Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #2,627 of 8,735
Lol. Sorry to have encroached on your domain. Let's all forget that people have individual preferences and there are wide variances in system configurations, let alone in the tubes themselves. I sometimes forget dissenting views are frowned upon here and everyone must toe the line like sheep.

Dude I was just giving you a hard time hahah my dry sense of humour does not always show haha I know that you know everyone's preference is different i just had not given you any Scccchhhhiiiittt lately :)

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2,629 of 8,735
Hey scary thanks for your feedback on my ?s. My preference on orange globes vs Lorenz happens to be opposite of olor1n. It just comes down to preference. I'm sure they sound great on his gear to him, otherwise why write about it. We need some variety on a tube rolling thread.

haha yeah I surely have not been around much haha I have a dry sense of humor and like to joke a lot.. haha I completely understand everyone's signal chain is different audio frequencies are interpreted different .. haha Godspeed

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #2,631 of 8,735

Quote:
^ Thanks ddod. In fairness, I stated I preferred the Orange Globes in all iterations of my setup. That was before I replaced my dac with the Bifrost. I have yet to roll the Lorenz in this chain. My bias for the Amperex could very well shift to the Stuttgart.

I usually favour a warm textured sound (yes, even at the expense of transparency), so I may have to look at some Mullards or other tubes regarded as warm with extra body and weight to counteract the Bifrost's polite signature. The Orange Globes get me there partway but I want slightly better cohesion and refinement.

Ok that makes more sense to me now, if your priority is warmth then I guess the Lorenz wouldn't be your go to. The orange globes are the warmest pair I own, my main beef with them was lack of detail.  I think you might like the mullard, the ones I mentioned a few posts back are not as warm as the amperex however it is more detailed and refined, IMO 

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #2,632 of 8,735
Well I got the Lorenz and the Orange Globe and for whatever reason I cant put my finger on the Orange Globes have become a mainstay. Its possible my ears are broken or backwards IDK. I love them both though. Part of me uses the Orange Globe because they are more replaceable lol but Ive come to almost prefer them anyhow.

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #2,633 of 8,735
^ Are your Orange Globes O getters? Mine are '75 A-frames. Joe's Tube Lore perfectly describes the difference I hear between these and the Bugle Boys. The A-frames are meant to be less noisy and they certainly exhibit less hum than the other tubes I have on hand. I wonder if the O getter Globes are closer to the Bugles in upper end ambience and transparency but with the same warmth and low end as the A-frames.

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #2,634 of 8,735

Quote:
^ Are your Orange Globes O getters? Mine are '75 A-frames. Joe's Tube Lore perfectly describes the difference I hear between these and the Bugle Boys. The A-frames are meant to be less noisy and they certainly exhibit less hum than the other tubes I have on hand. I wonder if the O getter Globes are closer to the Bugles in upper end ambience and transparency but with the same warmth and low end as the A-frames.

Not sure, do you have a pic of the A frame architecture? They look A framish to me but I have no clue. I listen and like or listen and don't like. Don't research or understand much about tubes. This is where I got them and what they look like.
http://vintageaudiotubes.com/?p=1304

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2,635 of 8,735
Has anyone had any bad experiences with Schiit's stock 6BZ7? I've been burning these stock tubes for at least 200 hours already and periodically get crackling noises in either left/right channels. The volume of these crackles have diminished since the start, but are still somewhat annoying when they happen, especially at lower volumes.

Have anyone else experienced this? Are they because the Schiit tubes are of low quality? Will higher quality tubes solve any crackling?

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #2,636 of 8,735
Well, the Schiit 6bz7 are NOS so it can happen. My first pair rustled like leaves right away and they just sent me a new pair. Your pins could just be dirty too.

-M 

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #2,637 of 8,735
Funny, tubes on the Schiit site state they will last typically 5.000 hours.

Yes they can go anytime, but if treated well they can last thousands of hours. Been there done that.

Alot depends on the circuitry and how hard they are driven, the biasing, turn on and off timings etc.

Tube are a mechanical device. If you knock them around, drop them etc or hurt the mechanincal parts inside, like in a light bulb
they wont take the beating lightly....

These tubes were in hundreds of thousands of appliances and worked well for years....

Dont muck with then when there still hot or really warm....let them cool down completley before removing etc...

Over and Out...

Alex

Note: 6BZ7's I have are 100 hrs or so now...no problems.

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #2,638 of 8,735
Thanks for the replies. I've very much a novice so this helps immensely. 

I understand that the sonic effects of cables are highly contentious and rather minimal, at least, to non-believers. In comparison, would a good pair of tubes make a significant, very very discernable, and less contestable difference in sound quality?

As well, could anyone comment on the Matsush*ta E88CC 6922 and how they sound with the LCD-2r2s? I'm eyeing it as an upgrade to Schiit's 6BZ7

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #2,639 of 8,735
Hey guys, I'm a late comer to this thread, and I am too lazy to read all 176 pages' worth of texts lol (I gave up at 34).
So far, what are the best recommended tubes for HD650? I listen to all genres btw (except heavy metal).
Also, if possible, can you guys give me some links to where I can buy them?
Or, even better, if anyone has a pair of matched tubes (that sounds good) they want to offer me, that also works as well :)
Thank you!

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #2,640 of 8,735
I'm sorta new here also. I know what you mean about the length of this thread, took me a few nights after work to finish it...but glad I did.

IMO, I suggest starting with the GE 6BZ7 and 6N1P matched pairs from Schiit. Both will arrive tested and closely matched.

Of those two, the 6BZ7 tubes sounded smoother to me and I just found a few made by Sylvania for $3 each on ebay. Hope to check them out this weekend as I know ebay can be hit or miss.

As for better "high-end" tubes? Someone else will need to chime in, as I haven't worked my way up the ladder yet.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back