Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #2,941 of 8,735
Sticking to your budget..thats what I used to say....haa..its an addiction..but great fun
A lot of the guys on this forum are extremely helpful,and some of the more senior members can give you excellent info

You might want o look here:
 http://vintageaudiotubes.com/

He is great,I have bought some of my best tubes from him,and he is very fair on price..a pleasure to deal with.

I'm new at this also,bought my first pair of headphones in Jan.2012...Hd 598's.

Here is another website you should look at closely..it is my bible,& I refer back to it, constantly:
   http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Enjoy,
Mike

Apr 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2,942 of 8,735

Quote:
Sticking to your budget..thats what I used to say....haa..its an addiction..but great fun
A lot of the guys on this forum are extremely helpful,and some of the more senior members can give you excellent info

You might want o look here:
 http://vintageaudiotubes.com/

He is great,I have bought some of my best tubes from him,and he is very fair on price..a pleasure to deal with.

I'm new at this also,bought my first pair of headphones in Jan.2012...Hd 598's.

Here is another website you should look at closely..it is my bible,& I refer back to it, constantly:
   http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Enjoy,
Mike

both sites are already favorites
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #2,943 of 8,735

Quote:
Thanks Mike, that sounds good to me.  I've only rolled in some Matsu's and RCA's at this point and the RCA's were surprisingly better than the GE's and the Matsu's to me.  I expected more from the Matsu's, but they weren't as big an upgrade as I was hoping for.  The RCA's had a much blacker background and really had more of a 3D effect than the Matsu's.  I've only begun to dabble in rolling, but it's definitely been fun.  I'm sticking to my budget (so far) and I'll keep searching for the best bang for the buck. The LCD 2's or HE500's are in my future, so the tube rolling budget isn't going to expand anytime soon.

Joey, it sounds like you and I are hearing the same things in those RCA 6BQ7As, glad you are enjoying them. I'm sure its far from the best tube out there, but I was also surprised at how good they were for little $$$.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #2,944 of 8,735

Quote:
Joey, it sounds like you and I are hearing the same things in those RCA 6BQ7As, glad you are enjoying them. I'm sure its far from the best tube out there, but I was also surprised at how good they were for little $$$.

They were quite the surprise.  I'm not sure who to thank for the find (you or John or someone else), but my wallet and my ears thank you.  I liked them so much I bought a few back up pairs.  I'll probably never buy or hear the best out there, but I'm quite happy with my low budget upgrades/changes so far.
beerchug.gif

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #2,945 of 8,735
     Quote:
They were quite the surprise.  I'm not sure who to thank for the find (you or John or someone else), but my wallet and my ears thank you.  I liked them so much I bought a few back up pairs.  I'll probably never buy or hear the best out there, but I'm quite happy with my low budget upgrades/changes so far.
beerchug.gif

That's all that matters!
biggrin.gif
  Don't let anyone tell you any different...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #2,946 of 8,735
Apr 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #2,947 of 8,735

Quote:
..Does anyone  here,have any experience with the "BugleBoys" tubes
Specifically these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-BUGLE-BOY-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1966-O-GETTER-MATCHED-PAIR-6922-TONE0Q-/320886811986?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ab6582d52#ht_2647wt_1314

They are enroute..

Any info would be appreciated..Tnx,
Mike

Mike, I just received a similar pair of those today (1964's) and a set of Orange Globes.  Same seller as well.  I don't want to say too much, other than I like the Orange Globes a bit more than the Bugle boys so far.  The soundstage seemed to shrink with the Bugle Boys.  Separation and clarity seemed to suffer.  Maybe it's just my pair.  Hopefully you'll have better luck.  Let me know if it's my pair once you have a chance to listen to yours.

Joey

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #2,948 of 8,735
Ok,when I get them..I'll let you know..

Sorry about your set of BB's,...If i were you ,I'd contact the seller,and tell him your impressions-maybe you got a bad set,he's really good about that.
I did that with a pair of old Mullards...
Will see what he sends me to replace them....?????

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #2,949 of 8,735

Quote:
Ok,when I get them..I'll let you know..

Sorry about your set of BB's,...If i were you ,I'd contact the seller,and tell him your impressions-maybe you got a bad set,he's really good about that.
I did that with a pair of old Mullards...
Will see what he sends me to replace them....?????

Yeah, I'm going to have to do that, I also notice a low, almost rumbling hum that I've never heard with any of my other tubes. :frowning2:

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #2,950 of 8,735

Quote:

Quote:
Specifically these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-BUGLE-BOY-6DJ8-ECC88-VACUUM-TUBE-1966-O-GETTER-MATCHED-PAIR-6922-TONE0Q-/320886811986?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ab6582d52#ht_2647wt_1314

They are enroute..

Mike

Mike, I just received a similar pair of those today (1964's) and a set of Orange Globes.  Same seller as well.  I don't want to say too much, other than I like the Orange Globes a bit more than the Bugle boys so far.  The soundstage seemed to shrink with the Bugle Boys.  Separation and clarity seemed to suffer.  Maybe it's just my pair.  Hopefully you'll have better luck.  Let me know if it's my pair once you have a chance to listen to yours.

