Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #2,761 of 8,735
Picked up a "Matched Pair Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 tubes,Branded HP,Made in Holland,Tested" from eBay yesterday for $70. They showed the test #s but I don know what the heck they mean. I was just excited to tinker with my new amp. Fingers crossed.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #2,762 of 8,735
Are these your first tubes rolled?
Impressions would be great :)

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #2,764 of 8,735

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on these OldSkool! I just ordered 3 pairs of these. I also recently purchased some 1962 Bugle Boys (small getter) which were $10 bucks more than the 3 pairs of RCA's together! I hope I dig 'em more than you did.
beerchug.gif

I also ordered the "NOS MATCHED PAIR 6BQ7A RCA Tubes, USA - 1959" for little money. Very interesting how they sound.

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #2,765 of 8,735

Quote:
I also ordered the "NOS MATCHED PAIR 6BQ7A RCA Tubes, USA - 1959" for little money. Very interesting how they sound.

Cool. Those were the ones that I got (1959). Let me know what you think when u get a chance. I still haven't tried them yet. I've had the Lyr packed away for awhile but will be hooking it up as soon as my new office/listening room is set up. I just went on a tube buying bonanza that included '59 Mullards/Matsu****as/'62 Bugle Boys (small getter)/70's Siemens/GE "Smokies" and the above '59 RCA's. I'm excited to start rollin'. So far I've only heard the stock JJ's and the 6BZ7 GE's. GE's > JJ's.

beerchug.gif

J

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #2,766 of 8,735

Quote:
Cool. Those were the ones that I got (1959). Let me know what you think when u get a chance. I still haven't tried them yet. I've had the Lyr packed away for awhile but will be hooking it up as soon as my new office/listening room is set up. I just went on a tube buying bonanza that included '59 Mullards/Matsu****as/'62 Bugle Boys (small getter)/70's Siemens/GE "Smokies" and the above '59 RCA's. I'm excited to start rollin'. So far I've only heard the stock JJ's and the 6BZ7 GE's. GE's > JJ's.

beerchug.gif

J

Ha Ha. Funny how the s**t in Matsu****as got censored. How about "Matsucrapas"!

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #2,767 of 8,735
I'm glad to see a few of you bought some of those '59 RCA 6BQ7A's. Good tube for the price and I hope they sound as good in your rig as they do in mine. They do have a slight "brightness" that smooths out around 80 hours...at least that's what I found. The real star is the soundstage, it's wide and almost "3D-like". Anyway, I'm anxious to hear what the rest of you think about them.

Also, I can't take the credit for discovering the 6BQ7A!  Jamato8 recommended them a couple times much earlier in this thread, and I certainly trust his ears. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread#post_7411337

Mar 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2,768 of 8,735
I've had my Schiit Lyr for a week now.  I bought it to power my AKG K702s.  I bought it because I've been ready about how hard the K702s are to drive.  So, I thought for sure a highly recommended dedicated amp would be better than the headphone output on my Marantz SR6005.  Well, try as I might I can't hear one bit of difference… and I mean, I WANT to hear a difference… I WANT to want this amp.  

I've tested all types of music, all on vinyl: from a great pressing of Dusty In Memphis (45rpm 200 gram version), to The Black Keys Brothers, to The Clash London Calling, to Miles Davis Kind of Blue (another great pressing), to Willie Nelson Red Headed Stranger and I don't hear a thing different.

[size=medium] I don't mean they sound similar to me… they sound 100% identical.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I hear differences in things… I'm not deaf, I promise.   I bought my K702's to replace my Sennheiser HD-595s and the difference was immediately noticeable.  When I A/B high res 192/24 files to their vinyl versions, I can hear the differences.  When I bought my Marantz I could hear the differences to the other receivers I tested (on the same speakers).  So, I know what differences sound like.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] So really, I'm baffled as to why I hear virtually no difference between my Marantz headphone out and the Lyr.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I guess my last hope could be different tubes.  I was hoping the Lyr would provide a bit more bass that the Marantz… would a different tube do the trick?  Or, if I can't hear the difference now, a tube isn't going to do much?  My Lyr has the 6BZ7s.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] As an FYI, here are the Marantz specs I received from their support (since that info can't be found anywhere in the manual):[/size]
[size=medium] Frequency response: 10 Hz~100 kHz,  +1, –3 dB (mode DIRECT) 

Max voltage output: 1V at 16 ohms, 2V at 32 ohms

Output impedance: under 500 ohms
[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Thanks.[/size]

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #2,769 of 8,735
I've had my Schiit Lyr for a week now.  I bought it to power my AKG K702s.  I bought it because I've been ready about how hard the K702s are to drive.  So, I thought for sure a highly recommended dedicated amp would be better than the headphone output on my Marantz SR6005.  Well, try as I might I can't hear one bit of difference… and I mean, I WANT to hear a difference… I WANT to want this amp.  

I've tested all types of music, all on vinyl: from a great pressing of Dusty In Memphis (45rpm 200 gram version), to The Black Keys Brothers, to The Clash London Calling, to Miles Davis Kind of Blue (another great pressing), to Willie Nelson Red Headed Stranger and I don't hear a thing different.

