Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 1, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #6,631 of 23,494
Ah shucks Bill! :wink:. Glad to help a fellow worshipper of the Holy Tube!
Congrats on the incoming tubes!!!

Just waiting on one...the match to the 1956 Heerlen Valvo CCa E88CC PW that I already have.
Hey Eric, welcome to the Pinched Waist club. Hope the pair is treating you well.

Here's the Brent Jessee take on the very rare Holland Valvo CCa Pinched Waist tubes (mid-paragraph to end):

Cca:
Whew, these babies are so scarce there isn't even much info out there about them! Mentioned by audiophiles, usually in a reverent whisper, these gold pinned gems are about as good is it gets in 6DJ8-land. Matched triode sections, low noise screening, 10,000 hr. heater life expectancy, carefully controlled frame grid winding, low microphonics......the list goes on and on. This is regarded as one of the most detailed and three-dimensional sounding tube ever made in this family of tubes. Most of what is available is Siemens or Telefunken made, although there are a few very rare examples of Philips or Amperex Holland made out there. Since this was a tube made specifically for the German goverment and military, all that I have seen carry a German brand label, even those made in Holland. Even rarer are the Holland made Cca tubes with the pinched waist indented glass midsections, said to be the most sonically "3D" tube ever made, of any type. Finding these is akin to finding a 1795 gold piece in your attic! I don't believe there were any of these Cca tubes made in the USA. Awesome audiophile tubes! Yes, they are costly, but like most top flight NOS audio tubes, you get what you pay for. These Cca tubes will give you more improvement in sound than upgrades like expensive speaker cables that can cost 5 times as much as a pair of Cca tubes!

May 1, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #6,633 of 23,494
I found on ebay for 300$. I think it's a little too much. What is the acceptable price?

Johnny if you keep your eyes opened and are patient you can find NOS or near NOS pairs of Holland made Philips E188CC's or Holland made Valvo E188CC's for under $175 and I've snagged pairs for under $100. Make sure you check European ebay sellers. You can save $ by going with the E88CC's instead and can always find them between $75 and $100. I think the E188CC's are a bit more refined and have a bit more instrument separation in their soundstages than the E88CC's...but they both have that big, juicy "Miniwatt" midrange which is their signature sound. Don't feel like you HAVE to buy something today or tomorrow...you can always find deals on them.

May 1, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #6,634 of 23,494
Found these. Lol. Not sure how much they'll go for. PW's always go for more. Looking at the pictures though, it's hard to tell if they are PW's. Don't see a D getter either
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221758108412&alt=web

I found on ebay for 300$. I think it's a little too much. What is the acceptable price?

Johnny if you keep your eyes opened and are patient you can find NOS or near NOS pairs of Holland made Philips E188CC's or Holland made Valvo E188CC's for under $175 and I've snagged pairs for under $100. Make sure you check European ebay sellers. You can save $ by going with the E88CC's instead and can always find them between $75 and $100. I think the E188CC's are a bit more refined and have a bit more instrument separation in their soundstages than the E88CC's...but they both have that big, juicy "Miniwatt" midrange which is their signature sound. Don't feel like you HAVE to buy something today or tomorrow...you can always find deals on them.

May 1, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #6,635 of 23,494
Found these. Lol. Not sure how much they'll go for. PW's always go for more. Looking at the pictures though, it's hard to tell if they are PW's. Don't see a D getter either
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221758108412&alt=web

Jesus, sellers these days. 
confused_face.gif

Those are NOT pinched waist tubes. The batch code is a late 7LH, the date code is 1963, and as you pointed out, they have halo getters, not D's. Run of the mill Philips Holland E88CC's. Worth about $80/pair.

May 1, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #6,636 of 23,494
Jesus, sellers these days. :confused_face:

Those are NOT pinched waist tubes. The batch code is a late 7LH, the date code is 1963, and as you pointed out, they have halo getters, not D's. Run of the mill Philips Holland E88CC's. Worth about $80/pair.

I messaged that seller a couple days ago to let him know they weren't PWs. He has no idea what he's got. Thanked me and said if he's wrong he has a return policy.
He has another listing for I think it's a pair of USA made Amperex 6922's...says made in USA right on the tube of course. He says in his ad that HE thinks they are from Europe...or did he say Holland??? I thought for one second about messaging him again about codes but immediately decided it wasn't worth the effort.

May 1, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #6,637 of 23,494
I messaged that seller a couple days ago to let him know they weren't PWs. He has no idea what he's got. Thanked me and said if he's wrong he has a return policy.
He has another listing for I think it's a pair of USA made Amperex 6922's...says made in USA right on the tube of course. He says in his ad that HE thinks they are from Europe...or did he say Holland??? I thought for one second about messaging him again about codes but immediately decided it wasn't worth the effort.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

I've helped sellers out like this before... it is also a nice giveaway to check their other items for sale as they usually don't understand what their tubes are actually worth. 
beyersmile.png

May 1, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #6,639 of 23,494
OMG look at this auction.

14 pristine PW Holland tubes... 7L3 and 1957 production. All NOS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181726313564

*dies*

Ohhhh...my HEART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And since we're talking about idiot sellers, he has this incredible gold mine and doesn't even identify them as Pinched Waists.
Mike, I see investment possibilities for you !!!

May 1, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #6,640 of 23,494

OMG look at this auction.

14 pristine PW Holland tubes... 7L3 and 1957 production. All NOS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181726313564

*dies*

Ohhhh...my HEART !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And since we're talking about idiot sellers, he has this incredible gold mine and doesn't even identify them as Pinched Waists.
Mike, I see investment possibilities for you !!!

Let me just sell my car, TV, and uhhh maybe my fridge in the next hour and I should be able to make that investment.

Yeah seriously... that seller has no clue. I messaged them asking if they had any others, and told them they were very rare. No idea if they will fetch a better price being sold as a lot of 14. Probably...

May 1, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #6,642 of 23,494
Let me just sell my car, TV, and uhhh maybe my fridge in the next hour and I should be able to make that investment.

Yeah seriously... that seller has no clue. I messaged them asking if they had any others, and told them they were very rare. No idea if they will fetch a better price being sold as a lot of 14. Probably...

It's already close to not being much of a deal. At $500 a pair that's $3500 and the auction will jump at the end.
It IS amazing to see those beauties just like they came off the Heerlen line in 1957 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back