Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #3,797 of 8,735
Have prices for Lorenz inflated yet...if so..I'm ready to sell a few. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #3,798 of 8,735
There are two versions of this tube...the clear tops,& the blackplates..the cleartops have a bit more on the top end.......the blackplates have  a stronger bass..

That's funny i felt like the black plates had more high energy, and the clear tops had slightly more bass.
Either way you can definitely tell they are siblings and both have a addictive sound to me

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #3,799 of 8,735
Does anyone have any opinion on these??
http://www.tubemonger.com/MPs_MINT_NOS_Ei_PCC88_1968_Lorenz_SEL_Falcon_logo_p/801.htm 

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #3,800 of 8,735
Quote:
That's funny i felt like the black plates had more high energy, and the clear tops had slightly more bass.
Either way you can definitely tell they are siblings and both have a addictive sound to me

Well,the blackplates that Jesse sold me,which were a matched pair..seemed to give me a slight bass increase...I called him about it,& he said the same thing..
who knows,could be the phones? we use,the amp?
Anyway,I enjoy both....a good quality tube at a very low price...and most importantly...made in USA.

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #3,802 of 8,735
Here is a brief summery of the latest batch of Matched pairs that I have tried in order of preference:

[size=x-small]LORENZ PCC 88- [/size][size=x-small]Fantastically rich meaty sound, bass and mids very prevalent. This is my favorite so far. The only negative is the sound stage is not as wide. Phenomenal with bassy music.[/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]SIEMENS 6DJ8- [/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small]Wonderful sound, sparkling highs and the widest sound stage and instrument separation of the bunch. Bass extension and mids not as good as the Lorenzs (not far behind though). .[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]AMPEREX ORANGE LABEL 6DJ8- The most "tubey" sounding. Very nice for rock and folk. Absolutely haunting vocals with these tubes. [/size][/size]

[size=x-small]Ediswan 6922- [/size][size=x-small]Rich and bass heavy, great mids and highs. Not very good with sound stage.[/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Westinghouse 6922- [/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small]Nice sounding tube that does everything above average. [/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small]GE Smoke glass ECC88-[/size][/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small] I was disappointed with these. They sound decent, but not quit up to the Westinghouse. I bought them from E-bay so who knows..... I expected more.[/size][/size][/size]

RCA USA 6CG7 3 Black - Sweet "middle of the road" sound. Lacks the energy of the ones listed above this.

I do realize that sound is subjective, this is just an attempt to describe how these latest tube purchases sound to me.

[size=x-small][size=x-small] These are a fewTh[/size][/size]

Jul 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #3,803 of 8,735
Here is a brief summery of the latest batch of Matched pairs that I have tried in order of preference:

[size=x-small]LORENZ PCC 88- [/size][size=x-small]Fantastically rich meaty sound, bass and mids very prevalent. This is my favorite so far. The only negative is the sound stage is not as wide. Phenomenal with bassy music.[/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]SIEMENS 6DJ8- [/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small]Wonderful sound, sparkling highs and the widest sound stage and instrument separation of the bunch. Bass extension and mids not as good as the Lorenzs (not far behind though). .[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]AMPEREX ORANGE LABEL 6DJ8- The most "tubey" sounding. Very nice for rock and folk. Absolutely haunting vocals with these tubes. [/size][/size]

[size=x-small]Ediswan 6922- [/size][size=x-small]Rich and bass heavy, great mids and highs. Not very good with sound stage.[/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Westinghouse 6922- [/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small]Nice sounding tube that does everything above average. [/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small]GE Smoke glass ECC88-[/size][/size][/size][size=x-small][size=x-small][size=x-small] I was disappointed with these. They sound decent, but not quit up to the Westinghouse. I bought them from E-bay so who knows..... I expected more.[/size][/size][/size]

RCA USA 6CG7 3 Black - Sweet "middle of the road" sound. Lacks the energy of the ones listed above this.

