Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #4,291 of 8,735
Tube Exchange  1st cut.

List your tubes on exchange.
Submit the invoice when you purchased them.
The party on the short side PayPal's the difference.
Agree to the duration of the exchange.
When the tubes are swapped back the short party gets a refund.

You can't cover every circumstance, In the end it's about trust.

Thoughts?
Would anyone participate?
Same as hardware trading, except on a temporary basis.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #4,292 of 8,735
Quote:
Would be helpful if you could describe how it changed/improved the sound signature and what you were using before. 

I am completely inept with describing how audio changes, and I honestly have no idea what people mean most of the time when they start going off onto detailed descriptions. The best I can go with is that it sounds better to me. There's dozens of people who have described how the Mullard's sound to 'em in this thread, too.

I had been using some 6N1Ps that I ordered at the same time as the Lyr.

Nov 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #4,293 of 8,735
Regarding:

Schiit Lyr
and
AMPEREX ORANGE GLOBE 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1969 DIMPLE GETTER MATCHED PAIR

Buy them.

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #4,294 of 8,735
I think I've been duped: I bought some E288CC tubes off ebay recently, and they arrived today. But, they didn't produce any sound when I plugged them into my Lyr. I took them out and examined them closely, only to find that the internals look quite different from my other E288CC's. I think somebody took another type of tube and printed "E288CC" on them. If anybody here bought some tubes listed as Siemens&Halskie E288CC from ebay recently, you may want to return them.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #4,295 of 8,735
I think I've been duped: I bought some E288CC tubes off ebay recently, and they arrived today. But, they didn't produce any sound when I plugged them into my Lyr. I took them out and examined them closely, only to find that the internals look quite different from my other E288CC's. I think somebody took another type of tube and printed "E288CC" on them. If anybody here bought some tubes listed as Siemens&Halskie E288CC from ebay recently, you may want to return them.

I'm really sorry to hear that.
I hope the eBay vendor back up the product he sold you.

Today installed my very first set of tubes. I purchased them from "Tubehunter" on eBay.
I am delighted with how they sound.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #4,296 of 8,735
Quote:

Regarding:

Schiit Lyr
and
AMPEREX ORANGE GLOBE 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1969 DIMPLE GETTER MATCHED PAIR

Buy them.

Are they really that good? I bought mine a few days after you made your first post about them. I am really excited now.

I should get them sometime next week.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #4,297 of 8,735
Quote:
Are they really that good? I bought mine a few days after you made your first post about them. I am really excited now.

I should get them sometime next week.

Caveats:
1) This is my first set of headphones.
2) I have 30 hours on Sennheiser HD650's.  There are many posts on the Sennheiser 650 thread stating they need at least 100 hours to open up.
3) It's hard to deny that psychologically I wanted the tubes to sound better than the stock tubes, as this is not science.

Ok:
I have them in my hands.  I pick out a few HD Tracks 24/16 bit selections to listen to on the JJ's before I pull them.  Paul Simon Graceland remastered.  Buddy Guy & Jr. Wells ALone and Acoustic Sally Mae.  Beach Boys Pet Sounds God Only Knows, Elton Madman Across the Water, Beatles Rubber Soul (remastered) Norwegian Wood.

I'm thinking, "I'm crazy.  No way I will be able to hear the difference."

They made a difference and, to me, it wasn't subtle.  It was a "this is an amazing difference".  IMO The music opened up about 15-20%.  I swear I heard more components in God only Knows.  Breathing on vocals, more sustain on percussion.  A whole lot of little things.  The staccato of stings on Buddy Guy's guitar, the guitar in Madman, and the sitar in Norwegian Wood…  Astonishing  The sitar in Beatles tracks are drop dead gorgeous.  Like the best peach you've ever had with juice running down your face.  Just overwhelming.  Did I mention that I liked them?

If it were easy to swap back to the JJ' and try again, I would.  However, 1) I don't want to give them up. and 2) I don't want to stress the pins on 40 yr old tubes.

