Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #2,641 of 8,735

Quote:
I'm sorta new here also. I know what you mean about the length of this thread, took me a few nights after work to finish it...but glad I did.

IMO, I suggest starting with the GE 6BZ7 and 6N1P matched pairs from Schiit. Both will arrive tested and closely matched.

Of those two, the 6BZ7 tubes sounded smoother to me and I just found a few made by Sylvania for $3 each on ebay. Hope to check them out this weekend as I know ebay can be hit or miss.

As for better "high-end" tubes? Someone else will need to chime in, as I haven't worked my way up the ladder yet.
smile.gif

Do you have any more impressions of the 6BZ7 vs 6N1P? Which do you prefer for your HD650?

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #2,644 of 8,735
Okay, since I can't really afford tube rolling (I'm broke lol), I'll go 'head and try the 6BZ7, and later, if I get some cash, the 23's.
Thank you guys for contributing to this thread!

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #2,645 of 8,735

Quote:

Do you have any more impressions of the 6BZ7 vs 6N1P? Which do you prefer for your HD650?

I like them both...but right now, I prefer the 6BZ7s. Like ZorgDK said, the highs are pretty extended on the 6N1Ps and some may find the treble to be harsh or piercing. With the 6BZ7s, I find that the bass is deep and tight, mids are smooth and highs are...I don't know...just right for my ears. The fact that we are talking about $3 to $10 tubes sounding this good is a bonus.

Please keep in mind my HD650s have a silver cable and no foam. YMMV.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #2,646 of 8,735
Thanks. I guess they are relatively inexpensive compared to some of the tubes mentioned here, so I think I'll grab a pair when I eventually get a Bifrost and see how they do with the LCD-2 r1. For me a bit more treble on the LCD-2 wouldn't be a bad thing.

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #2,647 of 8,735

Quote:
Thanks. I guess they are relatively inexpensive compared to some of the tubes mentioned here, so I think I'll grab a pair when I eventually get a Bifrost and see how they do with the LCD-2 r1. For me a bit more treble on the LCD-2 wouldn't be a bad thing.

Smooth, extended treble is precisely what the Bifrost gives you. A bit too tilted in that direction with the rev.2 for my preference (which I counteract with warmer tubes), but it may be a perfect match for the rev.1.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #2,648 of 8,735
Heya,

i´m enjoying my Mats* Nationals right now. Very nice tubes indeed. Thanks to *mrrogers* for an excellent transaction. My Bifrost will arrive tomorrow, too. Can´t wait to check out the Lyr/ Bifrost combination...

Cheers!

perfect-pitch

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #2,649 of 8,735
^ your gonna love it, I know I did ! 

-M

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #2,651 of 8,735
Quote:
Heya,

i´m enjoying my Mats* Nationals right now. Very nice tubes indeed. Thanks to *mrrogers* for an excellent transaction. My Bifrost will arrive tomorrow, too. Can´t wait to check out the Lyr/ Bifrost combination...

Cheers!

perfect-pitch

I think you will like it a lot! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #2,652 of 8,735
Bifrost is indeed a good match with the LCD2 rev 1. I can imagine its treble lift might be a little much for rev 2, as olor1n reports. 

Re: 6N1P, reports of "piercing highs" probably match my experience - "hot" and "brash" were my words straight from the audiophile handbook! Again, with rev 1.

Together they might be a bit much. But shamrock, as always YMMV. If you try them, let us know how they go...

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2,653 of 8,735
I know that my opinion varies from the general consensus on the Schiit matched 6N1P tubes.  I run the Lyr/Bifrost and HE6 cans and really like the sound of the 6N1P's.  I use any of three tube sets rolled through my home rig.  The 6N1P, The amperex orange globes or the Lorenz PCC88.   I have another 20 different tube sets approx including the 6BZ7 made by sylvania, RCA and some others and I really dont think much of them in my rig.  It is either a case of different sound signature preferences or rig components....

If they are a cheap tube then jump in and give them a go.  When a lot of the tubes cost less than $20 each then why not have some fun?  Who knows what you may uncover.

basshead.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #2,654 of 8,735
Hi,

I'm going to check out a local vintage radio repair shop after work. The owner said he's got many vintage tubes, new and old. What should I be looking for? I wrote down all the model numbers that will work for our Lyr but I have no idea what is best. From what I've been reading over the last few days on this thread, it seems the vintage 1950s - 1960s are best? How about origin? Are the ones from Europe better vs. American made?

Thanks,
ckc

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #2,655 of 8,735
Are you using the LCD-2s? Can you comment on the sound using the Matsu?

Quote:
Heya,

Cheers!

perfect-pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back