Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #2,716 of 8,735
Mikiphile I think my k701s work great with the Lyr, it pushes them nicely. I bought a pair of Mullards because back somewhere in this thread someone said if you hear the 701s with mullard tubes rolled you would pee yourself. Mind you I didn't have to rush to the bathroom due to listening to the combo, but they were right it's a good pairing. The Mullard is on the warmer side but I dig that with the 701, also they have some air on the high but it's not enough that makes the bright nature of the 701 unbearable. I have the mullard cv2493 but it's easier to find and cheaper to get the cv2492 (if I remember correctly the guy with the bladder problem was using this tube). Hope this helps,remember this is imo,ymmv and the like..

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #2,717 of 8,735
I have a pair of Mullard CV2492's, like others I found them to have lush mids and a solid bottom end. They also smooth out the highs and make them less fatiguing than the stock JJ's while still having far better detail retrieval in the lows, mids, and highs.

Imo you can't go wrong with them and a lightly used pair is pretty cheap on tubemonger. 

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #2,718 of 8,735
hey guys, i have read through this forum somewhat, but due to its enormity I'm just going to ask instead of continuing to search. 

My question is this:

I have the BiFrost/Lyr combination with both Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. and HE-500. I currently use the stock GE 6BZ7 tubes from Schiit. 

What tubes can I switch to, to:
  1. open soundstage up
  2. brighten treble
  3. as well as increase transparency?

Mar 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #2,719 of 8,735

Quote:
Mikiphile I think my k701s work great with the Lyr, it pushes them nicely. I bought a pair of Mullards because back somewhere in this thread someone said if you hear the 701s with mullard tubes rolled you would pee yourself. Mind you I didn't have to rush to the bathroom due to listening to the combo, but they were right it's a good pairing. The Mullard is on the warmer side but I dig that with the 701, also they have some air on the high but it's not enough that makes the bright nature of the 701 unbearable. I have the mullard cv2493 but it's easier to find and cheaper to get the cv2492 (if I remember correctly the guy with the bladder problem was using this tube). Hope this helps,remember this is imo,ymmv and the like..

Seems like a nice solution. However, now i need to fix my bladder problem. I got it after seeing the prices.. especially the more expensive one :p

What about the Valhalla tubes? Since the Mullard are way out of my budget. First I decided to add an extra 100 on the DAC, now on the amp.. and tubes another 200??? its a lot.

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #2,720 of 8,735

The valvo E88CC have the most open sound stage of any tubes I've personally tried, but I haven't tried some of the really top tier stuff yet.

Quote:
hey guys, i have read through this forum somewhat, but due to its enormity I'm just going to ask instead of continuing to search. 

My question is this:

I have the BiFrost/Lyr combination with both Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. and HE-500. I currently use the stock GE 6BZ7 tubes from Schiit. 

1. open soundstage up
  2. brighten treble

Mar 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #2,721 of 8,735

Seems like a nice solution. However, now i need to fix my bladder problem. I got it after seeing the prices.. especially the more expensive one :p

What about the Valhalla tubes? Since the Mullard are way out of my budget. First I decided to add an extra 100 on the DAC, now on the amp.. and tubes another 200??? its a lot.

Yeah tubes can get expensive fast. You can get Mullards for under 200 though, Cv2492 can go for 100-120 a pair. The cv(common valve) were a high quality tube for British military. There are other 6dj8 or 6922 Mullards that might fit your budget better.
I would just check out the stock tubes that comes with the Lyr If you hadn't got the amp yet, you might like them fine. Mine came with the JJ, which I wouldn't recommend. However there are folks on here who really like the GE or the 6n1p

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #2,722 of 8,735

Quote:
Yeah tubes can get expensive fast. You can get Mullards for under 200 though, Cv2492 can go for 100-120 a pair. The cv(common valve) were a high quality tube for British military. There are other 6dj8 or 6922 Mullards that might fit your budget better.
I would just check out the stock tubes that comes with the Lyr If you hadn't got the amp yet, you might like them fine. Mine came with the JJ, which I wouldn't recommend. However there are folks on here who really like the GE or the 6n1p

Yeap, i think i will go for the 6n1p (valhalla) tubes for starters. Then maybe try something else. 

