I'll leave them in for a while and see what I think after a day or so.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #11,983 of 23,494
  I received my LISST solid state "tubes" in the mail today and rolled them right in to see what they are like. After an hour, I must say, they are a lot better than I expected them to be. Will they get any better after some burn in? Sure the higher ranges are more edgy than with tubes and in some cases a bit harsh. But the bass is clear and precise. The vocals aren't quite as pleasant as with tubes either. Maybe everything is just too precise.  But, I think I could listen to the LISST "tubes" at lower volumes without fatigue. I'll leave them in for a while and see what I think after a day or so.

I decided to keep some pairs I contemplated selling, something to chuck in when my kid comes for the summer, aint wasting PW or Siemens CCa for pc gaming or YouTube.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #11,985 of 23,494

I've been listening with the LISSTs since my Lyr 2 arrived a few days ago. I'm impressed, they sound excellent top to bottom to me, but my whole headphone rig (Lyr 2-->HE-400i) is new so I have no baseline yet. I expect to be using *real* tubes most of the time, but it's good to know the LISSTs can perform well and to have them in reserve. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back