Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #2,806 of 8,735
Has he even checked to make sure it's not his amp? Or try a different pair of tubes? Unseated tubes, ground loops?

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #2,807 of 8,735
Just swapped them, I went from a set of 

GE
6BZ7/6BQ7A

to

Gold Lion Genalex
E88CC/6922

I definitely had a bad left tube (top one)

The HE-500 I was using sounded not that much better than the HE-5LE, everything sounds a lot more balanced and the hiss only starts at about 75% on the Lyr which I assume has to be normal given all that power and the low impedance of the cans.

Did I do good? Also how would I know if the tubes that shipped with my Lyr are biased...

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #2,808 of 8,735
Without a tube tester, you can't really tell, maybe the pair you used may not have been closely matched.

There is still hiss after you changed to the Genalex?

Quote:
Just swapped them, I went from a set of 

GE
6BZ7/6BQ7A

to

Gold Lion Genalex
E88CC/6922

I definitely had a bad left tube (top one)

The HE-500 I was using sounded not that much better than the HE-5LE, everything sounds a lot more balanced and the hiss only starts at about 75% on the Lyr which I assume has to be normal given all that power and the low impedance of the cans.

Did I do good? Also how would I know if the tubes that shipped with my Lyr are biased...

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #2,809 of 8,735

Quote:
Without a tube tester, you can't really tell, maybe the pair you used may not have been closely matched.

Oh I just visited Schiit, and all 3 of the pairs of tubes I have are from their stock so I can rest easy knowing they've been set up for the Lyr. These ones are a little more flat which should let me assess HE-500 vs HE-5LE performance, but thats for another thread. 

I need to order the GE ones, I actually liked the way those sounded better, but they were transmitting a lot of noise.. is this something I can contact Schiit about, or am I SOL without an original receipt?

I'm pretty pleased with their products so far, aesthetically they're pretty much perfect.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #2,810 of 8,735
Yea, that's about pretty much normal with the Lyr.

You fixed it! you must have done good.
Good question, I have no clue :/
Hmm biased tubes. Are you worried about crossover/distortion?

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #2,811 of 8,735

Quote:

There is still hiss after you changed to the Genalex?

Hiss is there, but much later on the gain knob with the Genalex.

The sound was more punchy with the GE, am I on the money with this observation? I think these Genalex tubes match the treble centric HE-5LE better though at let them extend as they normally would.

Man those Asgard owners have it so easy just plugging in and listening to their music without a care in the world. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #2,812 of 8,735
75% of the volume on the Lyr as in the volume knob is at 3 o'clock?

That would be pretty loud.

Quote:
Hiss is there, but much later on the gain knob with the Genalex.

The sound was more punchy with the GE, am I on the money with this observation? I think these Genalex tubes match the treble centric HE-5LE better though at let them extend as they normally would.

Man those Asgard owners have it so easy just plugging in and listening to their music without a care in the world. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #2,813 of 8,735

Quote:
75% of the volume on the Lyr as in the volume knob is at 3 o'clock?

That would be pretty loud.

Oh no I'm not deaf haha... that'd make me look bad with the whole cable business thing LOL

Thats just with nothing playing, and it's not computer noise since I turned off the DAC. We're good to go right?

I'm gonna order some replacement GE's from Schiit now, I feel that those were more towards my liking, I have some 6H23N-EB's too, I want to try those, but I'm not spending 10 minutes wiggling out those tubes again...

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #2,814 of 8,735
Chris, definitely order one of those Electro-Harmonix tube gloves from Amazon. With that glove, you can pull the tubes out in about 5 seconds.

Yeah, I was thinking about having you do a recable job for me, but if you are listening to music at 3 on the dial...umm, maybe not.
wink_face.gif

Good to have you here!

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #2,816 of 8,735

Quote:
Chris, definitely order one of those Electro-Harmonix tube gloves from Amazon. With that glove, you can pull the tubes out in about 5 seconds.

Yeah, I was thinking about having you do a recable job for me, but if you are listening to music at 3 on the dial...umm, maybe not.
wink_face.gif

Good to have you here!

Oh yeah for sure, hit me up. All you gotta do is wrap a coathanger in some bubblewrap, I mean space-age noise rejection material, and boom you've got some cables 
biggrin.gif

I actually just put two strips of tape on the tubes and lifted them out. You can really tell my engineering undergrad schooling is coming in handy..

Is there a conceivable way to get some blue LED's in this guy to illuminate the tubes without the use of science? I had a Crate Blue Voodoo amp with blue LED's and I was in love with that thing!

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #2,817 of 8,735
Mar 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2,819 of 8,735
Does anyone have any experience,or knowledge about this tube?

[COLOR=990099]2 pcs. SIEMENS E88CC 6922 CCa GOLD PIN NOS NIB VACUUM TUBES[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] (160762864253)[/COLOR]

I fell for this guys ad,on ebay yesterday..thinking it was a real CCa tube,after 3 emails to the seller,he kept insisting ,that it was an authentic CCa,well guess what..it ain't
So,know,I'm just trying to get some info on it,sq,good or bad
On a scale of 1-10,how would you rate it?

MIke

Mike, I apologize I was sick for a day and did not see you private message I messed up I kept seeing so many Lie rs on Ebay claiming that every E88CC were CCa I must have gotten CCa vision...
Well haha I found a pair of Simens&Halske CCa A-Frames that were in a separate tupperware container I forgot about so they are up for sale anyone wanting them will sell for 140.00 shipping included I am stocked up wtih CCa's for quite a while
the sonic signature of the A-Frams is similar to the regular CCa's they have a bit more Bass just not quiet as 3d Dimensional I will give you first Dibs on them Mike if ya don't want them then I will open them to the Forum..

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #2,820 of 8,735
Scary,
Not a problem..I contacted e-bay,and they had the whole issue settled in less than 24hrs..
The money is sitting in my paypal acount..getting itchy for..........................MORE TUBES!!!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back