I do realize that sound is subjective, this is just an attempt to describe how these latest tube purchases sound to me.

[size=x-small][size=x-small] These are a fewTh[/size][/size]

Thanks for the summary. I am not surprised by the 6GC7 results, the operating point with the 6GC7 is in a very non-linear region with this amp, more distortion very weak output impedance/transductance. This amp the Lyr is really a platform to build on, it competes with the best hybrids I've heard, but if you want to use 6GC7's its going to take a big re-work for the higher B+ and VA, at least if you are swinging a lot of voltage for Hifimans/orthos. With real efficient phones the poor operating point may not hurt things too bad since its only swing tens of a volt. The Lyr is the deal of the century as far as hybrids go when it comes to powering low efficient phones like my Hifi-mans (HE5-LE.) I still find it interesting to see folks tube rolling without upgrading the coupling caps which directly follow the tube, I swear they have equal impact on the sound as the tubes themselves (assuming you are running a 6dj8 type and not trying to add distortion.) If you are a tube guy replace the $4 Wimas with a pair of P-I-O caps, if you want the most revealing/true to recording sound there are the teflon caps, endless possibillities. Just watch the heat and voltage rating, the cap sees a little over 110VDC with a good condition 6DJ8 type. There are tons of info out there to read up on coupling caps, just really think it is worth mentioning here as the improvement in sound upgrading from the plastic caps is huge. I just ordered a pair of the Lorenz PCC88 (noticed they were made on Holland tooling :) Just a little leary running the heater under spec. Since the heater tap can power the 6n1P's, there is probably enough VA to rectify and filter down to 6.8V's or so if you really want to get the most of the 7V tube.

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #3,804 of 8,735
Any specific caps you have in mind? I was looking at these but am not sure of the specs I should get. I use S&H cca's as well as some bugle boys and rca silvertop pre amp tubes in my lyr.

Thanks for the summary.I am not surprised by the 6GC7 results, the operating point with the 6GC7 is in a very non-linear region with this amp, more distortion very weak output impedance/transductance. This amp the Lyr is really a platform to build on, it competes with the best hybrids I've heard, but if you want to use 6GC7's its going to take a big re-work for the higher B+ and VA, at least if you are swinging a lot of voltage for Hifimans/orthos. With real efficient phones the poor operating point may not hurt things too bad since its only swing tens of a volt. The Lyr is the deal of the century as far as hybrids go when it comes to powering low efficient phones like my Hifi-mans (HE5-LE.)I still find it interesting to see folks tube rolling without upgrading the coupling caps which directly follow the tube, I swear they have equal impact on the sound as the tubes themselves (assuming you are running a 6dj8 type and not trying to add distortion.) If you are a tube guy replace the $4 Wimas with a pair of P-I-O caps, if you want the most revealing/true to recording sound there are the teflon caps, endless possibillities. Just watch the heat and voltage rating, the cap sees a little over 110VDC with a good condition 6DJ8 type. There are tons of info out there to read up on coupling caps, just really think it is worth mentioning here as the improvement in sound upgrading from the plastic caps is huge.I just ordered a pair of the Lorenz PCC88 (noticed they were made on Holland tooling :) Just a little leary running the heater under spec. Since the heater tap can power the 6n1P's, there is probably enough VA to rectify and filter down to 6.8V's or so if you really want to get the most of the 7V tube.

Jul 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #3,805 of 8,735
Quote:
Any specific caps you have in mind? I was looking at these but am not sure of the specs I should get. I use S&H cca's as well as some bugle boys and rca silvertop pre amp tubes in my lyr.

+1 on this question as well & have many different types of tubes..
Any further info ,would be much appreciated..

