Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #6,303 of 8,735
Quote:
Lorentz SEL PCC88 generates a weak popcorn noise on one side, which is obviously hearable by HE-5LE at volume 12 o'clock.
I never heard from the stock GE tubes.
Sounding thinner than Bugle boy 6DJ8 and GE stock tubes.

What is the nature of the popcorn sound?
When I changed to Bugle boy 6DJ8, it is disappear.

If you changed the tubes around, did the noise switch channels?

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #6,304 of 8,735
I shamelessly re-sold my Lorenz PCC88's on ebay for a profit, but it was all in the name of further tube rolling.

Not sure what to buy next.

Apr 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #6,305 of 8,735
Quote:
I like these Brit Brimar 6BQ7A in my woo....not sure if anyone has tried them in the Lyr. They are Brit, and they are cheap. Mine have zero microphonics....can whack them with a sick and they are quiet. Plus they sound nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-NIB-Pair-Brimar-6BQ7A-Box-Plate-Vacuum-Tubes-/160997414278?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item257c319586

I've ordered a pair of those, looking forward to see how they sound. What are your impressions on their sound signature? and do they sound nice and expansive?

Other tubes i've got on order...

Phillips ECC189, Made in Holland for the British military.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321099731310?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

And some Raytheon 6922's made in the US.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261187455018?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #6,306 of 8,735
I love these valves.
La Radiotechniques E188CC

E188CC Buy it Now $120

They have Mullard Mitcham "2" codes.  That could be 62 or 72. I could not see the getter.
I bought them from Olga in Lithuania.  I have purchased from her before, as have a handful of other "Rollers"
The product will take a month to arrive.  My PCC88's took 6 weeks, but I hung in there.

If they are 62's they are a steal.  If they are 72's they are still a good value.

The RTC's I have now are 65's Large "O" made in Heerlen Netherlands.
Can't say enough good things about them.

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #6,307 of 8,735
Quote:
I love these valves.
La Radiotechniques E188CC

E188CC Buy it Now $120

They have Mullard Mitcham "2" codes.  That could be 62 or 72. I could not see the getter.
I bought them from Olga in Lithuania.  I have purchased from her before, as have a handful of other "Rollers"
The product will take a month to arrive.  My PCC88's took 6 weeks, but I hung in there.

If they are 62's they are a steal.  If they are 72's they are still a good value.

The RTC's I have now are 65's Large "O" made in Heerlen Netherlands.
Can't say enough good things about them.

I know one user in here used to have that La Radiotechniques!
anyways.....cool

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #6,308 of 8,735
Quote:
I know one user in here used to have that La Radiotechniques!
anyways.....cool

Gustav,
That user must have known his ****.
I asked the seller for a photo of the getter.
1960's "O" made in Holland getters are getting $250-$300

I did find a post from HK with data from Tubemonger that said a big batch of these RTC / Mullards hit the market in Europe and that they were newer.  I suspect these are those because they are white box.  But in the photo they look older / different than the other RTC/Mullards photos.  Darker hat different ink.   The other RTC Mullards look like they were made yesterday.  I'm hoping.

Either way, I'm talking about a gold pin, 6922 CCa grade valve for $130 including shipping.  At least $50 under market.  IMO... IMO...IMO

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #6,310 of 8,735
I found that they have lifelike mids and do wonderful on female vocals and acoustic guitar. They are not bright and forward, but rather seem a bit gentle in presentation of detail. Soundstage at first was very compressed in my WA3. The set I received was new and in what appeared to be unopened crisp boxes. They evolved quickly and soundstage opened substantially over the first couple 4 hour listening sessions. I put them far above JAN Sylvania 6BQ7A and better in soundstage than 6N1P. To me, they sound deeper than they are wide or tall. I happen to like deep, which is what also attracts me to the Amperex orange labels. The tubes are dead black silent in my amp.
I've ordered a pair of those, looking forward to see how they sound. What are your impressions on their sound signature? and do they sound nice and expansive?

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #6,311 of 8,735
Quote:
I found that they have lifelike mids and do wonderful on female vocals and acoustic guitar. They are not bright and forward, but rather seem a bit gentle in presentation of detail. Soundstage at first was very compressed in my WA3. The set I received was new and in what appeared to be unopened crisp boxes. They evolved quickly and soundstage opened substantially over the first couple 4 hour listening sessions. I put them far above JAN Sylvania 6BQ7A and better in soundstage than 6N1P. To me, they sound deeper than they are wide or tall. I happen to like deep, which is what also attracts me to the Amperex orange labels. The tubes are dead black silent in my amp.

I'm quite familiar with the 6N1P (Voshkod), would love that tube if it had better mids.

The presentation you describe sounds like the 6N1P-VI tubes that Schiit supplies, which would be great tubes if they had better soundstage.

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #6,314 of 8,735
Ah, my 6N1P are 6N1P-EV with the rocket logo. Anyone ever try the 6N5P?
I'm quite familiar with the 6N1P (Voshkod), would love that tube if it had better mids.

The presentation you describe sounds like the 6N1P-VI tubes that Schiit supplies, which would be great tubes if they had better soundstage.

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #6,315 of 8,735
Quote:
Ah, my 6N1P are 6N1P-EV with the rocket logo. Anyone ever try the 6N5P?

6N1P-EV is basically the long-life version of standard 6N1P, the main thing is you got the rocket logos on there, tubes made in the Voshkod Kaluga plant are highly regarded amongst the Soviet tubes.

6N5P is pretty much the Soviet equivalent of 6CG7/6FQ7, Schiit said they will work in the Lyr but they don't consider them to be the best tube type. They are really cheap though so won't hurt to try a load and see for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back