Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #136 of 23,493
Quote:
Hey guys, 

I bought some Amperex globes on ebay, and they sound really great (just got them today), however, there is a lot tube noise. I didn't experience any of this noise from the stock GE tubes I received for Schiit. 

Do you guys have any tips on how I can make the tube noise go away? I've tried switching the positions of the tubes and have been playing around with their position trying to get silence but nothing is working :frowning2:

I'm really liking these tubes, but the noise is getting a bit annoying. Its always present in the background :/

That may go away with burn in.  Can you describe the noise?  Do you have any dampers installed?  Did you clean the pins before you installed them?

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #137 of 23,493
hmm I have tried wiggling it around (many times to try to get the static sound to end).

I've gotten to a point to where it's not as bad as before, but I can still hear a faint static sound when I don't have any music playing. :frowning2: 

Should I clean the pins? Or did I just buy some bad tubes off Ebay? (this is my first time tube rolling, and I have really mixed feelings so far lol)

Thanks for the help everyone!

I posted before the response above 
tongue.gif

hmmm best way I can describe is that it's kind of like a thin crackling/hum sound. (kind of like a single coil hum)

I actually don't have any dampers nor have I cleaned the pins before I installed them. (I'm not sure which dampers to get or what kind of products to clean the pins)

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #138 of 23,493
Quote:
hmm I have tried wiggling it around (many times to try to get the static sound to end).

I've gotten to a point to where it's not as bad as before, but I can still hear a faint static sound when I don't have any music playing. :frowning2: 

Should I clean the pins? Or did I just buy some bad tubes off Ebay? (this is my first time tube rolling, and I have really mixed feelings so far lol)

So...Did you move the amp or re-arrange any gear, WiFi router, cordless phones, etc...?

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #139 of 23,493
Quote:

Sometimes they take a bit of time to settle in after being shipped. I have had tubes delivered that were hissing and popping then they just clear up after a day or two.

A little bit of Deoxit on the pins never hurts. If they are not gold pins, a fine grain sandpaper across the pins works as well.

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #140 of 23,493
hey guys, going to be a LYR owner very soon :3 just wanted to ask, how better is the [size=small]Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globes compared to the stock tubes, tell me more about the leap. [/size]

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #142 of 23,493
Quote:
IMHO orange globes kill stocks I personally do not like GE stocks at all
I am looking to sell a bunch of tubes cheap if you are interested

i want a good "AWESOME AMPEREX ORANGE GLOBE 6DJ8 ECC88

saw them for like 30$ on ebay and 6$ shipping

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #143 of 23,493
i want a good "AWESOME AMPEREX ORANGE GLOBE 6DJ8 ECC88

saw them for like 30$ on ebay and 6$ shipping
Ebay can be a tricky place to buy tubes. $30 seems like a very low price, probably too low. Here's a pair from a very trusted vendor:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=221252560955

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #144 of 23,493
the store(Dubai Audio) only have LYR, is pairing it with my Yulong D100 MKII is a bad idea? the D100 MKII's is known to be with a very good DAC. 

Jul 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #145 of 23,493
Quote:
IMHO orange globes kill stocks I personally do not like GE stocks at all
I am looking to sell a bunch of tubes cheap if you are interested

I second this.  HUGE improvement.  I'm currently burning in Voskhod silver shield '79s and have about 45-50 hours so far, and the Orange Globes are still noticeably better to my ears.  I purchased the Voskhods recently because of the hype and low price, but honestly once I heard the Orange Globes I didn't feel much incentive to try anything else, they are that good with my HE-500.  The Voskhods still hold their own though, and they may get better with another 50 hours or so.

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #147 of 23,493
Please bare in my mind I'm still a tube rookie, so here's my favorites:

HD650
Amperex USN-CEP's mid 60's o-getter
Amperex Orange Globe late 60's o-getter
Ediswan- this is tricky, because I got them from Upscale Audio. I've been told these are actually Brimar tubes, rebranded as Ediswan. Regardless, they sound great.

HE400- This is a more difficult headphone to declare my favorite, mostly because with certain recordings some tubes are more preferred than others. Enough to say, my 3 favorites are the same as above, but the order is recording dependent. For both headphones, Telefunken comes in fourth, mainly because my pair's lack of bass.

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #148 of 23,493
Quote:

I posted before the response above 
tongue.gif

hmmm best way I can describe is that it's kind of like a thin crackling/hum sound. (kind of like a single coil hum)

I actually don't have any dampers nor have I cleaned the pins before I installed them. (I'm not sure which dampers to get or what kind of products to clean the pins)

Well, cleaning the pins is essentially free at this point.  What could it hurt?

If you have a small X-Acto knife you can scrape the pins, just be careful you don't cut yourself.  If you don't have an X-Acto knife just some scothbrite or fine grade sandpaper would be good.

Once you've cleaned them with a knife or scotchbrite you can wipe them down good with isopropyl alcohol.

BTW, I should have said that you only want to do this if the pins aren't gold plated.  If they're gold plated then just wiping with isopropyl alcohol should be fine.

In an ideal world, you would dress the pins with deoxit after cleaning, this will help prevent the pins oxidizing all over again.  This is good to do, but not a required step.

This might help, but it is always possible that you bought some noisy tubes.  The tubes we deal with, a lot of them anyway, are very old, it's not uncommon to get bad tubes.  

But you should really wait at least until they're burned in before deciding they're beyond salvaging them.

The dampers I'm mentioned may help also.  I got mine from Herbie, but there are other sources.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/tube.htm

Jul 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #149 of 23,493
Quote:
Ebay can be a tricky place to buy tubes. $30 seems like a very low price, probably too low. Here's a pair from a very trusted vendor:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=221252560955

Yeah, you can trust Mercedesman.

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back