Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 7, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #21,796 of 23,494
OK, cool. Print me one of these, would 'ya? Note seller's name as one to avoid. His listing stated "Tested Good." No numbers provided, but then I only bid $9.99 for it and won the auction with that (and free shipping). Arrived today. Minimum good for a 7N7 on the 752A is 400, and NOS 7N7's test at 800 or so. Triode 1 at 425, triode 2 at 250. Different numbers but same story on the 539B -- first triode is just a hair above minimum, and the 2nd triode is a goner. If this guy tested the tube (which I doubt), his tester hasn't been calibrated since it was built. These kind of sellers just really piss me off. If I didn't have a tester (or 4 or 5), I'd just assume the tube was good....

Interesting about the 7n7, and every US tube manufacturer made them.

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2015/02/tube-of-month-7n7.html?m=1

Replacing you 6SN7 on your Lyr?

Jun 7, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #21,797 of 23,494
I really like these VALVO Hamburg 60s 6922s. Pretty full sound , good PRAT, but not pushy

upload_2019-6-7_15-38-22.jpeg

upload_2019-6-7_15-44-33.jpeg

Jun 7, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #21,799 of 23,494
Bunch of ECC82 in the last 6 months I bought were awful testing. Some triodes were around 700 on a 752. My first Brimar 12AU7 pair from Brent had 1 tube at 1,800-1,350 were advertised as 2,200-2,300 and very noisy. Second Brimar had triodes under 1,000 and noisy. Finally got a single around 2,500 for $37 bucks.

What testing numbers on the tube you want me to put on your tube box??

If you just want to use the raw (unmultiplied) number, put both triodes at 825. That'll be just a bit better than all the other NOS 7N7's I have, and I'll be so appreciative I got tubes from you that are guaranteed to work amazing in my gear. :stuck_out_tongue:

Jun 7, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #21,800 of 23,494
Interesting about the 7n7, and every US tube manufacturer made them.

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2015/02/tube-of-month-7n7.html?m=1

Replacing you 6SN7 on your Lyr?

Not sure where that guy is getting his info, but the majority of the stuff out there says that Sylvania and National Union were the only two manufacturers of this tube. When I first started rolling these, I got an RCA, a CBS, and a Tung-Sol. Damned if I could tell any sonic difference between them, and then when I took a close look inside they were all identical. Perfectly identical. Made me feel better that I wasn't suddenly losing my hearing. :slight_smile: I have not run across any definitive source that states with certainty who all made them, but from the hundred or so tubes that have passed through my hands I tend to think the 2-manufacturer story is likely correct.

The Frankentube 7N7 is all I listen to in the Lyr 3 any more. I haven't found anything yet that I like better overall.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #21,801 of 23,494
Is that a Heerlen delta acid etch in the 2nd tube 1st pic?

I do-no. This was the ad from AudioCircle. Are you serious or just causing trouble ?:wink:
I see similar/same reflections in other parts of the glass in images below

"Offered for sale a matched pair of Valvo Red label tubes.This is a premium E88CC with heavily plated gold pins.Manufactured 10/65 in Hamburg Germany.Both tested very high at 8500.No shorts or gas detected.

image.php

image.php

Jun 7, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #21,802 of 23,494
I really like these VALVO Hamburg 60s 6922s. Pretty full sound , good PRAT, but not pushy

You should have @TK16 re-silkscreen them for you so the labels match. :smile:

Jun 8, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #21,804 of 23,494
OK, cool. Print me one of these, would 'ya? Note seller's name as one to avoid. His listing stated "Tested Good." No numbers provided, but then I only bid $9.99 for it and won the auction with that (and free shipping). Arrived today. Minimum good for a 7N7 on the 752A is 400, and NOS 7N7's test at 800 or so. Triode 1 at 425, triode 2 at 250. Different numbers but same story on the 539B -- first triode is just a hair above minimum, and the 2nd triode is a goner. If this guy tested the tube (which I doubt), his tester hasn't been calibrated since it was built. These kind of sellers just really piss me off. If I didn't have a tester (or 4 or 5), I'd just assume the tube was good....

Sorry for your problem. Used/bad tubes in a box ≠NIB.

Now you have to sale it here. LOL.

Jun 8, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #21,805 of 23,494
Sure, but how does it sound? :wink:

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #21,806 of 23,494
Sorry for your problem. Used/bad tubes in a box ≠NIB.