TNX,
Mike

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #3,806 of 8,735
Quote:

Thanks for the summary.I am not surprised by the 6GC7 results, the operating point with the 6GC7 is in a very non-linear region with this amp, more distortion very weak output impedance/transductance. This amp the Lyr is really a platform to build on, it competes with the best hybrids I've heard, but if you want to use 6GC7's its going to take a big re-work for the higher B+ and VA, at least if you are swinging a lot of voltage for Hifimans/orthos. With real efficient phones the poor operating point may not hurt things too bad since its only swing tens of a volt. The Lyr is the deal of the century as far as hybrids go when it comes to powering low efficient phones like my Hifi-mans (HE5-LE.)I still find it interesting to see folks tube rolling without upgrading the coupling caps which directly follow the tube, I swear they have equal impact on the sound as the tubes themselves (assuming you are running a 6dj8 type and not trying to add distortion.) If you are a tube guy replace the $4 Wimas with a pair of P-I-O caps, if you want the most revealing/true to recording sound there are the teflon caps, endless possibillities. Just watch the heat and voltage rating, the cap sees a little over 110VDC with a good condition 6DJ8 type. There are tons of info out there to read up on coupling caps, just really think it is worth mentioning here as the improvement in sound upgrading from the plastic caps is huge.I just ordered a pair of the Lorenz PCC88 (noticed they were made on Holland tooling :) Just a little leary running the heater under spec. Since the heater tap can power the 6n1P's, there is probably enough VA to rectify and filter down to 6.8V's or so if you really want to get the most of the 7V tube.

Well over biasing a tube or under biasing is done all the time.. That is one of the interesting things about the PC88 Stuggart Lorenz is the Lyr only is putting out 6.3 so they are under biased and are one of the best sounding tubes yet that we have found since we started tube rolling..
why you would be worried about not running at tube at its "operating point" is silly... In the big world of tubes like guitar amps we under bias and over bias all the time...This is nothing new your mention of the caps is of interested how much they would change anything is an unknown with the Lyr
and would have to be investigated but the bottom line is if you changed them would you hear a difference? if not waste of time.

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #3,807 of 8,735
I swore there have been some people within this thread that have changed out the caps, no?

IIRC: The results were "better" but didn't seem as big as rolling tubes.

EDIT: I couldn't find any post on it. Perhaps I was wrong...maybe not...

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #3,808 of 8,735
And,
Is there any confirmation from Jason at Schiit,that this is a safe procedure..
Couldn't it possible cause damage to the Lyr,or worse yet,,to a Lorenz???

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #3,809 of 8,735
Quote:
And,
Is there any confirmation from Jason at Schiit,that this is a safe procedure..
Couldn't it possible cause damage to the Lyr,or worse yet,,to a Lorenz???

rolleyes.gif
 Usually audiophiles are more concerned about damaging their amps than their tubes! LOL

Yes, the Lorenz tubes are very good tubes.

I finally carried out a shootout between the Pinched Waist 6922 Amperex (* USA) versus my stash of Lorenz tubes.
The PW 6922 has the treble euphonic extension of the Lorenz CCa (2 Mica) and the Midrange euphony of the Lorenz E88CC (2 Mica).
The bottom end of the PW 6922 has punch but loses out slightly to the Lorenz PCC88 (2 Mica).

Another way of looking at the PW 6922 is that it is similar to a Lorenz PCC88 (3 Mica) or Lorenz 6922 (3 Mica) in being balanced sonically.
However, the PW 6922 still does sound slightly better at both the Treble and the Midrange.

The normal Amperex 6922s themselves are also almost as good (IMHO at least 90%) as pinched waist Amperex 6922s.
The usual drill about "D" getters and grey shields being better also apply as usual. :wink:

So for those who are lusting after the Lorenz but can't get hold of them,
a suitable and worthy replacement would be the normal Amperex (*USA) 6922 which is cheap and readily available.

Epilogue or Prologue as the case may be. Joe was right! IMHO, the Amperex PW 6922s are the King of the hill! :)

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #3,810 of 8,735
Great info LordSoth..

" Usually audiophiles are more concerned about damaging their amps than their tubes! LOL"

Yes, just thought that Paradoxper,might get a chuckle out that statement.
He loves his Lorenzes...actually,so do I.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back