Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 25, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #2,056 of 23,494
Speaking of new headphones - I was reading about the new Planars on the block - the Oppo headphone PM-1. These are really beautiful cans. I love my Senn HD800s, especially with the excellent Moon Black Dragon V2 cables, but have been looking to get a pair of Planars to compliment them. The LCD 3s or Xs at the top of the list (reading the review below makes me more interested).

Here is great shootout with the LCD2s, HD800s, the PM-1s, and a few others...a good read.

Http://www.head-fi.org/t/717989/totl-hp-shootout-oppo-pm-1-hd800-lcd2-2-t1-he500-fostex-th900-hd650-hd600

May 25, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #2,057 of 23,494
I am trying to sell my LCD 2 but perhaps the Lyr+Bifrost just doesn't do it justice. 

Might hold onto them a bit longer. 

May 25, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #2,058 of 23,494
Ok I ordered a Telefunken E88CC from Upscale, for the ultimate 6922 soundoff. An Amperex '59 Pinched Waist D getter, a Telefunken E88CC, and the '75 6n23p 'Holy Grail', and I'll toss in a '58 Amperex BB and a Amperex OG for kicks, as I have singles of these hanging around.

Oh man, my fingers are burning already!

May 25, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #2,059 of 23,494
I am trying to sell my LCD 2 but perhaps the Lyr+Bifrost just doesn't do it justice. 

Might hold onto them a bit longer. 
The LCDs are very euphonic headphones, you either like their sound or don't. I've held off, hoping for better versions, and they are coming. They are the bass kings though, and I like rich, dark chocolate sound. So have been looking to add them to HD800s.

What would get to replace them?

May 26, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #2,060 of 23,494
The LCDs are very euphonic headphones, you either like their sound or don't. I've held off, hoping for better versions, and they are coming. They are the bass kings though, and I like rich, dark chocolate sound. So have been looking to add them to HD800s.

What would get to replace them?

I like the sound, but the veil that is often spoken of does exist. I would like something with similar bass extension but more clarity.
Going for the LCD3 is too much for me at the moment. Perhaps the T1, significantly cheaper, between 8-900$ on amazon. I just dont like the fact that the cable is fixed. I would like a planar though. Maybe the HE-6. Question is if either of  these two work well with the lyr?

May 26, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #2,061 of 23,494
I like the sound, but the veil that is often spoken of does exist. I would like something with similar bass extension but more clarity.
Going for the LCD3 is too much for me at the moment. Perhaps the T1, significantly cheaper, between 8-900$ on amazon. I just dont like the fact that the cable is fixed. I would like a planar though. Maybe the HE-6. Question is if either of  these two work well with the lyr?

HE-560?

May 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,062 of 23,494
HD700s about $800? Or a used pair of HD800 - $1200 on Amazon. The Lyr has the power to drive the HE-6, and they need power to sound good.

Have you read the epic review of these HPs?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

May 26, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #2,063 of 23,494
HD700s about $800? Or a used pair of HD800 - $1200 on Amazon. The Lyr has the power to drive the HE-6, and they need power to sound good.

Have you read the epic review of these HPs?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13

Yes, Ive based all of my HP purchases on that thread. I do though have the HD800s. I would like something to compliment them. I think I will eventually be getting the HE-6, since it seems that the T1 might be a slight step down from the LCD2. Ive seen LCD2 sell for around 750$ used on ebay. I can probably get an open box pair of the HE-6 for around 1k.

HD800s are just such a good all around HP though that I dont think anything I will be able to afford will replace them in the near future. So complimenting them is what Im going for. Something to listen to those old tracks that don't necessarily have that optimum recording quality. The LCD2 does that job wonderfully. I think I'm convincing myself to keep them now hehe. 

May 26, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #2,064 of 23,494
Lucky fellow! I had a pair of he500s I bought on Audiogon, that came with a Moon cable. They sounded good, but weren't to comfortable.

Btw, the Moon Black Dragon cable makes a very nice improvement in the hd800 sound. I had a Warren Audio cable that failed after several yrs of steady use. Went back to the stock - what a let down. Wanted a Stephan Audio Art - but there was a 6 month wait list after paying in full. I couldn't listen that long to the stock cable. So I went with Moon, it was cheaper as well, free trail too. I'm really happy I did.

May 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #2,065 of 23,494
Lucky fellow! I had a pair of he500s I bought on Audiogon, that came with a Moon cable. They sounded good, but weren't to comfortable.

Btw, the Moon Black Dragon cable makes a very nice improvement in the hd800 sound. I had a Warren Audio cable that failed after several yrs of steady use. Went back to the stock - what a let down. Wanted a Stephan Audio Art - but there was a 6 month wait list after paying in full. I couldn't listen that long to the stock cable.

That is good to know, Ive always been skeptical but many people have made the same claim about the stock cable.  Im still using just the stock cable unfortunately. Perhaps a new cable is what Im looking for. But for 300$ I can buy a new set of tubes, oh the choices the choices. 

I listened to the LCD2 again this morning (first time in a few weeks) and I do miss the depth of these things. The treble is defiantly not as harsh as my HD800s and have an overall liquidity that just shines on some tracks. One album I listened to was Heavy Horses, Jethro tull. A song like Journeyman is were the LCD2 really shine. They defiantly add more "emotion" to this song, were as the HD800s sound more technical (not a bad thing) and less colored (again not a bad thing) and a bit bright (sometimes bad, perhaps its the cable). Both are still top notch in their own respects. 

May 26, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #2,066 of 23,494
The Moons tamed the hd800s sometimes sibliant nature, removed that hint of edge, the tone richer, but just as extended.. But more then that they deepen and filled out the hd800s bass. The soundstage became deeper as well. Overall the I don't think I have kept the hd800s with the stock cable. Would have moved to the totl Stax.