I also bought a pair of Amprex Bugle Boys.  It's going to be some time before I unwrap them and roll them in.  I can't imagine they'll sound better or…. I'll be able to pick up any difference. The Orange Globes will be "cemented" in place until I have 200-400 hours on the HD650's.  Then the Bugle Boy's…. Maybe.

IMO… They are that good.

I am looking forward, very much, to reading your opinion after you give your set a listen.  I really hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

It's counter intuitive to think that an electrical component manufactured 40 years ago would sound better than something made today. Crazy.

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #4,298 of 8,735
OK.  I have a problem.
I've been using the Orange Globes one day.  I love their sound.
The Bugle are still wrapped up.

Then Why? Why did I buy these?
AMPEREX USN-CEP 6922 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE 1965 PAIR MATCHED PAIR BRAND NEWNIB
(They are made in the USA.)

Because I'm an easy sell and the eBay listing said:
[size=medium]Once they are gone I have NO MORE. You may never see tubes like this again.[/size]
[size=medium]I have only ever seen a few in all my years.[/size]

As an old salesman I often used the quote:  "The fear of loss is greater than the desire to gain."

I'm going to keep these bad boys under wraps for awhile.

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4,300 of 8,735
Quote:
Iamnothim, Im betting you can tell a difference between the holland made 6dj8 and the u.s 6922 amperex. Imho you should totally roll them, you might like what you hear.

I appreciate that.
and...I better like what I hear !
Knowing my total lack of patience...... the smart money is on rolling asap.

I'm very new, but having a great time.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #4,301 of 8,735
Having a jolly ol' time rolling tubes lately.....too busy to even post much hah.  But I just received the e288cc telefunkens today from ebay.....some things seem to set off an alarm for me:

1)  There is no signature diamond etch at the bottom of the tubes....just says 1....or 7.....on the bottom.
2)  The printing doesn't really come off @ all when I'm even picking at it with my finger nail.

Can some experts chime in here?  These seem like fakes to me compared to my other set of telefunken e188cc.  Appreciate any feedback in advance.

P.S.  Original ebay auction for some pictures of the tubes in questions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180890573733?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #4,302 of 8,735
Quote:
Having a jolly ol' time rolling tubes lately.....too busy to even post much hah.  But I just received the e288cc telefunkens today from ebay.....some things seem to set off an alarm for me:

1)  There is no signature diamond etch at the bottom of the tubes....just says 1....or 7.....on the bottom.
2)  The printing doesn't really come off @ all when I'm even picking at it with my finger nail.

Can some experts chime in here?  These seem like fakes to me compared to my other set of telefunken e188cc.  Appreciate any feedback in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180890573733?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I personally would never buy from Korea, but he does have perfect eBay feedback. Have you contacted him?

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #4,303 of 8,735
Yeah already sent an inquiry,  The good thing is ebay will always side with the customer so he's the one in the hot seat....the perfect feedback is what got me buyin and the fact the e288cc aren't that easy to find for the telefunkens.....*sigh*

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #4,304 of 8,735
Quote:

From Audio Tubes .com....

E288CC:

[size=medium]This unusual tube is basically a 7308 / E188CC in a slightly taller bottle. The filament current draw is also slightly higher but for most applications it is plug and play compatible with the 6922, 7308, Cca, or even the 6DJ8. Physical space is a consideration, since the tube is about one-half inch taller than the rest of the tubes on this page. It features gold pins, factory screened triodes for low noise, 10,000 heater life, and all the other great features that make the 7308 and the Cca such high-demand tubes. Since it is a relative unknown, the prices are about the same as good 6922 tubes, and far below that of most 7308 or Cca types! I have only seen this tube in Valvo, Telefunken, or Siemens brands. Worth giving a try if you want the best but cannot afford the soaring costs of NOS 7308 or Cca tubes.[/size]

The description in the eBay auction and the pictures seem to match Brent Jessee's write up (above)  That said I get the impression that the tube should have cost less.

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #4,305 of 8,735
Quote:
But I just received the e288cc telefunkens today from ebay.....some things seem to set off an alarm for me:

It's clear that those were not made by Telefunken. It seems to me that they were made by Siemens for Telefunken. I don't think that they are fakes as such.

Is there an etched code, or a metal tab with four characters fixed to a support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back