Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #4,338 of 8,735
It's late. All the techno music guys are out.
SS Vampire music.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #4,339 of 8,735
Deadly hobby.....really is.  Listening to the Lorenz Stuggarts now.....I am officially wow'ed over @ the dimensionality of these tubes.  And that's after listening to a lot of other nice stuff (e288cc siemens, amperex hollands, mullards varities, Siemens A frames, Siemens/Haskel ccA's grey shields, e188cc varieties etc).  Definitely deserves the high praise I've been seeing on this thread.

Whoa!!!!!!

I've been down that path before.

Siemens CCa..... Yawn
Telefunkens..... Slight pause........Yawn
Lorenz Stuttgart..... Pause.... Long Pause.... But Yawn

I suggest paying the $$$$ upfront for a matched pair of Amperex pinched waist 6922 tubes.
They are really the best and you will never ever have to look over your shoulder for the next "better" valve again!

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #4,340 of 8,735
Opinion:

AMPEREX USN-CEP 6922 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1965 PAIR MATCHED PAIR (USA) NOS

Well, this didn't take long. (2 hrs.)
I thought the Amprex Orange Globes were beautiful.  And they are.
The Amprex Bugle Boy's with my Senn HD650's ...  Much better than stock but not as nice as the Orange Globes.

Then there's these 65' Amprex USA's

IMO....These tubes (USA) are from another planet.
It defies logic how a tube could make such a dramatic difference.  Incredible voice and definition.  They gush music.
Dimentionality.  Good word.
I cannot see how anything will sound better.... to me.  Perhaps tripling the cost of my kit.  Not going to happen.
Perhaps they're just a great fit with the HD650's.   Don't know, don't really care.

How much do I like them?
I spent another $250 on another set as a "hot spare"
If they are rare now, they'll only get harder to find.

I think I'm done rolling.
I happy..... make that estatic. 

You've hit the Jackpot!!!

The Amperex *USA 6922 has around 90% of the sonic signature of the famous holy grail pinched waist tubes AND at a much cheaper price.
My tubes were the D getter with grey shields.

YMMV for the later "O" getter version.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #4,341 of 8,735
You've hit the Jackpot!!!
The Amperex *USA 6922 has around 90% of the sonic signature of the famous holy grail pinched waist tubes AND at a much cheaper price.
My tubes were the D getter with grey shields.
YMMV for the later "O" getter version.

Thanks.
I'm new to this but but I thought so. I really trust Tubehunter on eBay.
Ron said essentially the same thing as you. I appreciate you confirming that.

I like them very much. I've got Chopin in my ears now.

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #4,342 of 8,735
Quote:
AFAIK, Telefunken never made any e288cc valves.
They were all made by Siemens and branded as Philips, Valvo, Telefunken and ermmm Siemens.
A lot of folks don't know this so a Telefunken E288CC always fetches the highest price on EBay.

Darn you Lord Soth, you chimed in a tad too late lol.  Lesson learned. =X

I also picked up 2 sets of the amperex white pq 7308 e188cc and they are pretty amazing as well.  You're so right on the ccA count.....they are really a bit of a downer for the $$....I think the lorenz is worth more....but solid enough of a tube for me to grab an extra pair that I'm regretting now since it's noisy -_-......

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #4,343 of 8,735
Nice pics iam and congrats sensui on the Lorenz, they are still my favorites for the lyr.

I really don't have much to add, just figuring out how to navigate the new mobile site

Edit
Ok not sure I'm digging the mobile site I was like two pages behind and didn't know till I switched to the desktop site. anyway nice get on the 6922 amperex's iam and sorry bout the noisy tube sensui, what version are they?

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #4,345 of 8,735
Quote:
Nice pics iam and congrats sensui on the Lorenz, they are still my favorites for the lyr.
I really don't have much to add, just figuring out how to navigate the new mobile site
Edit
Ok not sure I'm digging the mobile site I was like two pages behind and didn't know till I switched to the desktop site. anyway nice get on the 6922 amperex's iam and sorry bout the noisy tube sensui, what version are they?

Mobile site?  There's a mobile version of H-F now?  Finally?  Sheesh, if only that were up months ago!

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #4,348 of 8,735
Quote:
Edit

I bought these from audiogon, contacting the guy now to return....not a happy camper.  After this ordeal, I think I'm going to pick up a set of those 6922 US amperex these guys are spewing about....just to see what the fuss is. =P

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tubes-siemens-cca-w-germany-gray-plates-blue-and-yellow-boxes-2012-11-19-accessories-30004

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #4,349 of 8,735
If you're in the US I loan you my spare pair when they come in.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #4,350 of 8,735
Mighty generous of you thanks!  But I wouldn't want to be responsible for possible damage during transit etc.  I can pick up a set of my own heh, just need the refund to come back from these ccA's so the wife doesn't suffocate me in my sleep.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back