Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #2,146 of 8,735
Quote:
They are not that bad I guess after listening to the 3-mica's I just was expecting something similar

I was just surprised the bass impact is there...not as smooth on the top end yet, but I need to give it more burn-in.  I don't think they'll ever equal the Lorenz, but they sound pretty good for a cheaper, more available tube.
Not a bad alternative.  Of course IMHO, YMMV, IIRC, AFAIK, ASAP, FUBAR, SNAFU, and the like... 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #2,147 of 8,735
I don't even know what half of those abbreviations mean... lol are you making them up or am i just internet illterate? and why is ASAP in there? lol

Anyway, I'm in the market for new tubes, since my stock GE's seem to be microphonic. I'm looking for some tubes that are not microphonic, cheap (<50$), and provide an upgrade over the stock GEs. 

The tungs seem to be an option, but i am wondering if there are any other tubes that are under 50$ and provide an upgrade over the stock GE's. Yes i have seen Mr Scary's list of recommended tubes, but most of them are over 100$ or very very cheap, leading me to believe that they won't provide much of an upgrade.

Of course, this assumption may be completely incorrect, but that's where i need you guys' help. I can't read allll of this huge thread... any recommendations for <50$ tubes will be much appreciated 
smile.gif

thanks guys

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #2,149 of 8,735
Quote:
I don't even know what half of those abbreviations mean... lol are you making them up or am i just internet illterate? and why is ASAP in there? lol

Anyway, I'm in the market for new tubes, since my stock GE's seem to be microphonic. I'm looking for some tubes that are not microphonic, cheap (<50$), and provide an upgrade over the stock GEs. 

The tungs seem to be an option, but i am wondering if there are any other tubes that are under 50$ and provide an upgrade over the stock GE's. Yes i have seen Mr Scary's list of recommended tubes, but most of them are over 100$ or very very cheap, leading me to believe that they won't provide much of an upgrade.

Of course, this assumption may be completely incorrect, but that's where i need you guys' help. I can't read allll of this huge thread... any recommendations for <50$ tubes will be much appreciated 
smile.gif

thanks guys

Ahem...

IMHO - "In My Humble Opinion"
YMMV - "Your Mileage May Vary" 
IIRC - "If I Remember Correctly"
AFAIK - "As Far As I Know" 
ASAP - "As Soon As Possible"...hey, I needed something extra to throw in.
wink_face.gif

FUBAR - "screw*D (Fouled) Up Beyond All Recognition"
SNAFU - "Situation Normal - All screw*D (Fouled) Up"

So remember WYSIWYG...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

And to answer your other question...look at PCC88s, ECC88s, and 6DJ8s.  You'll find quite a few under $50.  Hope that helps...

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #2,150 of 8,735
Honestly, for $50  per pair, the Siemens (RCA) 6DJ8 tubes I have listed are hard to beat. Read up on them. 

Quote:

smile.gif

thanks guys

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #2,157 of 8,735
Oct 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #2,158 of 8,735
I did it for aesthetic and cooling reasons.  The unit definitely doesn't feel as hot to the touch with the feet and tubemonger's socket saver all in place.  However as a lazy man's test, I tapped on the Lyr and I don't hear the vibrations resonating through to the headphones so it is working.  Before, I could tap on the Lyr anywhere and hear it through my headphones.  I keep the Lyr and DAC on a separate table from my desk so it doesn't get much vibrations from say me typing on a keyboard.  

Quote:
Did they help with vibration any?

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #2,159 of 8,735

Quote:

Thanks. Do you put the Lyr with its 'original' feets on the other ones or do you use only these feets from ebay?

Cheers!

perfect-pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back