Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #4,201 of 8,735
I've been reading through replies on this thread, however, I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I am looking to buy a set of tubes that will provide heavier bass. Currently I'm using the 691P tubes from schiit, but while they do provide some pretty solid directional sound for gaming I feel that I need more bass from my lyr. If it helps, my setup is cambridge audio dacmagic -> schiit lyr -> akg q701.

Thanks!

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #4,202 of 8,735
Quote:
I've been reading through replies on this thread, however, I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I am looking to buy a set of tubes that will provide heavier bass. Currently I'm using the 691P tubes from schiit, but while they do provide some pretty solid directional sound for gaming I feel that I need more bass from my lyr. If it helps, my setup is cambridge audio dacmagic -> schiit lyr -> akg q701.

Thanks!

To my ears, the Lorenz Stuttgarts have terrific bass, but sadly those tubes are close to unobtainium.

I seem to remember the Japanese Matsushiita/National PCC88s (Mullard tooling) having pretty nice bass for a reasonable price.

Anyone else have those and can comment on the bass?

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #4,203 of 8,735
You got me interested with your note.  Been using the stock GE's for a few months now so I decided to roll in the Matsu/Nationals  E88CC 6922 Mullard Tooling. Not sure that the bass is any better than the GE's (pretty close) but I'm liking what I'm getting out of the mids. A little more present, detailed with better separation than forward. Not liking the highs too much - probably bringing out the HD700 peaks. The GE's seem to have a wider soundstage which I love, a little less mid detail, bass is about the same and maybe rolled off highs which suits the HD700.
Think I'm going to stick with the GE's.  YMMV.
Wish I didn't sell off my Lorenz but they helped pay for my Bifrost - wait a minute - sold the unobtaniums to you 
blink.gif
 Sounds like you're enjoying them! 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
To my ears, the Lorenz Stuttgarts have terrific bass, but sadly those tubes are close to unobtainium.

I seem to remember the Japanese Matsushiita/National PCC88s (Mullard tooling) having pretty nice bass for a reasonable price.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #4,204 of 8,735
Quote:
You got me interested with your note.  Been using the stock GE's for a few months now so I decided to roll in the Matsu/Nationals  E88CC 6922 Mullard Tooling. Not sure that the bass is any better than the GE's (pretty close) but I'm liking what I'm getting out of the mids. A little more present, detailed with better separation than forward. Not liking the highs too much - probably bringing out the HD700 peaks. The GE's seem to have a wider soundstage which I love, a little less mid detail, bass is about the same and maybe rolled off highs which suits the HD700.
Think I'm going to stick with the GE's.  YMMV.
Wish I didn't sell off my Lorenz but they helped pay for my Bifrost - wait a minute - sold the unobtaniums to you 
blink.gif
 Sounds like you're enjoying them!

I would die for a pair of those...Valvos and Mullards too...phew so much possibility. I think Gold Lions are up next for me. Either that or the Matsus.

Kojaku

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #4,205 of 8,735
Quote:

The Bugle Boys are pretty good as well as the Mullards.

I didn't find the Nationals to be that great, similar to the GE's, I'd say.

One of the best tubes I found were the Siemen A-frames.
I'm not sure about pricing, I picked mine up from Mrscary for $120.
A buddy got a quote from Brent Jessee that said they were in upwards of $400,
I then traded those for more Lorenz. 
biggrin.gif

As mentioned before the RCA clear tops and black plates are quite nice themselves.
I've also heard the cheapo Lorenz SEL are pretty good.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #4,206 of 8,735
I think I'm going to try the Gold Lions and then call it a day.  This tube rolling thing may just force me to get a solid state amp 
blink.gif
 but never going to give up the Lyr.  Love it!
Quote:
I would die for a pair of those...Valvos and Mullards too...phew so much possibility. I think Gold Lions are up next for me. Either that or the Matsus.

Kojaku

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #4,207 of 8,735
After doing some swapping last night and listening to the Nationals this morning, I pretty much agree with this. In my case, I prefer the GE.
Quote:

I didn't find the Nationals to be that great, similar to the GE's, I'd say.

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #4,208 of 8,735
I want to try Lorenz with Lyr+HE-400,

someone please share link to buy them, I am new to tubes and not sure about right match one's

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #4,209 of 8,735
Quote:

someone please share link to buy them, I am new to tubes and not sure about right match one's

You just need to pay special attention to the getters, to make sure you're getting either 2-mica or 3-mica Stuttgarts.

Also, I would believe your best bet at finding a pair would be from a Head-Fi'er. 

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #4,210 of 8,735
Quote:
After doing some swapping last night and listening to the Nationals this morning, I pretty much agree with this. In my case, I prefer the GE.

Sorry guys, looks like I was mis-remembering the bass level of the Matsu's. I couldn't check because I no longer had them.

I should have kept better notes.  Also, the sun was in my eyes and I had a rock in my shoe.
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #4,211 of 8,735
Quote:
Sorry guys, looks like I was mis-remembering the bass level of the Matsu's. I couldn't check because I no longer had them.

I should have kept better notes.  Also, the sun was in my eyes and I had a rock in my shoe.
biggrin.gif

LOL! What

Were your shoes untied as well, but you had your hands full so there was nothing you could do...

Oct 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #4,212 of 8,735
Quote:

Thanks!

I use the CV2492 Mullard for my K701.. and they are BRILLIANT. They give much more body to my K701 (and i am sure they will do even better with the Qs)

In fact, do you guys know where I can find a replacement for these tubes because I feel like they are failing me 
triportsad.gif
 I love them so much and recently they have been making too much noise. I decided to give them some rest. I really wanna have them replaced.. with either new CV2942 (or even CV2943) or something else.. any suggestions guys?

Oct 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #4,213 of 8,735
Quote:

I use the CV2492 Mullard for my K701.. and they are BRILLIANT. They give much more body to my K701 (and i am sure they will do even better with the Qs)

In fact, do you guys know where I can find a replacement for these tubes because I feel like they are failing me 
triportsad.gif
 I love them so much and recently they have been making too much noise. I decided to give them some rest. I really wanna have them replaced.. with either new CV2942 (or even CV2943) or something else.. any suggestions guys?

1. No info on stock

2. In stock - Limited - HURRY!

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #4,214 of 8,735
Quote:
Quote:

You just need to pay special attention to the getters, to make sure you're getting either 2-mica or 3-mica Stuttgarts.

Also, I would believe your best bet at finding a pair would be from a Head-Fi'er. 

Thanks for Replay,

I found a pair of PCC88/7DJ8 LORENZ SEL in ebay, not sure 2-mica or 3-mica...

it is listed as "PCC88/7DJ8 LORENZ SEL NOS Tube Röhre Lampe TSF Valvola Valvula", how to identify 2-mica or 3-mica

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #4,215 of 8,735
Quote:

Thanks for Replay,

I found a pair of PCC88/7DJ8 LORENZ SEL in ebay, not sure 2-mica or 3-mica...

it is listed as "PCC88/7DJ8 LORENZ SEL NOS Tube Röhre Lampe TSF Valvola Valvula", how to identify 2-mica or 3-mica

Ah, you dont' have to worry about 2-mica or 3-mica with the Lorenz SEL. The 2-mica and 3-mica variants are the Lorenz Stuttgart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back