Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #7,171 of 8,735
I use the socket savers from TubeMonger:

http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_with_Vibration_Red_B9A_NOVAL_p/novib.htm

I tried cheap ones from E-bay but I like the TubeMonger ones best.  And, since you are thinking of socket savers, you might want to consider dampers:

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/rx.htm

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

+1 Tubemonger socket savers - excellent. I use both Noval and Octal ones and they make tube rolling much easier. Almost a required accessory for the Lyr, but very beneficial with other amps too.

+1 Herbie's tube dampeners (I like the Rx version with the soft grommets).

May 9, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #7,174 of 8,735
Quote:

Superglue it back together and it will make a nice Christmas tree ornament
wink.gif

May 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #7,175 of 8,735
Quote:
Listening to the RTC E188CC tubes last night; even without the Bifrost, I could hear the tubes opening up as they lulled me to sleep.  I am really looking forward to getting things back in order so I can listen to these tubes reach their full potential!

I listened to the CV4109s for about 20 minutes to ensure they were working and couldn't believe my ears at the warmth and lushness.  I'll follow up on those too...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

As a lover of the CV-2493's, I am supremely jealous of those CV4109's!

Please, let me know how they sound, will you?
smile.gif

Cheers, JC
beerchug.gif

May 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #7,177 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks for the morale support!

I got them from mercedesman and have to say that since I contacted him he's been very helpful and has lived up to his (well earned) reputation for great customer service. He's going to ship me a replacement tube to replace the defective one so pretty pleased with the outcome.

I'm allowed to keep the old one so keep the creative ideas coming - I'll need to try and make the best one a reality!

^
I like this idea a lot. If there's a way to get the tube encased into clear acrylic / perspex then I think it'd look rather cool
biggrin.gif

^
I don't think they'd suit me and if I gave them to my Wife (who puts up with my hobbies & geek talk) it might just be the final straw......

beyersmile.png

It certainly smelt like it had been cut by a lightsaber.

The tube was sitting on top of a socket saver and was mostly sticking outside the case with plenty of airflow, so think it was probably just one of these freak 'one off' things rather than anything more serious. If it happens again though then I'll definitely start to get worried!

I'm glad to hear you got it from Mercedesman!    As soon as I read that I knew he'd take care of you.

It's good to remember that we're dealing with some very old devices (if we're lucky) and that sometimes things can fail. Those glass envelopes are exposed to heat a lot, so it's not all that unusual to hear of tubes failing like that.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the replacement tube.

May 10, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #7,178 of 8,735
I am currently on the road, in Washington State, my RTC tubes may very well have arrived in my mailbox by now.  But I unfortunately have to wait to receive them.

So, until I get home and burn in those RTCs, Amperex Orange Globes still reign supreme in my world!

May 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #7,182 of 8,735
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back