Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 21, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #9,541 of 23,494
Haha same goes for me. I want to buy a new pair of tubes since the stock lyr-2 tubes sound really bad. But I have to prioritize my budget on the Sennheisers hd800s first :p. Ordering tomorrow :D

Slippery slope. Just clean and prep your plastic for a couple thousand of expenditures. Minimum.
Get used to those numbers, then you can enjoy the ride :)

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #9,542 of 23,494
Slippery slope. Just clean and prep your plastic for a couple thousand of expenditures. Minimum.
Get used to those numbers, then you can enjoy the ride :)

Now do not go and scare the man...
beerchug.gif

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #9,544 of 23,494
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valvo-E88CC-Tubes-PAIR-Gold-Pin-Amplitrex-tested-Good-6dj8-6922-CCa-/152132570058?hash=item236bcecbca:g:4Z0AAOSwmtJXYznz
After several painful messages found out 1 is German, the other UK. Just a heads up.

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #9,545 of 23,494
Hi guys, I'm going to be selling my Lyr 2 soon, which means I'll be separately asking a pair of '74 Reflektor silvers purchased from rb2013 and '75 Reflektor silvers purchased from MattOTG (I think that's his handle). Let me know if anyone in CONUS is interested.

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #9,546 of 23,494
Hi guys, I'm going to be selling my Lyr 2 soon, which means I'll be separately asking a pair of '74 Reflektor silvers purchased from rb2013 and '75 Reflektor silvers purchased from MattOTG (I think that's his handle). Let me know if anyone in CONUS is interested.

Interested in bulbs!

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #9,547 of 23,494
  LOL. Indeed.
beerchug.gif

Thinking that if he can get honest and guiltless about the money beforehand, he will be honest and merciless in his reviews when he gets stuck with a schiity/boring pair of tubes for $400!

Just kidding. It's all good. Really...

Indeed. Just don't get Schiit for delivering those really bad stock tubes :frowning2:

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #9,548 of 23,494
Jun 22, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #9,549 of 23,494

The stock tubes are not that bad...

They are. On low gain setting they are acceptable. Yet they sound muddy/suppressed (on low-volume) and even harsh (on high-volume). Middle-volume is fine but for long time listening it is a bit to loud and aggressive. Bass is okay-ish. Soundstage is good. The representation of vocals are good too. On high-gain setting they are even worse. I was hoping that the tube sound would open up after +150hours of burn-in. Yet that didn't happen. The sound is slighty better than on the start, but it is still not pleasing enough for me. I'd like to have a warmer and more alive-sounded pair of tubes. Might have a look to the Reflektor Holy Grail '75 6n23p SW, Mullards E188C, Telefunken E188C or the Siemens CCA's next month. Ordering my Sennheiser HD800S today. Then I am broke again for a month :D

6BZ7 Tubes Canadian. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #9,550 of 23,494
If you don't like the tubes after 150 hrs, doubt you will ever like them. You consider a less expensive set of cans and a great pair of tubes now rather than a hd800 with stock tubes? As i said before German tubes are not warm, you should not be considering them if you want warm.

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #9,551 of 23,494
If you don't like the tubes after 150 hrs, doubt you will ever like them. You consider a less expensive set of cans and a great pair of tubes now rather than a hd800 with stock tubes? As i said before German tubes are not warm, you should not be considering them if you want warm.

The Mullards are dutch right? Same with the Siemens CCA? Those are both warm right? Well I am kinda hoping that the sound-signature changes with the HD800S. I switched my Shure SRH1840's for my older Beyerdynamic 990 pro's and the soundsignature did improve (much warmer and much more bass). 
It might be not completely the default stock tubes their fault. Maybe it is just the Shure's SRH1840's (64 ohm) that doesn't pair well with the Lyr-2. 
I mean the BeyerDynamics 990 pro's (250 ohm) do sound better on either low or high gain-setting.

Saving money on a set of cans is not a option. I will regret that. I'll go for the Sennheiser's. Then the month after other tubes together with a DHC compliment4 cable. 

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #9,553 of 23,494
  The Mullards are dutch right? Same with the Siemens CCA? Those are both warm right? Well I am kinda hoping that the sound-signature changes with the HD800S. I switched my Shure SRH1840's for my older Beyerdynamic 990 pro's and the soundsignature did improve (much warmer and much more bass). 
It might be not completely the default stock tubes their fault. Maybe it is just the Shure's SRH1840's (64 ohm) that doesn't pair well with the Lyr-2. 
I mean the BeyerDynamics 990 pro's (250 ohm) do sound better on either low or high gain-setting.

Saving money on a set of cans is not a option. I will regret that. I'll go for the Sennheiser's. Then the month after other tubes together with a DHC compliment4 cable. 

Mullards are from the UK, Siemens from Germany.  Mullards are generally considered "warm," while Siemens are often thought of as... what?  Excellent with details, certainly, but may not butter your bread, as you've read from others in the past few days.  My Siemens E88CCs (including CCas) are detailed, balanced, with a good sound stage, but as Bill might say, they are not as "musical" as the best Heerlens (there's your Dutch).  So no, I wouldn't call the Siemens warm.

In the end you just gotta buy and try to find what suits your rig and your brain.

The stock tubes are OK on my rig, but Schiit isn't going to start shipping tubes that sell for well over $100, even if they had a stockroom full of them.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #9,554 of 23,494

I remember the stock tube as not especially exciting, but not that variable and outright bad. Don't think it's the low impedance of the 1840s either, that should not be a problem with the Lyr2.

You can double check the signal and power feed, might be something contaminating one of them and then being amplified. If you eliminate that then you know the problem is with the tube/amp/dac.
Power direct from the wall is always a good check, away from other equipment and wire.

If you are looking forward to the HD800s, this might be useful: read rb2013's 6922 Tube Review thread, or this shorcut post summary (post #342):
He used the Lyr1 and the HD800 (not the 800S).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/761078/6922-tube-review-17-top-6922-6n23p-e88cc-cca-7308-e188cc-tubes/330#post_12651200

The Black Dragons were part his solution to tame the highs of the HD800. You might not find any issue there with the HD800S. But important to note that he was using a different DAC.

I have the Lyr1 and 2, fed by the Gumby. I find all/most of the usual suspect tubes to be good with this combination, if it's a good pair of tubes. (Have not tried Mullards.) However I do have my own favorites, not exactly aligned with these choices.
(Don't have the time right now to list my favorites.) Thought the link might be at least one good summary perspective for the HD800S.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #9,555 of 23,494

Holland and UK tubes are warm sounding. German tubes generally are neutral sounding with a large soundstage and very detailed and accurate bass. The better German tubes like the Siemens e188cc and Telefunken e188cc are musical as well imo. You can probably add Siemens CCa to that list as well but i haven't heard them yet. I suggest buying cheaper tubes before putting big money into tubes that you might not care for. For example buying a set of used Telefunken ecc88 or something like that. That will give you a good idea what the better Telefunkens will sound like. I did a huge amount of research before spending a penny on tubes. The only set that i can't stand were a set of 75 Tesla e88cc that i over paid for at the tube museum. Sorry Tesla fans no offense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back