Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #4,021 of 8,735
I just noticed something peculiar about my CV2492 tubes.. I had my amp running for about 4-5 hours now and noticed a dramatically warmer sound than before. I do understand that most tubes get warmer after you keep them running for a while, hence the need to burn them in for 20ish mins before listening, but this much???? 

Like they are VERY warm.... im not sure if its a good thing since im not used to such a warm sound coming from my headphones, but i suppose its rather intersting. What do you guys think?

Listening to Echoes- Pink Floyd, the sound is significantly warmer than when I heard this song a few hours back.. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #4,024 of 8,735
I've never tube-rolled before, even though I've had the Lyr for a few months now. Finally got myself the 6N1P from Schiit, and loving it! It seems to be shifted towards right, in comparison to the 6BZ7: a little more treble, enough to bring sparkle to music on the HD650. Out of the box, the treble can be troublesome especially in music that's recorded a little hot. It mellows just slightly, but after a day of burning in, it is still like reading a lie detector test: it masks none of the ugly of poorly recorded music.

Definitely has the 3D quality that has been mentioned before. This tube seems really great for the HD650; it complements the HD650's dark and forgiving nature, while the 6BZ7 highlights it.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #4,025 of 8,735
Been using the Gold Lion's for well over a week now, and I don't know that I can hear anything special about them.  I suppose they sound transparent, but they don't introduce very much of a tube sound at all. Anyone else have experience with these?

Sep 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #4,027 of 8,735
I bought Lorenz Stuttgart 3mica. Great sounding tubes but I have a big problem. With my T1 and LCD2 they have a very noticeable hissing in the background. When I hear on low volume it nerves a lot. Has someone else the same problems? Is this common with Lorenz Stuttgart?
With other tubes I have no noise in the background.

My Lorenz 3mica has an audible hum to it. I remember songmic saying his had a hum too, so maybe it is common. My 2 mica version is very quiet however...

btw Im referring to the pcc88 version

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #4,029 of 8,735
Yes I have the pcc88 version. With the T1 the hum is a bit louder as with LCD2. But noticeable with both in lower volumes.

Its one of my favorite sounding tubes so I just try to ignore the hum, plus I can't hear it when music is playing. Some have had good results with using detoxit on the pins, I need to order some and try it.

Sep 15, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #4,032 of 8,735
Doh! I must be doing something wrong or my hearing is off.  After spending hundreds on tubes, I like the stock GE tubes the best.

Here's what I have:

• GE 6BZ7 (mv Stock - 2 Pairs)
• Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 - A-Frame, PQ label
• Matsu****a E88CC 6922 Japan - MINT NOS NIB Mullard Tooling
• Mullard CV2492 E88CC 6922 - 1969-1978 Dimple Disc Getter 

Should I try some PCC88?

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #4,033 of 8,735
Doh! I must be doing something wrong or my hearing is off.  After spending hundreds on tubes, I like the stock GE tubes the best.

Here's what I have:

• GE 6BZ7 (mv Stock - 2 Pairs)
• Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 - A-Frame, PQ label
• Matsu****a E88CC 6922 Japan - MINT NOS NIB Mullard Tooling
• Mullard CV2492 E88CC 6922 - 1969-1978 Dimple Disc Getter 

Should I try some PCC88?

You have a lot of warm sounding tubes, maybe a German type( telefunken,siemens,lorenz) might be more your preference?

The pcc88 and ecc88 types I have sound the same to me,as to say there isnt a quality that i hear that makes me say, oh thats a 7dj8.although the price is lower for the most part with the pcc88

Sep 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #4,034 of 8,735
I have just sold my Lyr as it does not match well with the AT-W3000ANV I recently purchased. 

However, before doing so I experimented with some ECC189 tubes.  Although I would have liked to have spent more time with them, I found them to work as well as the E888CC and PCC88 families.  Because they are not as popular and their uses are more limited, they are also generally much cheaper.  There are bargains to be had.  My favourite tubes, bar none, were some NOS Telefunken PCC189s. This was while listening to HE-500s (which I have also sold). 

If someone is willing to take my experiments further, I would thoroughly recommend trying them out and reporting back to the thread. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back