Joey

Until recently I also liked the Orange Globes (A-frames) more than the Bugles. With the HD650 and LCD-2 I found the OG's more involving, with more pronounced low end, lush mids and a forward and seemingly more dynamic presentation. With these cans the Bugles seemed too polite for my liking, although I did feel the overall balance was very good. Enter the HD800 and the Bugles suddenly reveal themselves significantly better in terms of clarity, imaging and smoothness. Dynamics are now stark and convincing, rather than being in your face at all times. Vocals are well placed, very well defined and gone is the slight dryness apparent on the OG's with the HD800. I have Lorenz Stuttgart tubes that sound similar, though the Bugles win out in vocal transparency and imaging
eek.gif

What you hear is the sum of all your components. The OG's accentuate the coloured signatures of the HD650 and LCD-2, making for a fun and engaging presentation. The Bugles are a clear window when you peer into the music with something as transparent and refined as the HD800. Pick your poison.

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #2,951 of 8,735

Quote:

Until recently I also liked the Orange Globes (A-frames) more than the Bugles. With the HD650 and LCD-2 I found the OG's more involving, with more pronounced low end, lush mids and a forward and seemingly more dynamic presentation. With these cans the Bugles seemed too polite for my liking, although I did feel the overall balance was very good. Enter the HD800 and the Bugles suddenly reveal themselves significantly better in terms of clarity, imaging and smoothness. Dynamics are now stark and convincing, rather than being in your face at all times. Vocals are well placed, very well defined and gone is the slight dryness apparent on the OG's with the HD800. I have Lorenz Stuttgart tubes that sound similar, though the Bugles win out in vocal transparency and imaging
eek.gif

What you hear is the sum of all your components. The OG's accentuate the coloured signatures of the HD650 and LCD-2, making for a fun and engaging presentation. The Bugles are a clear window when you peer into the music with something as transparent and refined as the HD800. Pick your poison.

Well then I look forward to hearing my replacement pair, because there is something definitely wrong with the pair I have. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #2,952 of 8,735
  Oddly enough ,after I sent my post..I got delivery of 2 sets of tubes:

1. Mullard CV2492
2. BugleBoys.
I'm listening the cv2492 now...wow,absolutely beautiful..warm,detailed & clear
I'll test out he BB's later tonight.
Questio,OLorln..
The BB's I just got seem to be in a clear type glass tube,or maybe they are NOS?
The BB logo is on the glass,& it says made in Holland..6DJ8...ecc88...

Joey..make note...one of the pins is bent on my BB's...I'd send back those BB's he sent you??

Olorln:
I'm glad your BB's are having good SQ now,but,you did upgrade to one of the most expensive headphones made.,unless the hd800 are a totally different type of headphone from the lcd's & hd650's?
Correct me ,if I'm wrong on this,please.

Mike

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2,953 of 8,735

Quote:
  Oddly enough ,after I sent my post..I got delivery of 2 sets of tubes:

1. Mullard CV2492
2. BugleBoys.
I'm listening the cv2492 now...wow,absolutely beautiful..warm,detailed & clear
I'll test out he BB's later tonight.
Questio,OLorln..
The BB's I just got seem to be in a clear type glass tube,or maybe they are NOS?
The BB logo is on the glass,& it says made in Holland..6DJ8...ecc88...

Joey..make note...one of the pins is bent???...I'd send back those BB's he sent you??

Olorln:
I'm glad your BB's are having good SQ now,but,you did upgrade to one of the most expensive headphones made.,unless the hd800 are a totally different type of headphone from the lcd's & hd650's?
Correct me ,if I'm wrong on this,please.

Mike

No Mike, none of the pins are bent, I've already sent a message to the seller, these will be going back.  I hope yours sound the way olor1n describes them.  I look forward to hearing a different pair for sure.

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #2,954 of 8,735
 No,One of the pins on MY BB's was bent..
I'm listening to them now.
Joey,open up the link I sent you on my BB's..{see above.}..scroll down, and see if the tech details match  the ones he sent you..maybe mine are a different amperex  BB?
If your hearing hums/noise/crackling...something is wrong.

I have them in for about an hour,in my music selection ,I keep 5 songs,that I listen to when I get new tubes....acoustic guitar,jazz,classical ,some opera with male/female singers..all are coming out just fine..keep in mind,I'm a newbie at this..so,take this with a grain of salt
My BB's sound great,even a little better than my Amperex PQ's...strong mids,strong bass,clear overall sound,with excellent detail.

I'd go over his website again..he has about 3 different types of Amperx Bugleboys..all varying in price/age.
Don't worry,he will make things right on your tubes....

Mike

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #2,955 of 8,735

Quote:
Specifically these:

They are enroute..

Mike

I have a pair of the BB with D getter from 1959 and several pairs of BB with Large O getter from 1960. They both sound very good in my chain (mb air > bifrost > Lyr > HE-500/HE-6). Female jazz vocals sound silky smooth and warm. I prefer these over my Orange Globe with small O getter from 1967 and A frame from 1970. To me, the older they are, the better they sound.

ckc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back