Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2,056 of 8,735
Yup, all I need is your bank account number.  My country called Isle of Threeleggedbeagles needs a bank to dump approximately 4.2 billion dollars.  All of our banks are full.

Back to the Siemens CCa, love the transparency, detail and naturalness of these tubes.  Will go back to the Lorenz as well.  It's a two tube rotation with the Lorenz as my #2.

Quote:
PS - Can someone loan me $2K so I can try the Audeze LCD-3s? 
wink_face.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #2,057 of 8,735

Quote:
Thanks mavwong, those look like an inexpensive solution. I though about trying these novib socket savers out to reduce vibration and i figured it would give the tubes a boost in the lyr so they could be rolled more easily. Only problem is if i put them in i might never be able to get them out 
confused_face.gif

http://www.tubemonger.com/NOVIB_Socket_Saver_with_Vibration_Red_B9A_NOVAL_p/novib.htm

My concern with adding this to my setup is am I adding any noise or other artifact to the sound?

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #2,061 of 8,735
I think I'm going to pick up a pair of the socket savers up today. My lyr has started producing a pretty loud vibration if the amp isn't positioned just right. I hope they will remedy this issue. I will post my findings

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #2,062 of 8,735
My tubes showing microphonics all the sudden. They were fine, then one day I cleaned my desk and when I put the Lyr back I started having the problem. It's only happened a couple times, but it was enough to get me looking at the bases and dampers. Still haven't made the plunge yet, but I think I will soon.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2,063 of 8,735
Quote:
My tubes showing microphonics all the sudden. They were fine, then one day I cleaned my desk and when I put the Lyr back I started having the problem. It's only happened a couple times, but it was enough to get me looking at the bases and dampers. Still haven't made the plunge yet, but I think I will soon.

That's why I never clean my desk... 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - After you moved the amp, did you remove and re-seat the tubes?  That might help.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #2,064 of 8,735
Hi,

Have any of you tried out the valvo pcc88 tubes? So far I've only seen the lorenz and telefunken pcc88 tubes being mentioned. Are the valvos' not any good?

http://www.tubemonger.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1078

I am asking this because I have received my pair of valvo tubes and I wonder how they would compare to the lorenz 3 mica for that matter. My previous tubes were the stock jj so I can't do much comparison except to say that almost everything else is improved, with the increased dynamics first catching my attention.

Anyway, the valvo tubes I have received are apparently different (my fault entirely for not checking the order properly). One has a measure of 14000-12900 mmhos, while another has a measure of 13500-13500 mmhos. Should I be concerned that the output of the sound will be different? What does this mmhos do anyway?

Cheers!

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #2,065 of 8,735
I would say that your left channel and right channel will definitely sound different even though they both Valvo PCC88, they are structurally different, one has a splatter shield, the other is an 'A' frame.

The numbers are the readings from a tube tester, which in your case is irrelevant because this pair is definitely not matched as they are different tubes. 

Quote:
Hi,

Have any of you tried out the valvo pcc88 tubes? So far I've only seen the lorenz and telefunken pcc88 tubes being mentioned. Are the valvos' not any good?

http://www.tubemonger.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1078

I am asking this because I have received my pair of valvo tubes and I wonder how they would compare to the lorenz 3 mica for that matter. My previous tubes were the stock jj so I can't do much comparison except to say that almost everything else is improved, with the increased dynamics first catching my attention.

Anyway, the valvo tubes I have received are apparently different (my fault entirely for not checking the order properly). One has a measure of 14000-12900 mmhos, while another has a measure of 13500-13500 mmhos. Should I be concerned that the output of the sound will be different? What does this mmhos do anyway?

Cheers!

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #2,066 of 8,735

Quote:
That's why I never clean my desk... 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends
PS - After you moved the amp, did you remove and re-seat the tubes?  That might help.

Yes I re-seated them, which did help a bit. Now microphonics only happen if I bump my desk fairly hard. I'd like to build a separate stand for my music gear, just too busy to fool with it right now :p

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2,067 of 8,735

Hey gang i got my novib socket savers in last night, put them in and they fill the lyr sockets almost to the top of the metal casing. Which allows you to see practically the whole tube. The best thing so far is that my amp hasnt produced that loud hum, which is why i bought them in the first place. I havent noticed a difference in sound with them in. Also microphonics sound slightly less with noisy tubes but not night and day. 

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #2,069 of 8,735
Quote:

Hey gang i got my novib socket savers in last night, put them in and they fill the lyr sockets almost to the top of the metal casing. Which allows you to see practically the whole tube. The best thing so far is that my amp hasnt produced that loud hum, which is why i bought them in the first place. I havent noticed a difference in sound with them in. Also microphonics sound slightly less with noisy tubes but not night and day. 

I just got mine in today too.  Hadn't had a chance to try them out yet, but your words are encouraging.  Did you notice when you try to pull the tubes, if the socket savers stay seated in the Lyr?
Just curious...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #2,070 of 8,735
Hey daily these are the B9A NOVAL ones right, not the triode flippers? TIA

Edit: Good question HK - I've had amazing trouble pulling out old tubes sometimes. Looking to this as a way to make it easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back