Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 13, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #7,201 of 23,494
  I'd love to hear the story from Schiit on how the rockets ended up being shipped with your Lyr, lol.

Probably just a mix up in shipping, they asked me if my box had a yellow sticker on it which it did not, so whoever is in charge of labeling boxes with stickers messed up.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #7,202 of 23,494
From your description the tubes are definitely not all the way in. I can see through the venting holes that the tube is not properly seated, I also felt that it only went in 1-2 mm. Here is a picture from the side http://imgur.com/QhV2iol. Never used Imgur, so hopes this works.

The question is what do I do now? I don't want to try brute force. I've tried wiggling with no luck, maybe I did not try long enough? I could get some socket savers and see if they go in, was thinking of maybe getting some anyway. I'm afraid if I get the tubes in I will never get them out in one piece, it's just so tight. I guess lubing is out?

I have not tried to turn the unit on, don't want to damage anything.

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #7,203 of 23,494
  From your description the tubes are definitely not all the way in. I can see through the venting holes that the tube is not properly seated, I also felt that it only went in 1-2 mm. Here is a picture from the side http://imgur.com/QhV2iol. Never used Imgur, so hopes this works.

The question is what do I do now? I don't want to try brute force. I've tried wiggling with no luck, maybe I did not try long enough? I could get some socket savers and see if they go in, was thinking of maybe getting some anyway. I'm afraid if I get the tubes in I will never get them out in one piece, it's just so tight. I guess lubing is out?

you could try caig deoxit as a lubricant.

Aug 13, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #7,204 of 23,494
Aug 13, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #7,206 of 23,494
Seems to me that if the pins are lined up correctly and partially in, they should go in all the way.  That said, you could go the socket saver route, esp. if you're considering a pair anyway.  In addition to that, or alone, you could remove the tubes and try the CAIG Gold that comes in the Vacuum Tube kit they sell.  I use that on all my tubes, and it definitely makes insertion and extraction easier.

It is a PITA to remove the tubes without savers, so I sympathize with your predicament of inserting them all the way only to end up pulling out your hair before the tubes come out.

Good luck.

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #7,207 of 23,494
I've been using the '75 Reflektor SWGP Silver Shield but want to get some pair of Orange Globes. 

There seems to be different variations of these--Orange Globe Pair 1969 Holland Amperex 6DJ8 ECC88 tubes. 
Which ones are the legendary Orange Globes (warm and rich tones) that work well with Grados.

Perhaps A10G?
Flat Plate Getter or O Getter?

​First pair were perfect--warm and thick.  
Second pair I purchased were really thin and bright. 

Link to Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1969-MATCH-PAIR-SWEET-WARM-TONE-A01G-/221822110137?hash=item33a5a0c9b9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Globe-Pair-1969-Holland-Amperex-6DJ8-ECC88-tubes-Tested-87-83-87-84-/181294949357?hash=item2a360563ed

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #7,208 of 23,494
  Seems to me that if the pins are lined up correctly and partially in, they should go in all the way.  That said, you could go the socket saver route, esp. if you're considering a pair anyway.  In addition to that, or alone, you could remove the tubes and try the CAIG Gold that comes in the Vacuum Tube kit they sell.  I use that on all my tubes, and it definitely makes insertion and extraction easier.

It is a PITA to remove the tubes without savers, so I sympathize with your predicament of inserting them all the way only to end up pulling out your hair before the tubes come out.

Good luck.

Hey Rangy- Socket Savers are a good thing indeed! 

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #7,209 of 23,494
  The stuff used for cleaning electrical contacts? Don't have any. How about ethanol meant for disinfection? Does not contain water, so could work.

I have not tried to turn the unit on, don't want to damage anything.

You have to press harder than you think you do.  They can handle it.  I had the same issue when I first got my Lyr 2.  I was really afraid these fragile looking tubes were going to shatter while trying to get them into the socket.  Easiest way to seat them is to roll them around the socket while you press down firmly.  They'll go in.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #7,210 of 23,494
If you scroll down there are lyr reviews with pictures of a properly functioning amp. Yes it's tough to get them in and out for a while. Just avoid sideways pressure. Look at the pins and sockets at an angle to check that it's true then push down until it stops. Looks like the picture.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #7,211 of 23,494
I just got a Lyr1 to pair with my HE-500's, and am extremely new to the tube amp and rolling game.  I am looking for a cheaper (under $50 pair) easy to find pair of tubes to try out.  I just want to try something that is different than the stock tube, even if that doesn't mean better.

I saw the recommendations on the front page for '60s Amperex 6DJ8 "Orange Globes" and '70s Voskhod 6n23p "Rockets" for under $100, but even cheaper suggestions would be appreciated

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #7,212 of 23,494
  I just got a Lyr1 to pair with my HE-500's, and am extremely new to the tube amp and rolling game.  I am looking for a cheaper (under $50 pair) easy to find pair of tubes to try out.  I just want to try something that is different than the stock tube, even if that doesn't mean better.

I saw the recommendations on the front page for '60s Amperex 6DJ8 "Orange Globes" and '70s Voskhod 6n23p "Rockets" for under $100, but even cheaper suggestions would be appreciated

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/matsu****a-national-pcc88-7dj8/ . No idea if you can find them cheaper somewhere else, but the description has me wanting to try them just to see what they sound like.

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #7,214 of 23,494
Thank you all for helping me with the tube instalment:) I decided to go the socket saver route, so I ordered two socket savers from Tubemonger. They have to be sent all the way to Scandinavia and go thorough customs, so will have to wait a few days. Until they arrive I will not try to get the tubes installed directly in the Lyr, would probably be very hard to get them out again. The socket savers will make it easier to switch tubes and looks better, so I'm happy:)

I will be using it with he-500 and he-400, so will be looking into some tubes that goes well with those headphones soon. Is there any shortlist with tubes that pairs well with the 500?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back