Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #7,561 of 8,735
Quote:
Currently running the stock tubes at the moment.

Is that the reason why?

Well, the Lyr platform is not known to be inherently noisy. If you're using the stock tubes, and you're experiencing noise, contact customer service, I'm sure they'd be glad to replace the stock tubes.  They should at least provide adequate signal to noise ratio.

If you're interested in improving on the stock tubes, this is the right thread.  But the stock tubes should not be noisy.

Can you describe the noise you're hearing?

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #7,562 of 8,735
Quote:
I should know this...but I don't.
redface.gif

Which tube handles the left channel? Front or rear?

Thanks in advance!
beerchug.gif

Front Tube = left channel

-Mike

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #7,563 of 8,735
After burning them in for 75-hours I'm really loving my slightly less expensive [size=medium]ECC88 Telefunkens too!  Very detailed and neutral with an excellent sound stage.  I really have not had the urge to roll anything else in their place at the moment.

Agreed, find a great tube, and the search is over. Letting them burn in awhile is what made the difference for me. No urge to roll anything else either. Just sit back and enjoy
[/size]

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #7,564 of 8,735
Quote:

Well, the Lyr platform is not known to be inherently noisy. If you're using the stock tubes, and you're experiencing noise, contact customer service, I'm sure they'd be glad to replace the stock tubes.  They should at least provide adequate signal to noise ratio.

If you're interested in improving on the stock tubes, this is the right thread.  But the stock tubes should not be noisy.

Can you describe the noise you're hearing?

A light screeching noise in the background.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #7,565 of 8,735
Quote:
A light screeching noise in the background.

no No and NO

My Lyr is as quiet as a church on Superbowl Sunday.  Always was, still is.  Stock tubes or exotics.
Sadly, yours has "an issue"

I'm sure Schiit will help you sort it out.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #7,566 of 8,735
Quote:
no No and NO

My Lyr is as quiet as a church on Superbowl Sunday.  Always was, still is.  Stock tubes or exotics.
Sadly, yours has "an issue"

I'm sure Schiit will help you sort it out.

Agreed.  Schiit customer service is really great, contact them, they'll take care of you.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #7,567 of 8,735
Quote:
I'm getting annoyed with the loud noisefloor on the Lyr.

Anyway to stop it, guys?

Is it on one side or both?  It might be the tube pins and/or the socket contacts.  You might try turning off and unplugging the Lyr, then remove, swap around, and re-install the tubes and listening again.  Sometimes that will help the noise go away.  If not, then the problem is more likely something in the Lyr that Schiit would need to fix.

Hope this helps...

Cheers and Good Luck!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #7,570 of 8,735
I received this exact set of 6N1P-EV back in April and installed last night: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Quad-6N1P-EV-ECC88-6DJ8-Gold-Grid-NEW-NOS-/130887136703?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e797b35bf

They are exactly as they look, the pin condition is A+.

I have either an upgraded Uber Bitfrost (FLAC from Logitech Touch optical) or SACD feeding the Lyr.

Using a myriad of phones (HE-500, 400, D5K, W1000X, PS500, AH-D600) ........ these tubes are awesome. Great separation, clarity, control, slightly bright (the way I like it)......very happy with these "inexpensive" yet excellent tubes.

Jun 8, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #7,571 of 8,735
Quote:
I received this exact set of 6N1P-EV back in April and installed last night: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Quad-6N1P-EV-ECC88-6DJ8-Gold-Grid-NEW-NOS-/130887136703?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e797b35bf

I have either an upgraded Uber Bitfrost (FLAC from Logitech Touch optical) or SACD feeding the Lyr.

Using a myriad of phones (HE-500, 400, D5K, W1000X, PS500, AH-D600) ........ these tubes are awesome. Great separation, clarity, control, slightly bright (the way I like it)......very happy with these "inexpensive" yet excellent tubes.

You should notice the slightly recessed mids with those tubes. Bass and Treble are indeed awesome though.

6N23P are deemed to be the best of the Russian tubes for the Lyr, i have some Voskhod 6N23P's on the way, some people have said they are outstanding, so i'm eagerly awaiting their arrival. If they are the same as the 6N1P Voskhods but with better mids i'll be very happy and probably sell my Amperex PQ's.

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #7,573 of 8,735
Quote:

This looks like a good deal. Ordered some too.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #7,574 of 8,735
they cost a lot. 600 bucks for a pair of nos. with import fees and shipping it cost me 784 Canadian dollars. I bought them at audiotubes from brent jesse. I am very happy with the service there. they know their stuff. they have a boatload of incredible tubes. but prices are high. but i'd rather pay more and have the right tubes.

oy! I'd rather hunt and find them cheap.Let your ear sort out the junk.

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #7,575 of 8,735
I finally found some tubes for the Lyr/Bifrost-Uber stack that really like the LCD-3: Siemens & Haske E88CC Grey-Shields from 1964.

They sound very good with both the Senn HD800 and the LCD-3, but the LCD-3 gives more weight in the bass and mids (lacking in the HD800 with these tubes), while still retaining clean, bright highs - overall better. Soundstage on both cans is wide, but not deep.

It's a rare event for me to find tubes for the Lyr where I prefer the LCD-3 over the HD800. These are those :)

I need to roll in some other S & H tubes to see if they have behave the same way - see if they have the same family traits (with the LCD-3), so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back