Getting the Lyr with the right tubes also livened up the dynamics of the hd800s. I had a Woo WA6-SE before, with tricked out caps and nos tubes. Very nice, extremely musical, but a bit to polite. The Lyr was way more exciting, if not as musical. That was before over a year of massive tube rolling.
Now - the Lyr leaves the reputable Woo in the dust. With the '75 HGs even more musical. And just hugely hypnotic.

I think it's just a pefect synergy. But one that took a lot of effort, trail and error to achieve.

May 26, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #2,067 of 23,494
Ok I ordered a Telefunken E88CC from Upscale, for the ultimate 6922 soundoff. An Amperex '59 Pinched Waist D getter, a Telefunken E88CC, and the '75 6n23p 'Holy Grail', and I'll toss in a '58 Amperex BB and a Amperex OG for kicks, as I have singles of these hanging around.

Oh man, my fingers are burning already!

Really looking forward to your impressions. My tube rolling has produced my "fave", the Tele from Upscale, however my experience is very limited compared to yours. The best Rusky I have are my Cryo Gold Lions which I believe are the best current production. I will wait for your soundoff impressions, and then perhaps pursue the 6n23p. I do have the option to get with gmahler2u, as we live in the same city, and he has the 6n23p. At this point I have decided the Amperex sound may not be for me, however the tubes you are working with far exceed my limited experience. On another topic RE: ortho/phones. I recently sold my Koss ESP 950's to "farrel" in China, check out his current inventory. His stable of stats is legendary. Some, "Kevin Gilmore", included, rate the Koss in their top 4. I corresponded with Kevin regarding mods to the 950's.  I sold them because my self modded T50RP's sound way better, with the Lyr optimised for my setup, really! Anyway, trust me if you are willing to mod the T50RP's via the "BMF Flyer" thread, many HeadFier's think YOU can exceed the LCD-2s, HE-500's, etc. Just my 2 cents, btw I have some kevlar gloves I can send you regarding that "tube rolling thang" satwilson 

May 26, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #2,068 of 23,494
Really looking forward to your impressions. My tube rolling has produced my "fave", the Tele from Upscale, however my experience is very limited compared to yours. The best Rusky I have are my Cryo Gold Lions which I believe are the best current production. I will wait for your soundoff impressions, and then perhaps pursue the 6n23p. I do have the option to get with gmahler2u, as we live in the same city, and he has the 6n23p. At this point I have decided the Amperex sound may not be for me, however the tubes you are working with far exceed my limited experience. On another topic RE: ortho/phones. I recently sold my Koss ESP 950's to "farrel" in China, check out his current inventory. His stable of stats is legendary. Some, "Kevin Gilmore", included, rate the Koss in their top 4. I corresponded with Kevin regarding mods to the 950's.  I sold them because my self modded T50RP's sound way better, with the Lyr optimised for my setup, really! Anyway, trust me if you are willing to mod the T50RP's via the "BMF Flyer" thread, many HeadFier's think YOU can exceed the LCD-2s, HE-500's, etc. Just my 2 cents, btw I have some kevlar gloves I can send you regarding that "tube rolling thang" satwilson 
It should interesting, now it won't be in the Lyr, but in my Xindak dac5, but I will be listening with the Lyr. The Lyr/hd800 is an awesome viewing lens to get the finer tube differences.
The T50RPs with mods are very interesting. I tried the Mad Dogs, which sounded pretty good but weren't to comfortable. I had the he500s with the Moon cable, also at the time. I thought the he500s sounded better. The Mad Dogs are pretty dark hps. But again comfort was an issue - the hd800s are so darn comfortable, I guess I'm spoiled.

Now if could only borrow a Seimens CCa for the roll-off!
I'm thinking worst case, I can run the winner in my dac, if not sell them.

Gmahler has an amazing 6n23p collection, he'd be a great person to get a taste of the Voskhod magic.

May 26, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #2,069 of 23,494
The Moons tamed the hd800s sometimes sibliant nature, removed that hint of edge, the tone richer, but just as extended.. But more then that they deepen and filled out the hd800s bass. The soundstage became deeper as well. Overall the I don't think I have kept the hd800s with the stock cable. Would have moved to the totl Stax.

Getting the Lyr with the right tubes also livened up the dynamics of the hd800s. I had a Woo WA6-SE before, with tricked out caps and nos tubes. Very nice, extremely musical, but a bit to polite. The Lyr was way more exciting, if not as musical. That was before over a year of massive tube rolling.
Now - the Lyr leaves the reputable Woo in the dust. With the '75 HGs even more musical. And just hugely hypnotic.

I think it's just a pefect synergy. But one that took a lot of effort, trail and error to achieve.

One option I was considering instead of replacing the LCD2 with new HP was buying a WA6-SE. So in your opinion, sticking with the Lyr and just tube rolling is probably a reasonable option? The thought of adding another tube to my setup does scare me. Or a new DAC.....​

May 27, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #2,070 of 23,494
One option I was considering instead of replacing the LCD2 with new HP was buying a WA6-SE. So in your opinion, sticking with the Lyr and just tube rolling is probably a reasonable option? The thought of adding another tube to my setup does scare me. Or a new DAC.....​
Oh getting a WA6-SE opens an even bigger tube rolling challenge. It uses tube rectification, and those aren't cheap. As well as driver tubes. Honestly, the Lyr with right tubes is better, at least to my ears. I had my Woo for over a year, so I knew it's sound well. Now I'm a big tube DAC fan, that could be an option. But you may want to look further up the chain. What is your source, cd spinner or computer server?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back