Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 7, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #7,186 of 23,494
Hello everyone.

How would you rate Philips SQ e88cc compared to Amperex Orange Globe or Amperex Bugle Boy. Which of these tubes is, according to you the best?

Aug 7, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #7,187 of 23,494
  Hello everyone.

How would you rate Philips SQ e88cc compared to Amperex Orange Globe or Amperex Bugle Boy. Which of these tubes is, according to you the best?

That's the great thing about tubes. There is no "best", there's just the ones you like the sound of most.

I prefer the Philips sound over the Amperex sound because I like clarity and extended top end for my old ears. They need all the help they can get. Others like the slightly bigger bass and softer top end of the Amperex sound.  It can also depend on what headphones you have and what source you use. All of the components of the chain can influence what tube sound you want to "finish" the chain.

So I provided no answer, only my opinion. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #7,188 of 23,494
Absolutely agree. I'm a heerlen guy myself. After all the rolling insanity that I went through, My Valvo CCa(yellows) ,take the cake. It definitely boils down to synergy, and preference.
That's the great thing about tubes. There is no "best", there's just the ones you like the sound of most.

I prefer the Philips sound over the Amperex sound because I like clarity and extended top end for my old ears. They need all the help they can get. Others like the slightly bigger bass and softer top end of the Amperex sound.  It can also depend on what headphones you have and what source you use. All of the components of the chain can influence what tube sound you want to "finish" the chain.

So I provided no answer, only my opinion. :D  

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #7,189 of 23,494
"Amperex" was a part of Philips by the time these tubes were being made.  Just thought I'd point that out.

@Guidostrunk hints at the key: where were the tubes made (i.e., which factory).  Other key factors are the tube type (E88CC vs. ECC88), as well as when they were made, which includes the change code.

So, the E88CC SQs mentioned are a bit different than "Orange Globes" and "Bugle Boys," which are primarily ECC88s, esp. as those names are used in this thread, and likely beyond.

Just some things to keep in mind when comparing tubes.  In the end, trust your ears 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #7,190 of 23,494
Does anyone have any opinion on the Telefunken Black Diamond E88CC's? I have some new Genalex - Gold Lion E88CC's, which I actually really like, I'm wondering how the Telefunken compare to them?

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #7,191 of 23,494
Does anyone have any opinion on the Telefunken Black Diamond E88CC's? I have some new Genalex - Gold Lion E88CC's, which I actually really like, I'm wondering how the Telefunken compare to them?

Hi I have used the Telefunken E88CC Black Diamonds, . The black diamonds have tight bass and the mids are detailed, some what smooth, though some notes have a slight edge to them. I use the Black Diamonds for my MrSpeakers ETHER's , the gold lions for the Alpha Primes and HE1K. I use my NOS Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes for special occasions, otherwise I use current production tubes.

Aug 12, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #7,192 of 23,494
Thanks for the reply Reddog, I've just gone for my second set of Tesla ECC88's over the Tele's. I have some cheap NOS mid 60's Tesla tubes and I've just gone for a different pair from the early 70's. Hopefully they'll sound as nice if not better than my current NOS pair.

d160b6oi2w0abdgv1.jpg

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #7,193 of 23,494
Hi I have used the Telefunken E88CC Black Diamonds, . The black diamonds have tight bass and the mids are detailed, some what smooth, though some notes have a slight edge to them. I use the Black Diamonds for my MrSpeakers ETHER's , the gold lions for the Alpha Primes and HE1K. I use my NOS Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes for special occasions, otherwise I use current production tubes.

Dude, you need a roommate.  Me.
biggrin.gif
  We can share tubes and cans, drifting off into audio bliss.  A couple of sound-dampened rooms and I think we'd be good to go 
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #7,194 of 23,494
Thanks for the reply Reddog, I've just gone for my second set of Tesla ECC88's over the Tele's. I have some cheap NOS mid 60's Tesla tubes and I've just gone for a different pair from the early 70's. Hopefully they'll sound as nice if not better than my current NOS pair.

d160b6oi2w0abdgv1.jpg

I haven't heard the modern Telefunkens, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trade either of my 1960s NOS Tesla E88CCs (that's what you've pictured, not the ECC88).

That said, look at the getter (holder) on that tube!  I've never seen one bent down so much.  Hope they work out for you 
beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #7,195 of 23,494
I'm approaching 200 hours on my steal-of-a-deal 1959 'D' getter Hamburg 'Valvo' E88CCs.  While the ECC804s were fine for the money, these Hamburg 'D' getters are why we spend hours scouring eBay and the larger 'Net for the really good deal.

Around 300 hours I'm going to do a quick comparison with the 1964 'A' frame Hamburg 'Valvo' E88CCs.  I think they'll be pretty similar.

Happy hunting, brothers!

Aug 12, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #7,196 of 23,494
Dude, you need a roommate.  Me. :D   We can share tubes and cans, drifting off into audio bliss.  A couple of sound-dampened rooms and I think we'd be good to go :wink:

Sounds great to me lol:)

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #7,197 of 23,494
Because you people know a lot about tubes I'll ask here about tube install.

Just got a Lyr. My first tube amp. For now I'm will be using the stock tubes. I am having trouble installing the tubes. I thought the tubes was going to sit closer to the socket and the pins would be all the way in. Now there is air between the socket and the tube itself. Is this the way it's suppose to be? The same goes for both tubes. It does not seem like they want to go further in. This is my first time installing tubes and I don't want to brake anything. I would upload a picture, but apparently I'm not allowed to.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #7,198 of 23,494
  Because you people know a lot about tubes I'll ask here about tube install.

Just got a Lyr. My first tube amp. For now I'm will be using the stock tubes. I am having trouble installing the tubes. I thought the tubes was going to sit closer to the socket and the pins would be all the way in. Now there is air between the socket and the tube itself. Is this the way it's suppose to be? The same goes for both tubes. It does not seem like they want to go further in. This is my first time installing tubes and I don't want to brake anything. I would upload a picture, but apparently I'm not allowed to.

The tubes need to be fully seated, no question.  I'm just wondering how you can tell that there is a gap between the bottom of the tubes and the sockets.  There's not much room to see.  So yeah, a photo would help.  You can use imgur.com, for example.  Someone in the DIY Cable Gallery just did that, being in the same boat.

I would say be careful pushing down on the tubes.  It shouldn't take that much force to get them fully seated.  You could also find photos of the Lyr to get a sense of how high the tubes are above the top of the chassis.  Schiit's site should suffice.

Have you tried using it and it doesn't work?  Anyway, get back to us with a photo or two.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #7,199 of 23,494
Just the top of the tube should be showing. Mine was tight as hell for a while. Still tight for removal, but they slide right in after a few times.

Aug 13, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #7,200 of 23,494
I did notice some transformer buzz the other day, nothing serious of note otherwise. Amp still working fine with the new e88cc tubes. Must have been a mix up on schiit's end in shipping. There is no labels on the tube box at all. Had I not splurged on some tubes I would have ran those for quite a while and maybe destroyed my amp and potentially cause a fire.

Update: Schiit is replacing the entire amp as a precaution.

I'd love to hear the story from Schiit on how the rockets ended up being shipped with your Lyr, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back