Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #2,461 of 8,735
Quote:
So I gots a question. I got what you could call a Christmas bonus. So I've got a little spending money. Here's what I've been thinking of...

S&H E88CC from tubemonger, or possibly the Amperex ones that cost a little more.

Herbie dampers for my mullards

Trying out an ALO cable for the LCD-2

Grabbing a Bifrost

Really not sure what I want to do. I've heard good things about the Siemens tubes, but I've been wanting to try an aftermarket cable for awhile... Or there's upgrading my DAC. I've got a HRT Music Streamer II, not sure how it compares to the Bifrost though.

Thoughts?

Well, you have decent tubes, so look at the other options, then later you can look into different tubes.
The dampers will help the tubes you have and any ones you get in the future.  An ALO cable would be a nice option.  Then again, if you have a source to feed the Bifrost, that wouldn't hurt either.

Ask not the elves for advice, for they will say both no and yes...

-Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #2,462 of 8,735

Quote:
So I gots a question. I got what you could call a Christmas bonus. So I've got a little spending money. Here's what I've been thinking of...

S&H E88CC from tubemonger, or possibly the Amperex ones that cost a little more.

Herbie dampers for my mullards

Trying out an ALO cable for the LCD-2

Grabbing a Bifrost

Really not sure what I want to do. I've heard good things about the Siemens tubes, but I've been wanting to try an aftermarket cable for awhile... Or there's upgrading my DAC. I've got a HRT Music Streamer II, not sure how it compares to the Bifrost though.

Thoughts?

Hmm I would get the dampers ( working well for me). I have a q audio for my LCD2 which I really like and you could put the extra $ saved from the alo cable to upgrade your DAC. Then you could match tubes to your setups new updated sound.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #2,465 of 8,735
Seriously, i'm really going to cry when my Lorenz bite the dust. I've spent the last couple of weeks rolling through different flavours. I just now plugged the Lorenz back in. I had forgotten how much better all around they were 
blink.gif

I hope more turn up somewhere! 

M

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #2,466 of 8,735
Dec 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #2,467 of 8,735
It's confusing. I've tried to find historical clarification on whether what we refer to as gray shields is properly 'trimica's', as it's often referred to on ebay. As best I can tell, it shouldn't be called trimica's, and is on ebay either because a) they don't understand the difference, or b) they do, but they understand that true trimica's are desirable and many don't know the difference.

Again - as best as I can tell, trimica's refer to the style of having the additional mica plate positioned above the shield. If anyone tube wizards can add to our knowledge here, I'd be grateful.

Quote:
They don't look like trimicas.  The look like the grey-shields except the color is much darker...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260896300174?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1184wt_1396.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #2,468 of 8,735
Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and ordered some Rx dampers from Herbie. Should be here Saturday! And my socket savers should be here today or tomorrow!

I'll read up more on the Q cable. Reason I was looking at the ALO was because they have the 30 day return policy, but I see Q cable does too! And for 250-300 bucks cheaper, well, that's a win.

And because I'm not totally sure... the Siemens tubes on tubemonger for 250 aren't Cca's right? I was looking around on tubeworld last night and saw all the different S&H tubes there are. I'd really love some Telefunkens, but 400 bucks for a pair....

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #2,469 of 8,735
No, not CCa's. They are a better vintage of the E88CC tubes though. Nice tubes.

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and ordered some Rx dampers from Herbie. Should be here Saturday! And my socket savers should be here today or tomorrow!

I'll read up more on the Q cable. Reason I was looking at the ALO was because they have the 30 day return policy, but I see Q cable does too! And for 250-300 bucks cheaper, well, that's a win.

And because I'm not totally sure... the Siemens tubes on tubemonger for 250 aren't Cca's right? I was looking around on tubeworld last night and saw all the different S&H tubes there are. I'd really love some Telefunkens, but 400 bucks for a pair....

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #2,470 of 8,735

Quote:
It's confusing. I've tried to find historical clarification on whether what we refer to as gray shields is properly 'trimica's', as it's often referred to on ebay. As best I can tell, it shouldn't be called trimica's, and is on ebay either because a) they don't understand the difference, or b) they do, but they understand that true trimica's are desirable and many don't know the difference.

Again - as best as I can tell, trimica's refer to the style of having the additional mica plate positioned above the shield. If anyone tube wizards can add to our knowledge here, I'd be grateful.

To be a tri mica of anything or a quad mica, it has to have 3 or 4 mica support. Are there any etchings on the bottom of the tube? If not there is no way to know when they were made for sure but if there are, then you will know where manufactured and when. I notice no seams on the top of the tubes, which is odd for the period on most of these types. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #2,471 of 8,735
Hey guys, I know it's a bit off-topic but do any of you use the Lyr with a dedicated audiophile-grade power cable? Sure the Lyr is advertised as a high power amp, but it's still a headphone amp and definitely not as power hungry as amplifiers or monoblocks used to drive speakers. Jason told me he personally uses the stock power cord, but then again, has any of you tried out using some of audio power cords with the Lyr to hear any noticeable improvement?

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #2,472 of 8,735
I use the Iego copper power cable and it is a big improvement. Smooths out the high end and takes some harshness out of the mid-range. Can be heard on any tubes I roll in there. I consider it a great up grade. I bought the cable for something else and just tried it one day and was impressed.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #2,473 of 8,735
I replaced stock Lyr power cord with Linn stock power cord (from CD player) (because I have one extra).
It changed bass a little bit (more powerful and a little bit deeper). And maybe just a little bit wider sounstage. It is not very noticable. I think that if I made a pause between listening to the second cord I could hardly noticed any differences. All in all I don't think power cord can do some evident differences (maybe very expensive). Although now I use Linn power cord with Lyr.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Hey guys, I know it's a bit off-topic but do any of you use the Lyr with a dedicated audiophile-grade power cable? Sure the Lyr is advertised as a high power amp, but it's still a headphone amp and definitely not as power hungry as amplifiers or monoblocks used to drive speakers. Jason told me he personally uses the stock power cord, but then again, has any of you tried out using some of audio power cords with the Lyr to hear any noticeable improvement?

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #2,474 of 8,735
I hope to get the Lyr soon, it SHOULD be after the back order is cleared up, I am getting a BiFrost with it... I gone through a bit of this thread and really makes me wonder what to do.

I am guessing I should chose the 6BZ7 when I order?

After I do that what you be an INEXPENSIVE tube to make it sound better or different in a way I can not help but notice, I REALIZE better is a subjective thing. I can't pay $90 a tube etc.
for some of the ones I have seen to be claimed as awesome! They maybe but $180 for a pair of tubes just can not happen for me!

I listen from Progressive Rock to Anime OSTs to Classical. I AM really ALL over the map. I have read about so many tubes
I get really confused, I think I find one then I see another and I am back at square one. I have NEVER owned a TUBE anything!
You can see my headphones in my list.

I am a TOTAL Newb at this so ease me into it. I have been SS my whole life...

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #2,475 of 8,735
I really like the 6n1p from schiit. Detail and bass are pretty darn good. if i had to list my tubes in order of preference itd be 

lorenz obviously 100 darra
Schiit 6n1p 20 darra
some random russian 23p's off ebay 40 darra
national 6922- these are really good but something about them just doesnt captivate me with the t50. 80 darra
6bz7  free came with amp :) 

thats my breakdown

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back