Now you have to sale it here. LOL.

He didn't claim it was new, only that it tested good. I guess 'good' is a subjective term, but when one triode tests well below the minimum in 2 different and well calibrated testers, subjectivity doesn't apply. :relaxed: I shot him a message requesting my money back and a prepaid shipping label if he wanted the tube back. He refunded the money quickly (which is nice) but has not requested the tube back. So this makes me wonder if:

1) He actually tested the tube and his tester is way out of whack giving bad readings, or
2) He actually tested the tube, found it tested like crap, and hoped the purchaser wouldn't know the difference, or
2) He never tested the tube, is just taking my word that it tests bad, and doesn't want to spend another $3 or $4 in shipping to get it back just to throw it away.

I'll never know which, but if I sold a tube I'd tested and knew it was good and was told by the purchaser it tested bad, I'd want the tube back to see what was what. Spending a few dollars in shipping would be irrelevant.

Unfortunately I can't sell it to @Ripper2860 as he has an extremely well calibrated tester. :sob:

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #21,807 of 23,494
He didn't claim it was new, only that it tested good. I guess 'good' is a subjective term, but when one triode tests well below the minimum in 2 different and well calibrated testers, subjectivity doesn't apply. :relaxed: I shot him a message requesting my money back and a prepaid shipping label if he wanted the tube back. He refunded the money quickly (which is nice) but has not requested the tube back. So this makes me wonder if:

1) He actually tested the tube and his tester is way out of whack giving bad readings, or
2) He actually tested the tube, found it tested like crap, and hoped the purchaser wouldn't know the difference, or
2) He never tested the tube, is just taking my word that it tests bad, and doesn't want to spend another $3 or $4 in shipping to get it back just to throw it away.

I'll never know which, but if I sold a tube I'd tested and knew it was good and was told by the purchaser it tested bad, I'd want the tube back to see what was what. Spending a few dollars in shipping would be irrelevant.

Unfortunately I can't sell it to @Ripper2860 as he has an extremely well calibrated tester. :sob:
He likely knew it was garbage, the $33 pair of Brimar ECC82 square getters were advertised as "tested good". I messaged him as soon as I found out some triodes were under 1,000, think I remember 1 being 700. He immediately sent me a full refund plus return shipping. below is my purchase. Noisy as heck too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boxed-Pair...loped-Square-Getters-Tested-Good/173872122295
Found the test.
710-1,600 700-1,400

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #21,808 of 23,494
Here’s what I think. You guys are tube experts, seriously, when compared to me.
I believe a “lot” of sellers sell Schiit and hope that the buyer looks at the tubes, they look pretty to them, they work initially when you slap them into your amp the first time amd that’ll be the end of it for the seller. You guys do this day in and day out, sonit seems. Even though I rarely post anymore, I’m still in this thread daily. You guys buy a LOT of tubes. Lol

I also believe a lot of buyers won’t even send a tube back if it’s noisy. If you don’t personally own a tester, there’s not too many ways of telling if a tube will test good unless the innards of that specific tubes construction is whacked and it’s not the tube that was advertised.

I won’t buy tubes any longer from eBay and will only buy from the guys from this thread. The first time I get burned from anyone here will be the last time I buy tubes ever again.
The thing is, I don’t believe that’ll happen plus I have enough tubes to last all of us for the rest of our lives anyway.

If anyone that’s new to this thread reads this, buy from these guys here, especially @TK16 and @AuditoryCanvas. F eBay if you don’t have a tester.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #21,809 of 23,494
He likely knew it was garbage...

Instant refund with no questions asked and no request to get the tube back....as much as I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, I have to agree with you.

...the $33 pair of Brimar ECC82 square getters were advertised as "tested good". I messaged him as soon as I found out some triodes were under 1,000, think I remember 1 being 700. He immediately sent me a full refund plus return shipping. below is my purchase. Noisy as heck too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boxed-Pair...loped-Square-Getters-Tested-Good/173872122295
Found the test.
710-1,600 700-1,400

I think this is the problem:

upload_2019-6-8_10-47-46.png

I'll admit that I have no clue what a "High Speed" tester is, but I'm guessing it's so fast there's no time to see what the readings are. :slight_smile:

Jun 8, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #21,810 of 23,494

Users who are viewing this thread

Back