Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #5,566 of 8,735
Quote:
I never had any problems with the glue or labels and I have used mine in the Lyr for hundreds of hours.  Usually, when you remove the tubes (even warm), you are pulling on the tube, not the socket saver.  I haven't had any issues the other poster described and I haven't seen anybody else mention it.  Not to say the other poster is wrong...that may be the experience he had with the socket savers.

Consider this for removing the tubes: http://www.amazon.com/Electro-Harmonix-EH-Tube-Glove/dp/B000UMCLIC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362024593&sr=8-1&keywords=tube+glove
I've used one for two years with no trouble.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Yeah i've encountered some one posting this link a couple of pages back, sadly i can't get one of these due to being outside of the U.S. This was pretty much my reason on buying socket savers from tubemonger.
--- I just know i'll be struggling for a really long time trying to take them out. 

Anyways, hopefully i'll be able to at least give some other impressions for other tubes soon. "assuming people are interested in this, seeing how it's a tube rolling thread"

PS. i really like the dedication you got with this post and actually giving reasonable responses in a timely manner. Well done 
gs1000.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #5,567 of 8,735
On one hand it's great to see all the new folks on the thread...
smile.gif

On the other hand it means the price for vintage valves will escalate.
mad.gif

So..... save yourself the hassle and money and go buy some new SS gear and move along....
That's Right !  Move along... there's nothing for you here.  
evil_smiley.gif

Hey guys..   Do you think that will work ???   

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #5,569 of 8,735
Quote:
smile.gif

mad.gif

So..... save yourself the hassle and money and go buy some new SS gear and move along....
evil_smiley.gif

So speaks the Asgard 2 owner...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - Why can't I access the Super Secret Tube Club link? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #5,572 of 8,735
Quote:
smile.gif

mad.gif

evil_smiley.gif

Hah! you know what really sucks though? As a student attempting to tube roll as a hobby, it really hurts the pockets, You're lucky i wont be affording those vintage valves just yet :wink:

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #5,573 of 8,735
As a middle-aged nerd with a little disposable income it still hurts.  It always hurts.  I'm comforted by the fact that my tubes will probably outlive me at this point.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #5,574 of 8,735
Quote:
As a middle-aged nerd with a little disposable income it still hurts.  It always hurts.  I'm comforted by the fact that my tubes will probably outlive me at this point.

Aw come on toschek, don't say such a thing. Be more lively, Be one with the music and be young. Even now being in the early 20's i want to say i'm old, but i wouldn't want to think as far as deceased. Cheer up! keep kicking that Lyr and embrace that baby with all the love you got (of course if you have time.)  Love and admire the equipment and technology you got. It sure has improved since your childhood, and that HAS to be something you appreciate greatly. 

After i saw this one video on how much time and effort tubes were made, it made me realize how much i love doing this. I've got so much to learn about everything, and so do you. Keep your spirits high :D

if link does not work - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n4WVRKkmww&feature=share

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #5,575 of 8,735
Quote:Originally Posted by Iamnothim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tube extender goo.

Thermocoupler around a valve for 30 minutes.
131.0 deg F.
minus
delta
32.4 deg F.
So the opposite of picking up an ice cube.
I just can't see the glue melting.  The product is very well made.
Note:  The valve in this test was extended outside the Lyr enclosure.
You would have to add the ambient temp inside the case.  (I'm not going to do that)

Well, not withstanding the math, the glue did indeed melt.  I also used the Electro-Harmonix tube glove when I removed the tube. When I noticed the stringy bits of glue, I then removed the socket saver.  The label was loose and the glue quite soft. But it was not an overwhelming problem, as I was able to remove the glue from the Lyr socket rather easily - no ill effects.  I used some alcohol on the socket save to clean off all the remaining glue and then put it back in- problem solved.

Interestingly, the tubes (Amperex USN-CEP's) were not all that hot - much lower heat load than other tubes I have used in the Lyr. So I am surprised it happened, but it did happen.

Another safe way to proceed is not to remove or roll tubes until they cool down. It was removing the tube, I think, that pulled the glue from the label, the label being angled slightly so that it's top edge was near the base of the tube.

YMMV.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #5,576 of 8,735

After reading your post, I must apologize.
I don't doubt that you have gunk on the tube extenders, I was scratching my head wondering why.

I intended my comments to be more rhetorical and I didn't do a good job of expressing myself. Since I've never removed my extenders since I put them in, I could have the same issue.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #5,577 of 8,735
Quote:
I don't doubt that you have gunk on the tube extenders, I was scratching my head wondering why.

I intended my comments to be more rhetorical and I didn't do a good job of expressing myself. Since I've never removed my extenders since I put them in, I could have the same issue.

No apology necessary!

Hopefully you don't have the same issue.  The problem only occurred, I believe, because the label was crooked and too close to the tube, and I pulled the tube out while everything was still "hot". The tube pins caught the top edge of the label and pulled glue out as it was removed.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #5,578 of 8,735
Quote:

I've never NOT removed my extenders ...... they come out with the tubes every time.  BTW, I got a refund on my non-appearing Lithuanian tubes.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #5,579 of 8,735
Quote:

No apology necessary!

Hopefully you don't have the same issue.  The problem only occurred, I believe, because the label was crooked and too close to the tube, and I pulled the tube out while everything was still "hot". The tube pins caught the top edge of the label and pulled glue out as it was removed.

Thanks. I really try not to P people off.
Quote:
I've never NOT removed my extenders ...... they come out with the tubes every time.  BTW, I got a refund on my non-appearing Lithuanian tubes.

Mine are strange.  They don't come out.  I tried a moment ago and it feel like they'll take a lot of effort to get them out.  I'm just fine with that. 
Perhaps they're glued in place. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #5,580 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks. I really try not to P people off.
Mine are strange.  They don't come out.  I tried a moment ago and it feel like they'll take a lot of effort to get them out.  I'm just fine with that. 
Perhaps they're glued in place. 
biggrin.gif

Talk about strange, one of mine always stays in the socket and the other one always comes out with the tube. 
tongue.gif

(yes, the same one)

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back