Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 27, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #121 of 23,493
Quote:
I just got my wad of tubes...The 79 Silver Shield Rockets from billerB and the ones from Brent Jesse (Siemens 1972 A Frame, Amperex 1972 PQ Orange). I popped the Rockets in about an hour ago and there is a world of difference here on my SACD8004/Lyr/HD800 setup from the stock GE's! My lower and upper mids are back. Bass has good extension, much much improved (I will be interested to see if they can tighten up the loose bass on my Denon AHD2000's). HD800's are just noticeably faster and more sparkly overall, pulling in details left and right. I've never noticed those bells in the chorus of Starship's "Nothings Gonna Stop Us Now". Iron Maiden's "Revelations" has massive air between everything and is more powerful than I am used to hearing it. Midrange details are much sharper. Soundstage is roughly the same, maybe a tad bigger, but the sound is much more effortless.

Strike one up for the Ruskies. They are damn impressive.

Still have a matched pair of '80 Silver Shield Voskhod Rockets available for 20 bucks...on par with the 79's to my ears. PM me.

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #122 of 23,493
Quote:

Much better for me than both. In comparison the Matsush!ta sound fat and exaggerated and have a slight opacity. The set of JJs I have are just crystal clear and really exceptional. When I first got the Matsu's I thought they were great tubes and they are good but they are not as refined. The JJs have amazing clarity, refinement and PRAT and I am pretty happy with them, so much so I haven't rolled in a while now.

Last weekend we had a big shootout with all my tube sets and also an Asgard 2 as a point of comparison and the results really helped me shape what sort of sound I want and get some realistic expectations of how to achieve it. I was somewhat surprised by the tubes that ended up on top, and very few of them were the expected big name types.

I think Schiit just sends out those GE 6BZ7 as they are easy for them to get and they sound like everyone thinks tubes should sound. 

Thanx.  I ordered a pair to see. Given the description I hope that I will not be back with exactly the same sound as my Nad :)

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #123 of 23,493
I declare I am offically never going to  buy another headphone , another tube, anything is forbidden. 

Enough is enough. I never need more than this. There are more beautiful things to use my time to contribute to than donating hard earned bucks to excessive audio gears.

Blasphemer!!!

Jul 28, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #126 of 23,493
Hey guys, 

I bought some Amperex globes on ebay, and they sound really great (just got them today), however, there is a lot tube noise. I didn't experience any of this noise from the stock GE tubes I received for Schiit. 

Do you guys have any tips on how I can make the tube noise go away? I've tried switching the positions of the tubes and have been playing around with their position trying to get silence but nothing is working :frowning2:

I'm really liking these tubes, but the noise is getting a bit annoying. Its always present in the background :/

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #128 of 23,493
Are the pins clean? Hate to recommend you wiggle them with a bad connection as things could blow up.. but.. crazy folk like me sometimes do it to isolate. Maybe connect a cheap pair of phones and wiggle tubes a tiny bit. If it gets better/worse/hear noise... it's usually a connectivity thing.

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #129 of 23,493
Quote:
Hey guys, 

I bought some Amperex globes on ebay, and they sound really great (just got them today), however, there is a lot tube noise. I didn't experience any of this noise from the stock GE tubes I received for Schiit. 

Do you guys have any tips on how I can make the tube noise go away? I've tried switching the positions of the tubes and have been playing around with their position trying to get silence but nothing is working :frowning2:

I'm really liking these tubes, but the noise is getting a bit annoying. Its always present in the background :/

Hey man,

Did you change the position of where your amp sits at all? I've heard of the tubes picking up interference from RF devices like routers, cordless phones, etc...Anything change besides the tubes? Can't wait to hear my '69 OG if the stock GE sound this good!

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #130 of 23,493
I am having the same problem with the 1972 Siemens 6922's I got. I'm hoping it will go away with some burn-in. Can't say I'm blown away by the sound at this point, they sound slow, muddled and lifeless compared to the Rushkies, the humming aside.

Got a chance to swap in the Amperex's. They have a touch of warmth to them, but the treble is really strident on them. Again, hoping that will ease with burn-in. After about an hour, they either adjusted or my mind started playing tricks on me. They worked better on the mid-forward AD2000x's, I think (I believe they start to naturally dip somewhere around 2 khz).

The HD800 just really seems to gel well with the Voshkods. I haven't gotten the same sense of speed from the others.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #131 of 23,493
I retried the Stock GE... I have not left long ...  Sounds very bad. Ok the Soundstage is good,but it's the only thing. Mids are really down, and the whole gives a very unrealistic rendering. In summary certain frequencies out much, others not at all.

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #132 of 23,493
I retried the Stock GE... I have not left long ...  Sounds very bad. Ok the Soundstage is good,but it's the only thing. Mids are really down, and the whole gives a very unrealistic rendering. In summary certain frequencies out much, others not at all.

You must have gotten a really crappy set! I think mine were hand selected by the baby Jesus and given to Jason at Schiit in a dream and then were predestined to be deliver to me on last Friday! I think I see his father when I listen now.....(baby Jesus' father , not Jason's)

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #133 of 23,493
Quote:
You must have gotten a really crappy set! I think mine were hand selected by the baby Jesus and given to Jason at Schiit in a dream and then were predestined to be deliver to me on last Friday! I think I see his father when I listen now.....(baby Jesus' father , not Jason's)

Amen :)
Well I may be exaggerating, they have a clear sound but the mids really back and not detailed. But I'm sure the tubes are normal... probably it's a matter of taste.

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #135 of 23,493
Quote:
Mine do sound pretty good, but my Amperex Orange Globe come on Monday, so well see how I feel about the GE sound in a week!

I also expect the Orange! For now Matsusch!ta are my favorite (I have also Siemens ECC85, they have nothing in particular, neither good nor bad, little soundstage). I think once you've tried the Orange, you'll understand what I mean for the stock tubes ... 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back