Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #7,426 of 8,735
I just picked up a matched NOS set of Telefunkens from Brent Jessee.  Not the expensive 6922, but the slightly more affordable 6DJ8 / ECC88 Telefunken West Germany with diamond mark.  GM: 10,500/10,000 10,500/10,000.  They are still breaking-in I have about 20-hours on them. 

So far they have been very quite.  These tubes are fast and very detailed with a lot of air around the instruments. Piano is really sweet sounding standout on these Telefunkens.  Their tonality is neutral in the bass and midrange to slightly bright in the highs, but not overly bright.  They seem to pair well with my Grado PS-500 more so than my AKG K702s.

I’m hoping the highs will mellow just a bit with a 100-hours on them, but they are very nice right out of the box. If you are looking for maximum detail, neutrality, and air, then these Telefunkens are worth considering.  If you want the classic tube warmth, then I would suggest you look elsewhere.

May 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #7,427 of 8,735
Had to try out the Bugle Boys so I bought a used pair of eBay for $20.00 plus shipping.  I read the earlier post on the fakes and these seem to be the real thing. Here's what was in the listing:

One Matched Pair Philips Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 Tubes, Vintage Year 1967
   Since I purchased them 1 month ago, I used them only about 2 hours using to test them in my audio rig.
   My preference to other tubes, I decided to sell this pair. Written below is the original seller's statement.
      One  matched pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 tubes, by Philips of Holland.
      Good silkscreen.
      The engraved codes are  delta7A4 and delta7G4.
      Medium ring  getter.
      Good test ratings.
      Test ratings: 95/95% and 95/95% on my Jackson 648S tester. Min. at 70%, new tubes at 95%"

Did my usual DeoxIT, rolled them in and have been running for about 1/2 hour.  Sound seems pretty clean but maybe not as engaging as my Orange Globes. Still way too early to tell but for $20, what the heck.

May 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #7,428 of 8,735
Quote:
Had to try out the Bugle Boys so I bought a used pair of eBay for $20.00 plus shipping.  I read the earlier post on the fakes and these seem to be the real thing. Here's what was in the listing:

One Matched Pair Philips Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 Tubes, Vintage Year 1967
   Since I purchased them 1 month ago, I used them only about 2 hours using to test them in my audio rig.
   My preference to other tubes, I decided to sell this pair. Written below is the original seller's statement.
      One  matched pair of Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 tubes, by Philips of Holland.
      Good silkscreen.
      The engraved codes are  delta7A4 and delta7G4.
      Medium ring  getter.
      Good test ratings.
      Test ratings: 95/95% and 95/95% on my Jackson 648S tester. Min. at 70%, new tubes at 95%"

Did my usual DeoxIT, rolled them in and have been running for about 1/2 hour.  Sound seems pretty clean but maybe not as engaging as my Orange Globes. Still way too early to tell but for $20, what the heck.

Absolutely!  Worth a shot!  I like the OGs better also, but my BBs are still really nice.

May 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #7,430 of 8,735
Question - how do I get socket savers out of the Lyr? I guess I will have to take the Lyr apart? 

They do not come out when I pull the tubes. 

May 26, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #7,432 of 8,735
Quote:
If you wiggle the tubes the right way the socket savers will usually come loose (at least my Tubemonger savers do).

Mine are also Tubemongers. I tried that but it just bent the tube pins a bit. I think the tubes I'm running are old and the pins may be weak. 

I guess I can try it with another set of tubes to see if that does the trick. 

May 26, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #7,433 of 8,735
Quote:
Question - how do I get socket savers out of the Lyr? I guess I will have to take the Lyr apart? 

They do not come out when I pull the tubes. 

Needle-nose Pliers will work (make sure the power is off!).
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #7,434 of 8,735
Quote:
Needle-nose Pliers will work (make sure the power is off!).
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Do you grab around the socket saver? Or, in the pin holes? Seems like there may not be enough room for the tool.

May 26, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #7,435 of 8,735
Quote:
Do you grab around the socket saver? Or, in the pin holes? Seems like there may not be enough room for the tool.

Grab the socket saver...don't stick anything in the pin holes (except pins).  Another trick is to find a tube that fits tight in the socket savers and try to use the tube to work the socket saver out.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 26, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #7,437 of 8,735
Quote:
Grab the socket saver...don't stick anything in the pin holes (except pins).  Another trick is to find a tube that fits tight in the socket savers and try to use the tube to work the socket saver out.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Quote:
I have one saver that stays in the Lyr when the other one comes out easily.  I have a set of needle nose pliers that are really long and thin...that's what I usually use.

Hope it helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Thanks!

May 27, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #7,439 of 8,735
Quote:
Listening to a pair right now:)

Thoughts?

My pair of '62 large halo are really smooooth. I can't wait to hear the D-getters.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back