Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #6,706 of 8,735
I thought 6n2p is very high gain...between 50 and 100.
http://lampizator.eu/UPGRADE/upgrade%20noval%20tubes%20to%206H6P.html

6N2P has the correct pin-out, but is really low gain, might be garbage, not tested them myself.

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #6,707 of 8,735
You need some Amperex A-frames....easy to find used at reasonable prices and sound great. Nice quiet linear sounding tube.

My list so far:

1. Lorenz Stuttgart ECC85
2=. Brimar 6BQ7A
2=. Mullard 6BQ7A (Fakes made in Taiwan, don't know the real make)
4=. Phillips PCC189 (Mullard Blackburn)
4=. Siemens PCC189 (A frame)
6. Voskhod 6N1P
7. SEL Lorenz PCC88
8. Raytheon 6922

I've not rolled any of the expensive tubes yet like Siemens CCa or Telefunkens. Bit out of my budget.

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #6,708 of 8,735
Quote:

I think it's to do with the Anode being seriously undervolted. E88CC is only 100v, 6N2P is 250v.

In an E88CC circuit i think gain might be low. but not 100% sure.

Apr 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #6,709 of 8,735
Oh, thx for fast info :)

Does one tube bahave same way in different amplifiers ? I'am asking because the first link is not about Lyr.

Btw does 6N2P work fine with Lyr ?

Tubes can behave quite differently on different amps. The much venerated 7V Lorenz 3-Mica's sound amazing on the Lyr. They sound really strange on the Liquid Glass - not pleasing - due to the cathode under- voltage.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #6,711 of 8,735
Have listened to Tell CCa for a bit over a week. Switched them out for Amperex 6922s. This pair is OK unlike the other pair that developed noise after 30-45 minutes. Thank God I was smart enough to buy three pairs. Going to switch to other pair Friday to make sure that they are good too. Listening to bass in "Way Out West" and other Jazz CDs through HD600s is best with this tube. Fab midrange with lots of detail hard to beat. Tell CCa very dynamic, but a bit dry. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #6,712 of 8,735
Quote:
Listening to 1961 Amperex O-Getters still like my globes better. Wait they're kinda of funky in good way:)

What are you using for headphones? Your O-getters have white label, right?

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #6,714 of 8,735
Quote:

ooooh, so is 6N6P compatible with Lyr ?

[size=medium]The general type is NOVAL (meaning with 9 pins) and the pinout is identical to many western novals like 6dj8, 6922, ecc88.[/size]

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #6,715 of 8,735
6N6P draws MASSIVE amount of heater current, more so than 6N1P and that tube already runs very hot, should email Schiit first to see if specs allow for such massive heater load.

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #6,716 of 8,735
Quote:
6N6P draws MASSIVE amount of heater current, more so than 6N1P and that tube already runs very hot, should email Schiit first to see if specs allow for such massive heater load.

Sent mail to Jason, hope he gets time to answer :)

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #6,717 of 8,735
It did not work in the WA3.  The operating point was too far off and the heater current is extreme.
Quote:

ooooh, so is 6N6P compatible with Lyr ?

[size=medium]The general type is NOVAL (meaning with 9 pins) and the pinout is identical to many western novals like 6dj8, 6922, ecc88.[/size]

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #6,718 of 8,735
Jason says no to 6N6P so it's over 
size]

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #6,719 of 8,735
I rolled my first tubes in my lyr yesterday. I decided to buy inexpensives tubes first. I had ordered quite expensive tubes at tubedepot, but they can't find what I wanted. I bought electro harmonix 6922 Russian tubes. the stock tubes I had in the lyr before were ge 6bz7/6bq7a  and I think they are the crappiest tubes in the history of mankind.  the electro harmonix tubes cost me 14 bucks each.

sound is great and I have no more noises. the ge tubes were noisy as hell. I could not go over half with the volume. now it is dead silent at full volume. bass is now tight and impactful. of course with the he 6 it is mind boggling exquisite sound. I have both he 500 and he 6 and he 6 is much more incredible sounding headphone.

now I am addicted to tubes I think. I never tought this unassuming amp could sound so much better with so little money.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #6,720 of 8,735
Quote:
I rolled my first tubes in my lyr yesterday. I decided to buy inexpensives tubes first. I had ordered quite expensive tubes at tubedepot, but they can't find what I wanted. I bought electro harmonix 6922 Russian tubes. the stock tubes I had in the lyr before were ge 6bz7/6bq7a  and I think they are the crappiest tubes in the history of mankind.  the electro harmonix tubes cost me 14 bucks each.

sound is great and I have no more noises. the ge tubes were noisy as hell. I could not go over half with the volume. now it is dead silent at full volume. bass is now tight and impactful. of course with the he 6 it is mind boggling exquisite sound. I have both he 500 and he 6 and he 6 is much more incredible sounding headphone.

now I am addicted to tubes I think. I never tought this unassuming amp could sound so much better with so little money.

I'm still using the stock GEs whilst I wait for my new tubes to arrive.

They actually sound pretty good with my HD600's. When the source is mute there is a bit of noise when I crank the volume up but it isn't really noticeable when I'm listening to anything, even at fairly high volumes (I don't tend to venture past 9-10 o'clock though lol). Last night I A/B'd the Lyr (w/ GEs) against my 02 amp. They both sounded pretty close in terms of neutrality but to my ears the O2 was lacking something (just felt flat) and the Lyr had the edge in terms of making the instruments feel further away from me and everything sounded much smoother and composed as I increased the volume.

It was a different story with my Denon D2000s though so can appreciate where you are coming from. To my ears the GEs combined with the D2000s give music quite a nice almost live feel but like you I noticed a TON of unwanted noise when I went beyond half way (source muted). Bass also had a tendency to sound very flabby and uncontrolled. The O2 on the other hand was dead silent and the bass sounded far tighter and punchier, although perhaps lacking some of the 'excitement' of the Lyr.

The GEs generally seem to be considered to be decent enough budget tubes, if a bit unspectacular, so I am hoping for good things from my new tubes. Both in terms of how they sound and (hopefully) reduced background noise.

I have to say that from the first time I plugged my phones into the Lyr I knew it was a keeper and that's the first time I've felt that way about an amp. I really can't wait to see what it can do with some 'better' tubes rolled in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back