[size=medium] I don't mean they sound similar to me… they sound 100% identical.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I hear differences in things… I'm not deaf, I promise.   I bought my K702's to replace my Sennheiser HD-595s and the difference was immediately noticeable.  When I A/B high res 192/24 files to their vinyl versions, I can hear the differences.  When I bought my Marantz I could hear the differences to the other receivers I tested (on the same speakers).  So, I know what differences sound like.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] So really, I'm baffled as to why I hear virtually no difference between my Marantz headphone out and the Lyr.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I guess my last hope could be different tubes.  I was hoping the Lyr would provide a bit more bass that the Marantz… would a different tube do the trick?  Or, if I can't hear the difference now, a tube isn't going to do much?  My Lyr has the 6BZ7s.[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] As an FYI, here are the Marantz specs I received from their support (since that info can't be found anywhere in the manual):[/size]
[size=medium] Frequency response: 10 Hz~100 kHz,  +1, –3 dB (mode DIRECT) 

Max voltage output: 1V at 16 ohms, 2V at 32 ohms

Output impedance: under 500 ohms
[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] Thanks.[/size]

The Lyr was the first tube amp I bought. When I First listened to it I was concerned as well because the jj's that came with the amp had it sounding like a strange ss amp imo. The good news is the Lyr is quite responsive to tube rolling and can be taylored to what sound your looking for. I recommend reading through this thread to find a pair that fits what characteristics your looking for. Also member mister rodgers has a site http://vintageaudiotubes.com/ that I've found to be accurate and helpful.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #2,770 of 8,735
While I agree the tube rolling can/will completely change the sound sig of your setup. I do believe he should be able to hear some difference with the Lyr from the Marantz.  Did you allow enough time for your current tubes to burn in?

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #2,771 of 8,735
Picked up a "Matched Pair Amperex 6DJ8 / ECC88 tubes,Branded HP,Made in Holland,Tested" from eBay yesterday for $70. They showed the test #s but I don know what the heck they mean. I was just excited to tinker with my new amp. Fingers crossed.

Got the tubes today and I can certainly tell the difference from the stock 6BZ7s. The highs are the biggest difference. They're more pronounced and give the music a little more dimmension but maybe at the cost of being slightly brash.

Vocals are more pronounced too but not as much as the highs. They also feel a little tighter.

The lows are not quite as dominent as they were but not to a huge degree.

I don't think I'll necessarily like them for all music. I'll have to give them more time and then compare back to the 6BZ7s.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #2,772 of 8,735
Well, my RCA's and Matsu's arrived safely..  Quick impressions...

The RCA's seem to be more defined than the Matsu's.  They sound more 3D, (as if the background is a little more black and sounds project a bit more distinctly).  The Matsu's seem to be more intimate, vocals are more in your face.  Other than that, subtle differences at best.  I need more time to compare them to the GE's, but neither blow them completely out of the water at this point.  The RCA's will stay in for now and I'll put some more time on them.  They are easily worth recommending for their price and I like what I'm hearing so far. 

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #2,773 of 8,735
@1957GoldTop - those Marantz specs, especially the output impedance (Zout<500 ohms could mean a lot of things!), suggest there should be major differences in power delivery compared to Lyr. Don't know the impedance of the K702 but if it's much less than that of the Marantz the sound will be quite colored as a result - e.g. would explain less and flabby bass.

The stock GE tubes are quite good but don't reveal the Lyr at its best.

Speaking of which...

@JoeyRusso - I found the Matsu's profoundly different (and better!) from the GEs. They were the first tube to show me the Lyr's capability. Assuming it's not all down to differences in our hearing, you may find the gap widens considerably with a little more time. Agree they are more intimate. A lot more bass/lower mid presence and quality as well in my case. Not familiar with the RCAs.

Look forward to your further impressions as they develop.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #2,774 of 8,735
Quote:
Well, my RCA's and Matsu's arrived safely..  Quick impressions...

The RCA's seem to be more defined than the Matsu's.  They sound more 3D, (as if the background is a little more black and sounds project a bit more distinctly).  The Matsu's seem to be more intimate, vocals are more in your face.  Other than that, subtle differences at best.  I need more time to compare them to the GE's, but neither blow them completely out of the water at this point.  The RCA's will stay in for now and I'll put some more time on them.  They are easily worth recommending for their price and I like what I'm hearing so far. 

Let them burn in a bit...the sound will improve over time for both sets.
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #2,775 of 8,735
I have a general tube question. Is it uncommon for a halo getter to be bent down? Would this be considered a defect? I just received a pair of '59 Mullards and the getter is clearly bent (tilting) down. Other than that they are in really good shape with a near perfect silkscreen. I bought them as NOS off of eBay and they arrived in what appear to be original Mullard boxes. Makes me want to buy a tube tester. I know a lot of people on this thread have had quite a bit of experience purchasing tubes on eBay and I'm guessing most of you just have to take people at their word, in terms of test levels, and just verify that they work in the amp. It would be nice if there were some kind of local service where one could have their tubes tested considering how costly some of them can be. 

beerchug.gif

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back