Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 4, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #8,536 of 23,494
From my experience with both the 74 and 75, the 74 are more analytical with more sparkle in the treble and a fat bass response. 75 are more musical with a better sound stage and little more balanced because of fuller mids. I kept both pairs . The lyr sometimes benefits from the more colorful tubes. Heerlens and to me , blackburns ,though they get a mixed response here. I love the tone and weight they bring to the mix. Ymmv

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #8,537 of 23,494
New proud owner of some Telefunken Ulm 60s and I gotta say they have really brought the Lyr to a new level. I don't know if I'll be tube rolling ever again really considering I paid $350 but I can say I'm officially satisfied with the value of the amp! I'm gonna try to buy a couple more headphones before I decide if I want to get any more amps. Maybe a T1 or a few mid-fi cans

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #8,538 of 23,494
New proud owner of some Telefunken Ulm 60s and I gotta say they have really brought the Lyr to a new level. I don't know if I'll be tube rolling ever again really considering I paid $350 but I can say I'm officially satisfied with the value of the amp! I'm gonna try to buy a couple more headphones before I decide if I want to get any more amps. Maybe a T1 or a few mid-fi cans

You most certainly will since they dont last forever :) But I wish that they last a long long long time for your sake :)

Personally I have listened to quite some tubes and it's hard to make a shootout. My personal favorites are the HG, the 74s are also quite good. I've actually listened to quite a few pairs and different matches of these. Honestly though properly matched Mullards (Blackburn/Mitcham they do sound quite similar I've listened to E188CC made for RTC '72 and blackburn ECC88 '64 and PCC88 '70), Heerlens(have listened only to properly matched E88CC SQ and Red Valvos, the E188CCs were crappily matched), French E188CC Darios, Teslas E88CC(Trinec and Roznov both sound amazing actually - except your head may hurt after long listening sessions) - will not disappoint you,  in fact some days you may just feel like rolling one or the other.

I'm on the road to trying some tungsram PCC88/E88CC and even the chinese 6N11.
I have not tried the high level siemens(or I have but one of the tubes was almost dead - should've known after seeing the almost white getter flashing), not a single pair of telefunkens, no pinched waists, crappy testing d-getters, basically the most expensive tubes and that's because I don't trust the sellers... I buy tubes that I can live with throwing away if they test crap.

But I do want to listen to some pinched waists, D-getters, telefunkens all that stuff :) It would be so interesting to compare I think, but we'll see currently focused on getting more and more HGs and 74s - so far working out great got 8 nicely matched pairs of HGs and 4 of the 74s with different levels of cathode emission and I can't make out a great difference between the stronger and weaker pairs as long as they are closely matched by Gm and Mu.

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #8,539 of 23,494

I did the same as you bought a set of Telefunken e188cc and thought that would be it. Including the stock tubes I'm up to 10 sets in about 6 weeks, hopefully you don't get the rolling bug, hard on the wallet. Almost wish I stayed with the as gard 2 and gustard h10 ss amps.

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #8,540 of 23,494

Glad to hear they worked out well for you. Expensive yes, but you will be enjoying the music long after you've forgotten the price! Also, nice short cut to the top; you could've easily spent the same amount for two or three pairs with problems. Enjoy :)

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #8,541 of 23,494
I did the same as you bought a set of Telefunken e188cc and thought that would be it. Including the stock tubes I'm up to 10 sets in about 6 weeks, hopefully you don't get the rolling bug, hard on the wallet. Almost wish I stayed with the as gard 2 and gustard h10 ss amps.

I don't want it T___T. I almost bought a cheaper pair of Amperex tubes at a meet last week, but they weren't interesting enough sounding to pull the trigger. Like Koikoo said earlier though, I'll probably need another pair for the future. But hopefully they'll last for a couple years and if I get another pair and I'm lucky, they'll be good for 4 years or more!

Glad to hear they worked out well for you. Expensive yes, but you will be enjoying the music long after you've forgotten the price! Also, nice short cut to the top; you could've easily spent the same amount for two or three pairs with problems. Enjoy :)

Yeah, I contemplated some mid range tubes but when I heard so many good things about these, I just pulled the trigger.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #8,542 of 23,494
Just got my 2nd set of reflector 1974 swgp, thinking about selling them but want to make sure they are genuine. I got tired of waiting for it, ordered feb 2 and they just came today but I ordered another set that I got last week. They have the reflektor logo 6n23n in the logo cccp stamp, roman numerals for the month 74 for the year. They look like the pics in the 6922 shootout thread, silver shield, upside down flying saucer with the single wire. Guessing the date codes are etched in? Got them from the Ukraine. Got no way to test if they are truly a matched pair. These tubes weren`t a whole lot of money so I ordered them. The 75`s I ordered from Russia have been stuck here since Tuesday ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS). I`m in NJ. Gessing they will be here next week.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #8,544 of 23,494
  @B-Dawk20 in that case I would look out for a good deal on another Tele and put them away for safe keeping, did you get the e88cc? The tubes may last a long time but with no warranty I would look out for a spare pair.

Yeah I got the e88cc. I might get another pair of those down the line or maybe try some of these Russian tubes or Bugle boys people seem to love so much.

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #8,545 of 23,494
Maybe send rb2013 a pm with pics. He'll verify the tubes if you have concerns.

Cheers
Just got my 2nd set of reflector 1974 swgp, thinking about selling them but want to make sure they are genuine. I got tired of waiting for it, ordered feb 2 and they just came today but I ordered another set that I got last week. They have the reflektor logo 6n23n in the logo cccp stamp, roman numerals for the month 74 for the year. They look like the pics in the 6922 shootout thread, silver shield, upside down flying saucer with the single wire. Guessing the date codes are etched in? Got them from the Ukraine. Got no way to test if they are truly a matched pair. These tubes weren`t a whole lot of money so I ordered them. The 75`s I ordered from Russia have been stuck here since Tuesday ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS). I`m in NJ. Gessing they will be here next week.

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #8,548 of 23,494
All right... Tungsram PCC88 yellow print made in the 70s - ******* exquisite, the sound is so similar to the HGs and the 74s - it's like something in the middle. Hard to find good matching but this serbian seller has been right by me - matching always checks out so far (got like 4-5 pairs from him).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCC88-7DJ8-Tungsram-Hungary-1971-NOS-Platinum-Matched-pair-/252247684697?hash=item3abb223659:g:Q8YAAOxyBjBTQ6rq

For 50$ a pair it's worth a shot if someone is looking, I'm starting to ponder if I like these more than the HGs, I guess the HGs win out by a bit.

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #8,549 of 23,494
I think those only work for Lyr 1. My pcc88 were awesome for a week. Then not so much

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #8,550 of 23,494
  All right... Tungsram PCC88 yellow print made in the 70s - ******* exquisite, the sound is so similar to the HGs and the 74s - it's like something in the middle. Hard to find good matching but this serbian seller has been right by me - matching always checks out so far (got like 4-5 pairs from him).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCC88-7DJ8-Tungsram-Hungary-1971-NOS-Platinum-Matched-pair-/252247684697?hash=item3abb223659:g:Q8YAAOxyBjBTQ6rq

For 50$ a pair it's worth a shot if someone is looking, I'm starting to ponder if I like these more than the HGs, I guess the HGs win out by a bit.

Thought of trying those several times. '71s are also available here (USA) at tubemonger:

http://www.tubemonger.com/MP_MINT_NOS_Tungsram_PCC88_Jan_Feb_MAR1971_Hungary_p/756.htm

Also has Ebay store:     http://stores.ebay.com/TubemongerUSA?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Users who are viewing this thread

Back