Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2,476 of 8,735
I think you're experiencing the same thing I've been through before I took a peak inside this tube rolling thread. Lyr was my first tube amp too - technically it's a hybrid amp, but first experience with tubes anyway - and I was very satisfied with its sound that I really didn't care about tube rolling at first (btw I used stock 6BZ7 tubes, which I still think are decent tubes especially if you're driving orthos like Audez'e or Hifiman).

But a lot of people here have claimed that tube rolling drastically changes the sound of Lyr, and if tube rolling is done right one can enjoy great benefit/returns at a relatively minimal cost (since tubes aren't really that expensive anyway, at least when it comes to Lyr-compatible 9-pin tubes). Most tubes people recommend here are around can be bought at Tubemonger for around $50 per tube, so expect about $100 for a pair.

Even if you think that's still expensive, think of it this way; the Lyr, whether you agree with me or not, is one of the best headphone amps out there, and it definitely outperforms most other amps in its price range. Sure there are headphone amps that may be better than the Lyr (e.g. Pinnacle, Balancing Act, Liquid Fire, etc.), but expect to pay a lot, and I mean LOT, for them.

So you've already saved a lot of money and did yourself a great favor by purchasing the Lyr. But what if you can boost its performance to the levels of even superior amps at a minor fractional cost of the Lyr? Or customize the Lyr's sound with your own favorite colors? In my opinion, not tube rolling with the Lyr is like missing out all the fun everyone's enjoying.

Of course, the question is how to get it done right. I can't give a definite answer to that because I haven't had much experience myself, and each of us has our own tastes when it comes to music. But I don't think you can go wrong by starting out with what many Head-fi'ers here have recommended and approved in general. In fact, some members of this thread have been extremely helpful in helping me decide and buy decent tubes. I listen to a wide genre of music like you do (including anime OST), but I guess that's what makes tube rolling even more fun. :)

Quote:
I hope to get the Lyr soon, it SHOULD be after the back order is cleared up, I am getting a BiFrost with it... I gone through a bit of this thread and really makes me wonder what to do.

I am guessing I should chose the 6BZ7 when I order?

After I do that what you be an INEXPENSIVE tube to make it sound better or different in a way I can not help but notice, I REALIZE better is a subjective thing. I can't pay $90 a tube etc.
for some of the ones I have seen to be claimed as awesome! They maybe but $180 for a pair of tubes just can not happen for me!

I listen from Progressive Rock to Anime OSTs to Classical. I AM really ALL over the map. I have read about so many tubes
I get really confused, I think I find one then I see another and I am back at square one. I have NEVER owned a TUBE anything!
You can see my headphones in my list.

I am a TOTAL Newb at this so ease me into it. I have been SS my whole life...

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2,477 of 8,735
I think the Matsu' 6922/E88CC are very good, especially for the price.

Are they your sound though? There are some impressions in the last few pages from MMayer, HK_Sends (IIRC) et al. MacedonianHero was first to point them out, a few months ago.

IIRC they're $40 each at tube monger - take 10% off that as they're running a discount until Dec 31.

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #2,478 of 8,735
The Mullard CV2492's on tubemonger are great tubes. Very rich and musical while still having way more clarity than the stock tubes. Unfortunately all the NOS ones are gone. But they still have used ones that test right about NOS scores. 75 bucks a pair if memory serves. 

Only possible downside is that I think the Mullards have a tendency to be a little noisy with the Lyr. Mine weren't at first, but one has developed a very quiet hum, only noticeable when no music is playing, but it is there. (Hoping the Rx dampers will fix that)

Dec 9, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #2,479 of 8,735

Quote:

Only possible downside is that I think the Mullards have a tendency to be a little noisy with the Lyr. Mine weren't at first, but one has developed a very quiet hum, only noticeable when no music is playing, but it is there. (Hoping the Rx dampers will fix that)

Let us know if the dampers fix it plz :p

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #2,480 of 8,735
Will do! They are supposed to be here tomorrow. I really hope the Rx dampers fix it, if not... Oh well, the tubes still sound great. But I'd being lying if I said the hum doesn't bother me at all :p

I may try some of the used Mullards to see if they have the same issue, plus I want backups :D

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #2,481 of 8,735
Kimba.....