PS: Just noticed your pic.. does your dog approve the Mullards? 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Maybe you should consult it. It has better hearing then all of us eccentric headfiers.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #2,723 of 8,735
Yeap, i think i will go for the 6n1p (valhalla) tubes for starters. Then maybe try something else. 

PS: Just noticed your pic.. does your dog approve the Mullards? 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Maybe you should consult it. It has better hearing then all of us eccentric headfiers.

Purdy is so a.d.d it's kinda funny to think of him doing some critical listening, maybe if there was a chicken stick involved.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #2,724 of 8,735
I think the 6BQ7A's fit the bill, and they are also very affordable as well. I just bought 5 pair of RCA 6BQ7A (black plate) tubes from 1959, all matched pairs, for $15/pair. In my audio chain, they sound open, detailed, and have a nice, wide soundstage.

I'm not affiliated with this seller, don't know him, but will highly recommend him due to three flawless transactions in the last month.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220963135646

Personally, I like these 6BQ7A tubes A LOT, and much prefer them to some Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boys (small getter) I recently bought!

YMMV.

Quote:

My question is this:

1. open soundstage up
  2. brighten treble

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #2,725 of 8,735
The Amperex Orange Globes meet most of your criteria, but I'm not sure if they do so exactly.  Perhaps other members can confirm.  

They are holographic, but I am not sure if this translates to opening up the soundstage.

They are very transparent, however, I do not think they "brighten" the treble very much.  It is lush tube that maintains sparkle through clarity... but I'm not sure if this is the same effect as brightening... probably not.  Still, great tubes for ~$30-40/pair.

Quote:

My question is this:

1. open soundstage up
  2. brighten treble

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #2,726 of 8,735
I understand that this will be completely subjective, but nevertheless still interesting to people in the same position as me.

I currently have the Matsu****a 6922s in the Lyr and was wondering if anyone can recommend any other tubes that can top it, aside from the Lorenz.
It's hard for me to imagine it can get any better, the detail in the low end is just astounding compared to the stock 6BZ7. Made me grin like an idiot the first time I heard it after leaving it to burn in. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #2,727 of 8,735
Quote:
I understand that this will be completely subjective, but nevertheless still interesting to people in the same position as me.

I currently have the Matsu****a 6922s in the Lyr and was wondering if anyone can recommend any other tubes that can top it, aside from the Lorenz.
It's hard for me to imagine it can get any better, the detail in the low end is just astounding compared to the stock 6BZ7. Made me grin like an idiot the first time I heard it after leaving it to burn in. 

It's a little hard to believe, but these sound pretty good:

http://www.tubemonger.com/MP_MINT_NOS_Tungsram_PCC88_Jan_Feb_MAR1971_Hungary_p/756.htm

They are a little harsh at first, but they have a great bottom end and detailed top end.  I find myself coming back to them often, even though I have the Matsu 6922s as well.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #2,728 of 8,735
Are there any tubes that sound BAD in the Lyr?  We're all rolling to find the best to our ears with our setup, but I don't recall anyone saying a particular pair would be better used for a wind chime..

Though I have to say the stock JJ's were close to that for me.  SO MUCH hiss (leading me to think I made a mistake in the purchase)!

Mar 7, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #2,729 of 8,735
I bought Siemens & Halske (RCA labeled) 60's NOS E188CC's from Misterrogers. First thank you for this amazing tubes!
Before getting these tubes my favourite were the 6N23P-EV. But the E188CC is a class above them. I heared yesterday far into the night with my LCD2. So detail, so clean, superb imagine. I'm very happy with my new tubes.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #2,730 of 8,735
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back