Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #4,051 of 8,735
The GE 6BQ7A is no slouch when comparing to the big tube picture and the price make them more attractive.  Look on Tube Depot, they shouldn't be more than $4.00 per tube matched.

I found the Russian 6N1P military to be acceptable, although they run hot since the heater current is higher, but they're bested by the GE's.  Mullard tend to be warm sounding, so I match them with a "hotter" headphone, tone down the bright/treble sound.

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #4,054 of 8,735
Interested here, but wondering how bad that hissing would be with Grados (32 ohm) - anyone out there try the 3 micas with low impedance headphones?  Does the impedance affect the hiss?

I went to a friends house and brought my lyr with the Lorenz 2micas, which on my lcd2&3 are totally quiet. I tried them out with his grado hf-1,hf-2,and rs-1 and was surprised to hear how noisey the tubes were. The grados were really sensitive(7:30/8 was pretty loud) and they made the noise floor really prevalent when music wasn't playing.

Edit
I will add though with the lcd2 the Lorenz 3 mica is probably my favorite tube. It sounds really nice regardless of genre or a small hum.

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #4,057 of 8,735
I've used an inline attenuator for trying my Shure 530's with the Lyr (yes, looking for trouble), but I have to wonder if adding a 120Ohm load would change the frequency response or other aspects of the headphone.  I would hope the amp would be stable enough (and definitely powerful enough) to drive the load regardless, but admittedly, my knowledge in this area isn't that keen.

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #4,059 of 8,735
Sep 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #4,060 of 8,735
I have had a similar experience with Russian tubes, NOS from 1968.  They even had an insert printed on green paper that showed missiles flying lol.  Good tubes though, I think I paid @ $7 a set, and they basically hammered the stock GE's for the Lyr.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #4,061 of 8,735
Quote:
I have had a similar experience with Russian tubes, NOS from 1968.  They even had an insert printed on green paper that showed missiles flying lol.  Good tubes though, I think I paid @ $7 a set, and they basically hammered the stock GE's for the Lyr.

Nice.  What specific things were better about them over the GEs?  Do you remember where you ordered them from?

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #4,063 of 8,735
FWIW, just had one of my Tubemonger socket savers fail.  Nothing electrical - the 9 pin socket on top fell within the (I guess ceramic?) body, and unable to force it back to the top to reseat/reglue it in place.  Send them a note asking about warranty, but not finding anything mentioning guarantee or warranty on anything but actual tubes on their site.

Any deal with this situation yet, as these seem to be fairly popular with Lyr owners?

Thanks! :)

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #4,064 of 8,735
Quote:
I sell my Lorenz Stuttgart 3mica. They have a noticeable hissing in the background on lowest volume. With my T1 it is more noticeable as with the LCD2. With LCD2 the noise is very low. When you play music on normal level it is not noticeable. Others like daylydoseofdaly have the same background noise with the 3micas. But I'm not a tube expert and don't know if it is normal. Because it disturb me (I hear often on very low volume) I sell them. I can imagine that for other users this little hissing is a fart.

PM me if you are interested.

This is a common problem with all tubes even brand new they can be bad from the factory this is not brand dependent. Firstly no one will want them if they are hissing that is a sign that one will be go out how long who knows there is not gurantee with tubes.
Now consider the fact you have tubes that were built 50+ years ago. There never is any gurantee you will buy a set of tubes and they will last the ETBF 5,7 or 10,000 hours.. I have bought NOS tubes and had the Siemens CCa's out out in a week..
Then I bought a used set of Mullards and they have gone thousands of hours.. I have has 5 sets of the Lorenz I had one set go out one of the tubes in ohhhh 2hours...

You cannot sell them to anyone that has a brain I would give you .99 cents and I am not joking.

Do some research learn about the technology..

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #4,065 of 8,735
Quote:
FWIW, just had one of my Tubemonger socket savers fail.  Nothing electrical - the 9 pin socket on top fell within the (I guess ceramic?) body, and unable to force it back to the top to reseat/reglue it in place.  Send them a note asking about warranty, but not finding anything mentioning guarantee or warranty on anything but actual tubes on their site.

Any deal with this situation yet, as these seem to be fairly popular with Lyr owners?

Thanks! :)

Followup - they responded after a few hours (after hours Pacific time!) and said they'll just ship a new one out.  Also said they've seen a handful of these, but the rate is under 1%.  Thinking about adding a bit of extra glue on the other one now :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back