Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #5,731 of 8,735
Sitting here, listening to Porcupine Tree with the LCD-2s, thinking that these USN-CEPs are sounding so awesome! Should I just stop and enjoy, or try more tubes?

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #5,732 of 8,735
Quote:
You mean Surplus Sales of Nebraska? I'm a little surprised you could get them to be that specific, usually they just have tube numbers and say they're "various brands". Have you got a link?

oh no i straight up went for the same thing you bought which said various brands and same code. They charged me 30 dollar shipping though which i found ridiculous.  but i mean i guess i can't complain seeing how i ordered 10 of them, but they did say they'll adjust the shipping, BUT THEY DIDNT! *flips table*

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #5,733 of 8,735
Quote:
Sitting here, listening to Porcupine Tree with the LCD-2s, thinking that these USN-CEPs are sounding so awesome! Should I just stop and enjoy, or try more tubes?

Here's my philosphy on that...

I enjoy experiencing different sound signatures and the prices of these 6922 preamp tubes is not going to go down anytime soon so, even if you pay a fair amount you should be able to enjoy or at least try them and then sell them on with little or no loss.

Supply of the genuine quality old stock tubes is getting scarcer and the demand higher.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #5,734 of 8,735
W
oh no i straight up went for the same thing you bought which said various brands and same code. They charged me 30 dollar shipping though which i found ridiculous.  but i mean i guess i can't complain seeing how i ordered 10 of them, but they did say they'll adjust the shipping, BUT THEY DIDNT! *flips table*

What did you order, E188CCs? I don't remember what they charged me for shipping, but that seems pretty high...

Did they say you would be getting RTCs?

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #5,735 of 8,735
Here's my philosphy on that...

I enjoy experiencing different sound signatures and the prices of these 6922 preamp tubes is not going to go down anytime soon so, even if you pay a fair amount you should be able to enjoy or at least try them and then sell them on with little or no loss.

Supply of the genuine quality old stock tubes is getting scarcer and the demand higher.

I concur, but that just makes me want to buy a couple more pairs of these tubes, cut my losses, relax and listen to music...

But hell, these are only the second set of tubes that I've auditioned, roll on I will!

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #5,736 of 8,735
Looks like Head-Fi's post editor just crapped out!  I guess it's back now (or my computer borked for a minute)...

Referring to the earlier post about USB cables from a PC to a Bifrost and Lyr combo,
I just checked and the two "audio-grade" USB cables were from here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00415A3XY/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AWT9IM/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The computer USB cables were non-brand types from Newegg that I had in my collection...They sounded good but about the same, not dry or warm.  Don't get me wrong, the music was nice but nothing really stood out.

I found the Pangea Audio cable made the sound a bit dry and lean in the bass (it's silver coated copper) compared to the computer cables and the Audio Quest. I found the Audio Quest Forest cable to sound warmer and more full bodied (it's just copper) than any of the others.  I like warm so I stuck with the Audio Quest Forest.  I used Q-Audio interconnects between the Bifrost and the Lyr and a Q-Audio headphone cable for my LCD-2s.

Again, I did hear a difference, but YMMV...and that's ok too... 
wink_face.gif

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #5,737 of 8,735
Quote:
W
What did you order, E188CCs? I don't remember what they charged me for shipping, but that seems pretty high...

Did they say you would be getting RTCs?

i got the  6BZ7's just like you did because i wanted to test them myself. I'm outside of America so i feel like i got ripped. 

HK_Sends

Looks like Head-Fi's post editor just crapped out! I just checked and the two "audio-grade" USB cables were from here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00415A3XY/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AWT9IM/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ir
 The computer USB cables were non-brand types from Newegg that I had in my collection. I found the Pangea Audio cable made the sound a bit dry and lean in the bass (it's silver coated copper). I found the Audio Quest Forest cable to sound warmer and more full bodied (it's just copper). I used Q-Audio interconnects between the Bifrost and the Lyr and a Q-Audio headphone cable for my LCD-2s. Again, I did hear a difference, but YMMV...and that's ok too... Cheers! -HK sends

Oh boy! just because you mentioned warmer i feel like i need to invest in the Audio Quests at a later date :D

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #5,739 of 8,735
Quote:
Everybody,

Always remember, it's not the price of the tube...it's whether you enjoy the sound!
biggrin.gif
  I know many people who are extremely happy with "lesser" tubes...

YEP I  AGREE.

(Amperex JAN 6922 - Orange Label, no globe).
tongue.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Hi,
What's the difference between Amperex Orange Globe and Amperex Orange Label?  I looked at some images, saw that some had a globe picture on the glass (and in my limited experience the Amp. Orange Label has orange colored text on the glass).

Aside from that - the printing - how do the tubes differ? (the construction, the insides...)   Or is it the vintage (year it was made)?

Thanks very much!  
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #5,740 of 8,735
Quote:
Everybody,

Always remember, it's not the price of the tube...it's whether you enjoy the sound!
biggrin.gif
  I know many people who are extremely happy with "lesser" tubes than the "almost unobtainium" CCa's or Lorenz 3-mica's.  I know everyone says they are the pinnacle but to be honest, I didnt care for the CCa's which is why I was so fanboyish about the Lorenz.

Take my advice with a grain of salt or not, after spending over $3500-$4000 on tubes just for the Lyr (including CCa's and 3-Mica's), my current and favorite tubes cost $89 on Ebay.  (Amperex JAN 6922 - Orange Label, no globe).
tongue.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

give me your CCa and Lorenz 3mica. 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #5,741 of 8,735
Doesn't make a difference, 1's and 0's are the same no-matter what cable you send them down, same goes for toslink cables. Don't be fooled into wasting your money on stuff like that.

The only cable that could make a real difference will be the one between the Bifrost outputs and Lyr inputs, and of course your headphone cable.

Glass toslink sound a lot better than their plastic counterparts to me. However glass toslink vs glass toslink or plastic vs plastic probably much less of a difference.

That's all, back to tubes

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #5,742 of 8,735
Glass toslink sound a lot better than their plastic counterparts to me. However glass toslink vs glass toslink or plastic vs plastic probably much less of a difference.

That's all, back to tubes

We should probably start the Schiit Lyr - The Non-Tube Rolling Thread to talk about Lyr mods/accessories/other :cool:

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #5,743 of 8,735
Quote:

Doesn't make a difference, 1's and 0's are the same no-matter what cable you send them down, same goes for toslink cables. Don't be fooled into wasting your money on stuff like that.

The only cable that could make a real difference will be the one between the Bifrost outputs and Lyr inputs, and of course your headphone cable.

What are thoughts (and anyone else's ...) on the length of the USB cable? I don't mean crazy-long - just upwards of, say, 12 feet (from computer to DAC) - is 12 ft. a distance to be concerned about for sacrificing sound-quality?  (assuming of course that it sounds fine)

Thank you.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #5,745 of 8,735
Yes, actually you don't want to exceed the spec limits for usb 2.0 which I believe is somewhere around 15 feet without using a powered hub. You can daisy chain up to 5 hubs this way but you will probably definitely sacrifice quality due to jitter and other electrical signal degradation from doing this. How much? I don't know, and I am not keen to find out. I feel like the shortest interconnect possible is the best, almost always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back