Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2,746 of 8,735
Lorenz > CCa's....interesting
No matter, they are both impossibly hard to track down. Should have gotten into rolling much earlier. 

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #2,748 of 8,735
With my limited audiophile vocabulary, sure.
I will start with the 93's as I much prefer them and can discern their sound qualities.
I found them to be warm, especially in the midranges. As far as something like soundstage
I feel this is the biggest quality I can hear. It just felt big and really there. I don't think I can really tell a difference within bass,LCD-2's just ruin that for me. They are awesome and nothing changed IMO.
As far the 92's I honestly could not hear one freaking difference between them and my stock GE 6B27. I didn't honestly give it much time of "burn in" as I was pretty pissed "upgrade"
I may go back and revise this crappy review of mine once I start to really develop a full sense of different aspects to the music. I know I enjoy it very much, will try to improve the ears.

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2,749 of 8,735
Hey, they're your impressions, and that's what counts...you did just fine.  I sorta felt the same way with the 2492s myself, that's why I sold them off a while ago.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #2,750 of 8,735
Oh, and I know I've head many comment on 92's having a 3-dimensional field.With the 93's I can easily pick out different instruments and vocal ranges. I really very enveloped in the music. I don't know if other's have the  same experience as I do, or perhaps, they can better describe things I can't articulate. Hope I helped...in some way :)

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #2,751 of 8,735
Oh, and I know I've head many comment on 92's having a 3-dimensional field.With the 93's I can easily pick out different instruments and vocal ranges. I really very enveloped in the music. I don't know if other's have the  same experience as I do, or perhaps, they can better describe things I can't articulate. Hope I helped...in some way :)

Thanks you did help, I was initially trying to decide between the 92,93 and the 7308 mullard for my lcd2r1. The 7308 tube type is known for a relaxed highend so I didn't think it would compliment the lcd2 well. So it was between the 92&93, I went for the 93. So I feel better with my purchase now.

Btw your ears are fine, 93 sounds the same as you described for my lcd2s

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #2,752 of 8,735
Call me tentative then. No longer watching from a far. And thanks for encouragement!

Beside the illusive CCa's and Lorenz. Are the Mullards a majority consensus for being the best tube LCD's? I need to quit school and just get 2 full time jobs to support tube expenditure.

Do you guys find the Bugel Boys to be meh? 

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #2,753 of 8,735
I've just gone back to the Lorenz tubes after a few weeks with the Bugles. I like the Bugles, but they lose out to the Stuttgarts in treble extension, ambiance, instrument separation, and imaging. The Bugles are far from "meh" though. I actually find them easier to listen to than the Stuttgarts (as nice as these tubes are). The Bugles are smoother in the top end imo, with more body in the mid range as well. The Lorenz can sound a bit thin and tizzy depending on the recording (crappy indie). Bass is more refined through the Lorenz though. Of course, this is imho, with the components I have on hand and according to my preferences... YMMV!

edit: thin and tizzy is a gross over exaggeration. What I wanted to convey was that I generally prefer a fuller (perhaps more coloured) sound. The presentation through the Bugles is less coherent (individual elements aren't as well defined), but it may very well be more forgiving of lesser recordings than the Stuttgarts.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #2,754 of 8,735
Have you heard the Mullard 93's, If so how do they compare to the Bugles? 

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #2,755 of 8,735
I have the GE 6BZ7 in my Lyr. I had someone recommend Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7s to me, but they were beaucoup dinky dao $$$. I only got my Lyr a week ago and I don't want to start dropping bone$ for tubes just yet.

At thetubestore.com I spotted the Tung-Sol 12AX7 at $15 each and the Preferred Series 7025-S (a variation of the 12AX7? commissioned by thetubestore.com) for $24 each... and the store rated them as being pretty good. So, I had a couple of questions.

http://thetubestore.com/tungsol12ax7.html
http://thetubestore.com/preferred7025.html

First, how can I tell if these tubes will work for a headphone amp? The site says that they will work in preamps... which the Lyr can act as. I've seen the tube discussed in guitar preamp scenarios but not headphone amps.

Second, has anyone heard these tubes on the Lyr or other amp? I like warmth, distinct mids and vocals. Any boost to 3D sound would be great too.

Thanks

Edit: Went to the Shiit site and they said to feel free to substitute any of the follow tube types: 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 6BZ7, CV2492, CV2493, or 6N1P. Does this mean "no" to anything but?

Mar 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #2,756 of 8,735
Quote:
I have the GE 6BZ7 in my Lyr. I had someone recommend Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7s to me, but they were beaucoup dinky dao $$$. I only got my Lyr a week ago and I don't want to start dropping bone$ for tubes just yet.

At thetubestore.com I spotted the Tung-Sol 12AX7 at $15 each and the Preferred Series 7025-S (a variation of the 12AX7? commissioned by thetubestore.com) for $24 each... and the store rated them as being pretty good. So, I had a couple of questions.

http://thetubestore.com/tungsol12ax7.html
http://thetubestore.com/preferred7025.html

First, how can I tell if these tubes will work for a headphone amp? The site says that they will work in preamps... which the Lyr can act as. I've seen the tube discussed in guitar preamp scenarios but not headphone amps.

Second, has anyone heard these tubes on the Lyr or other amp? I like warmth, distinct mids and vocals. Any boost to 3D sound would be great too.

Thanks

Edit: Went to the Shiit site and they said to feel free to substitute any of the follow tube types: 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 6BZ7, CV2492, CV2493, or 6N1P. Does this mean "no" to anything but?

Sorry, 12AX7s are not compatible with the Lyr.  They are another family of tubes entirely.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #2,757 of 8,735

Quote:
I think the 6BQ7A's fit the bill, and they are also very affordable as well. I just bought 5 pair of RCA 6BQ7A (black plate) tubes from 1959, all matched pairs, for $15/pair. In my audio chain, they sound open, detailed, and have a nice, wide soundstage.

I'm not affiliated with this seller, don't know him, but will highly recommend him due to three flawless transactions in the last month.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220963135646

Personally, I like these 6BQ7A tubes A LOT, and much prefer them to some Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boys (small getter) I recently bought!

YMMV.

Well, I tried to avoid this as long as possible (to save my wallet and sanity) but I went ahead and ordered the RCA's and a pair of Matsu's as well.  So begins another journey, time to start rolling...

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #2,759 of 8,735

Quote:
Well, I tried to avoid this as long as possible (to save my wallet and sanity) but I went ahead and ordered the RCA's and a pair of Matsu's as well.  So begins another journey, time to start rolling...

Please let us know how you like the Matsu's :)

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #2,760 of 8,735
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back