Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #5,536 of 8,735
Please correct me if i'm wrong as i may be giving the wrong impressions and suffer of some audio disorder :frowning2:

Testing / Tested w/ Schiit lyr and bi-frost w/ AKG Q701's only 

JJ E88CC tubes - before they went crazy
very good sound-stage
adds a little more warmth on the AKG Q701's
Very frontal on vocals, with 's sounds being very natural? p's also
adds some very crisp highs
great extensions on the low end - nice and smooth
-- maybe increase separation? which led to a greater soundstage

NL Matsu****a 6922/E88CC

Low end very tight and accurate
feels like theres a little emphasis on the high end ( but maybe because i might be lacking a burn-in)
seems only slightly quicker but still nice and tight on every note?

Hope you guys felt somewhat the same way with these 2 tubes. ( i'm totally going to embarrass myself here. I just know it.)
still have the GE 6B27 and some NOS 6N1P tubes (russian) <- whatever company these may be, hopefully someone out there knows.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #5,537 of 8,735
Quote:
Please correct me if i'm wrong as i may be giving the wrong impressions and suffer of some audio disorder :frowning2:

Testing / Tested w/ Schiit lyr and bi-frost w/ AKG Q701's only 

JJ E88CC tubes - before they went crazy
very good sound-stage
adds a little more warmth on the AKG Q701's
Very frontal on vocals, with 's sounds being very natural? p's also
adds some very crisp highs
great extensions on the low end - nice and smooth
-- maybe increase separation? which led to a greater soundstage

NL Matsu****a 6922/E88CC

Low end very tight and accurate
feels like theres a little emphasis on the high end ( but maybe because i might be lacking a burn-in)
seems only slightly quicker but still nice and tight on every note?

Hope you guys felt somewhat the same way with these 2 tubes. ( i'm totally going to embarrass myself here. I just know it.)
still have the GE 6B27 and some NOS 6N1P tubes (russian) <- whatever company these may be, hopefully someone out there knows.

I can't speak for the JJ's but the assessment of the Matsu's tracks pretty well with mine.  The highs will smooth out after a bit o' burn-in.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #5,539 of 8,735
Quote:
Anyone else find the stock tubes a bit bright? getting a lot of sibilance on mine, only had it a few days though, not much burn in.

I have heard that newer tubes like JJ's and Gold Lions need a good bit o' burn-in to settle down.  I never held on to any long enough to see if was true.
tongue.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #5,540 of 8,735
Quote:
Sorry, I don't usually equate clean tubes with age.  I've seen some immaculate old tubes from the 50s and 60s and seen some tubes from the 70s and 80s that look like they were stored in a cardboard box outside the shed...
I guess it's all how they are stored and treated.

Just my penny and a half.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - But my question and comment wasn't meant as any slight to Iamnothim.  He's right to not be happy.

I think the high voltage may corrode the pins after enough usage. Buying used NOS, its fine so long inside the tube looks okay.  After having my brother look at some bids I had going on ebay, he suggested I use small amount of 1000 or higher grit sandpaper on each pin and then clean with alcohol to ensure good solid mating with the socket.

I'm starting to think that if I'm going to roll a lot to find what I like, then I'm going to have to get some socket savers until I settle down. Getting the first pair out of the Lyr was a bitch with even my small fingers. Rocked a bit much on the first one and one of the pins got a bit of a curve to it.  Oh well. Best to learn with cheapies

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #5,541 of 8,735
Quote:
I have heard that newer tubes like JJ's and Gold Lions need a good bit o' burn-in to settle down.  I never held on to any long enough to see if was true.
tongue.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Burning in is all I seem to be doing lately. Everything is new new new.

The 6N23P Cryo's I got hit 30hrs this morning. So I sat listen and while browsing came across this: "Audio Stax - Die Raumklang".
Stax used electrostatic microphones to capture some really good binaural space.

