Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #8,240 of 8,735
Jul 4, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #8,241 of 8,735
Quote:
How do the Telefunkens from upscale audio sound? I've ordered those as well.

Are they 1968 date codes U3218104?

you just ordered them? which kind?maxed out spec or the cheapest|? i haven't got them yet man

you know what i am pissed about\? i paid 270 bucks for regular teles from tubemuseumusa and that was on their lowest sale.

i paid 80 bucks for the national matsusita tubes on tubemonger where as upscale sells cryo platinum teles and nationals for the same price.--and I bought them again there because even if I can't return the ones I bought as worse deals, I am not passing off the better deals because I don't consider myself losing when I actually own double the stuff.--not that I will every finish 10k life on them. will they last a life time|? maybe, better than lasting only a year, what's wrong with having a spare pair if I can and want to afford it.

oh, and the tungsram tubes that tubemonger sells for 50 bucks? people can bid them for 30 bucks on ebay

as for folks searching for entry level tubes, ebay has people selling 8 packs of tubes for 20-30 bucks that are each going to be at least 10-20 standalone bucks , just gotta do some finding.

tubemonger is the only place to get socket savers for lyr though afaik. go on ebay instead of their site, they have 30 buck pairs with minor cosmetic defect. they claim it's 100% functional. msrp on their site is 50 a pair, which is what I paid for,

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #8,243 of 8,735
Hi there. I’m new to Head-Fi and this is my first post from France.

And I have a question…
...yes...
...do not be impatient, it is just below :)

I own a Lyr with tubes GE 6BZ7 I listen with hifiman HE-500.
It’s cool. Compared to my Nad amp C 356BEE the Lyr is softer, less aggressive and the soundstage is better. But the accuracy of the tones I miss quite a lot : for example, precision sound of a violin (or female vocal) seems to me diluted in echo. Do you see what I mean ?
Pleaaaaase, tell me you understand the problem !! :)

The bass impact is slightly lower but also it bothers me less. Bref bref, in a word, the Lyr seems to miss a few details in the tones.

Ah, the question.
Do you know what tubes can improve it with my HE-500 (not too expensive, around 50 $ a pair or less if possible) ?

(clarification: I've asked Jason Stoddard but he does not want to recommend me tubes he does not sell.)

Merci in advance to the super expert who can shed me some light!

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #8,244 of 8,735
Damn it! I cant find [size=small]Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globes '68 anywhere. Mercedesman had some but i was a little too late.[/size]

[size=small]Is there a huge difference between 1968 and 1975 tubes?[/size]

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #8,245 of 8,735
Quote:
Damn it! I cant find [size=small]Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globes '68 anywhere. Mercedesman had some but i was a little too late.[/size]

[size=small]Is there a huge difference between 1968 and 1975 tubes?[/size]

don't people usually vibe that the older the better? anyone knows why?

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #8,246 of 8,735
Quote:
don't people usually vibe that the older the better? anyone knows why?

Might be true for a certain tube, but i don't think it can be applied to vacuum tubes as a whole.

As time went on i'd imagine processes were refined and technologies matured and improvements were made, maybe in certain cases the later tubes cut corners to save costs and used cheaper materials so don't sound as good, depends on the tube methinks.

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #8,247 of 8,735
Quote:

Might be true for a certain tube, but i don't think it can be applied to vacuum tubes as a whole.

As time went on i'd imagine processes were refined and technologies matured and improvements were made, maybe in certain cases the later tubes cut corners to save costs and used cheaper materials so don't sound as good, depends on the tube methinks.

yeah,  I think generally that is how it's going to be I mean, I am not old and I don't need to be old to know and feel and experience old stuff and their obvious hearty quality. And of course a kid knows how made in china flood the modern world. But still, if I can call it a neutral draw, it would come down to preference. I really hate people going negative about either the newschool or the oldschool, or neglecting either's merit.

Jul 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #8,248 of 8,735
Quote:
yeah,  I think generally that is how it's going to be I mean, I am not old and I don't need to be old to know and feel and experience old stuff and their obvious hearty quality. And of course a kid knows how made in china flood the modern world. But still, if I can call it a neutral draw, it would come down to preference. I really hate people going negative about either the newschool or the oldschool, or neglecting either's merit.

Sometimes, the best things are oldskool.

OK, that's all I got this morning. Carry on.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back