The 6BZ7's from Schitt are pretty good and have the highest gain...and have several sets with different ratings...all sound very nice and more than musical.

The Schiit 6N1P's that Schitt is shipping now in matched pairs are absolutlely fantastic...I am not a high dollar tube roller but have really liked what these $20 a PAIR tubes have done to the sound...with the Lyr and my LCD 2's. Just got a second set ..have not been able to figure out who, when and where these are made....All they have is the 6N1P EV and an OTK trangle label....even Jason didnt know where they are made just that they come from a reliable supplier.....

Must be a trade secret here...lol.

Right now I am very content with the 6N1Ps from Schiit and wouldnt hesitate to use these for any type of music. Very 3 dimensional and airy.....

Good luck, have fun!

Alex

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #2,482 of 8,735
SOOO if i GET it, all the tubes from this page will fit? SOME are really up there at $189.99 a tube....

http://www.tubedepot.com/69226dj8.html   

Pick the wrong one and NOT like it OWWIE.... Some are really cheap too... Makes me Wonder at least...
Thanks for all the help :) I am sure I will pick something interesting! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #2,483 of 8,735
Yes, all those tubes will work. I've been eyeing those Telefunkens for ages, but I can't justify spending 400 bucks on tubes, especially since that would pay for half a DAC. Someday though...*starts to daydream*

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #2,484 of 8,735
The difference between mica and shields can be seen from the following examples.

Mica refers to the horizontal plates.

E.g. of 2 or Double Mica below :- You can see 2 horizonal plates.

vs. Triple Mica. You can see 3 horizontal plates below :-

Shields refers to the vertical plates.

This is the vertical "Shield" between the 2 triode sections.

E.g. of silver shield.

If you look at the "E188CC" etching below, the vertical portion directly behind the "18" etching is the silver shield.

vs. Gray Shield.

If you look at the "E188CC" etching below, the vertical portion directly behind the "8C" portion of the etching is the Gray shield.

Quote:
To be a tri mica of anything or a quad mica, it has to have 3 or 4 mica support. Are there any etchings on the bottom of the tube? If not there is no way to know when they were made for sure but if there are, then you will know where manufactured and when. I notice no seams on the top of the tubes, which is odd for the period on most of these types. 

Quote:
It's confusing. I've tried to find historical clarification on whether what we refer to as gray shields is properly 'trimica's', as it's often referred to on ebay. As best I can tell, it shouldn't be called trimica's, and is on ebay either because a) they don't understand the difference, or b) they do, but they understand that true trimica's are desirable and many don't know the difference.

Again - as best as I can tell, trimica's refer to the style of having the additional mica plate positioned above the shield. If anyone tube wizards can add to our knowledge here, I'd be grateful.

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #2,485 of 8,735
Thanks Lord Soth! That's what I thought. It's quite common for 2 mica tubes to be referred to as 3-mica. Must be ignorance or marketing.

Quote:
The difference between mica and shields can be seen from the following examples.

Mica refers to the horizontal plates.

E.g. of 2 or Double Mica below :- You can see 2 horizonal plates.

vs. Triple Mica. You can see 3 horizontal plates below :-

Shields refers to the vertical plates.

This is the vertical "Shield" between the 2 triode sections.

E.g. of silver shield.

If you look at the "E188CC" etching below, the vertical portion directly behind the "18" etching is the silver shield.

vs. Gray Shield.

If you look at the "E188CC" etching below, the vertical portion directly behind the "8C" portion of the etching is the Gray shield.

Quote:

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #2,486 of 8,735
That 3mica has a really strange construction. Bars where the shield should be and the third mica nearly on top of the getter.  Soth do u know maker/brand of that tube, just curious. I guess I'm posing the ? to any high rollers who might have come across that construct as well.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #2,488 of 8,735
rolleyes.gif
  looks up in lust as wiping drool from lower lip....

Dec 11, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #2,489 of 8,735
Quote:
That 3mica has a really strange construction. Bars where the shield should be and the third mica nearly on top of the getter.  Soth do u know maker/brand of that tube, just curious. I guess I'm posing the ? to any high rollers who might have come across that construct as well.

Hi dailydoseofdaly,

That 3mica is a GE Black Plate 5751 vacuum tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back