I was just settling into the presented room, listening Sabina (front left) explain the room layout while Micheal (rear right) softly plays guitar. I'm really relaxed.  Then in walks this guy Gunther (door right). He walks about here and there talking and Sabina translating and keeping up the monologue.  Then he starts getting into my space.  Getting in within 30cm or as described. He talks behind me, in front of me. On top... continues on. I'm starting to reel and trying not to get out of my chair. Then he leans right in and whispers something German right in my ear. Well, I literally screamed and ripped off the HD800s!  I ran and hid in the corner for a minute to shake off the most awful sense of invasion of personal space. *shiver*

I couldn't stop laughing. 

So anyhow, I think the detail is coming along nicely. :wink:

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #5,542 of 8,735
Quote:

I think the high voltage may corrode the pins after enough usage. Buying used NOS, its fine so long inside the tube looks okay.  After having my brother look at some bids I had going on ebay, he suggested I use small amount of 1000 or higher grit sandpaper on each pin and then clean with alcohol to ensure good solid mating with the socket.

I'm starting to think that if I'm going to roll a lot to find what I like, then I'm going to have to get some socket savers until I settle down. Getting the first pair out of the Lyr was a bitch with even my small fingers. Rocked a bit much on the first one and one of the pins got a bit of a curve to it.  Oh well. Best to learn with cheapies

I have these little Zirconia Alumina file sticks. They work great on Non-Gold pins.
Don't let the 320 grit size scare you.  The grit is like powder.  Either Extra-Fine or Polish works great.
Do not use liquids !  IMO that includes DeOxIt.

Description:
Designed for cleaning contacts and relays, these files can be bent and twisted into hard-to-reach spots. They're made of zirconia alumina grain pressed into a flexible core and can be used with all types of metal and plastic. Files are nonchipping and nonconductive

http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-contact-abrasive-cleaners/=lnvtpb

If you like, I'll send you one.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #5,543 of 8,735
OK, I'm sure I can google this..... what is/are Cryo's  A Cryogenic process I assume.
I've seen it on HP custom cables.  But never for valves.

YET, I've read post where guys talk about cryo tubes.

Please edjamakate me.

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #5,544 of 8,735
  1. Iamnothim
  2. Have you received your tubes from Lithuania yet??

Jack

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #5,545 of 8,735
Quote:
OK, I'm sure I can google this..... what is/are Cryo's  A Cryogenic process I assume.
I've seen it on HP custom cables.  But never for valves.

YET, I've read post where guys talk about cryo tubes.

Please edjamakate me.

Here's the set I bought. I got the link from this thread no less. The description of the process is on every page in case you have doubt. :)  I can't compare them to an untreated pair *shug*. But they seem to be working out well enough.

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=243&osCsid=e4m0cjj2bnkg77k74htqu0s6g7

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #5,548 of 8,735
Quote:
Although some people say it is bogus, others swear by it.  Here's a site that talks about cryoed tubes (and sells them too...).

http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/index.php

I'm neither one way or the other about them.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Thanks Heck,

I had never seen cryo mentioned in any tube listing I've read.

UPDATE:  1980's E188CC  "RTC"
Langrex (the vendor) has offered to refund the purchase price plus round trip shipping.
They were very apologetic.  A stand up reseller.

I passed on these valves to buy the RTC's because I thought they were 1960.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330876855394?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

These too are dimple getter.  But they are 1972 (according to the ad.  I can't see the codes) Mithcam, E188CC
with deep hats.  NOS and the boxes.   $120 USD.

Here I go opening my big-ass-key-clicking….Again.

This may be a steel considering Tubemonger wants $300 for essentially the same valve.
Further justification can be had from an $80 price for used mid 60's OG's.  Not gold pin.

Further,  I posted the spec a few pages back for the E188CC.  They are guaranteed 10,000 hours of life average foe a 100 valve lot.
The E188CC is spec'd for interment mfg.'s and the military.  Hence the guarantee.

So a 10,000 hour, Mullard gold pin "tube" for a pair $120…
 There are 8 pairs left.
What do you think?

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #5,549 of 8,735
I had these in my watch list for a while now but it appears that they are sold. Auction ended.

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #5,550 of 8,735
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back