Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #1,996 of 8,735

Quote:
If you get Telefunken PCC88 tubes, make sure they were manufactured by Siemens.  They won't have the diamond on the bottom, but will have the four ridges on the top of the tubes that are characteristic of Siemens manufacture.  They are about as good as the Lorenz tubes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pair-2-Telefunken-PCC88-7DJ8-6DJ8-ECC88-NOS-NIB-/290615654529?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43aa0af881#ht_991wt_1396

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Whenever I get them I was planning on getting them from Tubemonger. They say they have the diamond base though. What makes the Siemens ones better?
http://www.tubemonger.com/Telefunken_PCC88_Bundeswehr_Falcon_Diamond_Bottom_p/651.htm

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #1,998 of 8,735
The next morning in thought I would listen to see if I still feel the same way toward these tubes.

They sound as delicious this morning.

These tubes brought the Lyr to a new level of excellence.

I can't wait to see what happens over the next few weeks.

:p

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #1,999 of 8,735
^ Happy for you!   Glad I got into the rolling game when I did so i could snatch a pair of them : )

M

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #2,000 of 8,735
     Quote:

Whenever I get them I was planning on getting them from Tubemonger. They say they have the diamond base though. What makes the Siemens ones better?
http://www.tubemonger.com/Telefunken_PCC88_Bundeswehr_Falcon_Diamond_Bottom_p/651.htm

Thanks to another Head-Fi'er, I had a chance to sample the Telefunken-made tubes (with the diamond as on Tubemonger) and I own the Seimens-made/Telefunken-branded tubes.  The Telefunken-made tubes sound drier, more detailed, but without the bass extension of the Lorenz or Seimens-made/Telefunken-branded tubes.  I really wasn't impressed with them, but the Seimens-made tubes sound more like the Lorenz.  Of course, this is all IMHO and YMMV.

I'm curious about the Tungsram PCC88s: http://www.tubemonger.com/MP_MINT_NOS_Tungsram_PCC88_Jan_Feb_MAR1971_Hungary_p/756.htm
Has anybody tried those?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #2,001 of 8,735

Quote:
     Quote:
Thanks to another Head-Fi'er, I had a chance to sample the Telefunken-made tubes (with the diamond as on Tubemonger) and I own the Seimens-made/Telefunken-branded tubes.  The Telefunken-made tubes sound drier, more detailed, but without the bass extension of the Lorenz or Seimens-made/Telefunken-branded tubes.  I really wasn't impressed with them, but the Seimens-made tubes sound more like the Lorenz.  Of course, this is all IMHO and YMMV.

I'm curious about the Tungsram PCC88s: http://www.tubemonger.com/MP_MINT_NOS_Tungsram_PCC88_Jan_Feb_MAR1971_Hungary_p/756.htm
Has anybody tried those?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Nope, have not tried the Tungsram PCC88, but if they are anything like the Tungram E88CC, they should be quite lush with quite a bit of texture, iirc. 

I did try these briefly before I rolled in the PCC88 Lorenz fused getters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCC88-7DJ8-NOS-MINIWATT-Vacuum-Tubes-sub-6DJ8-ECC88-/220771362315?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3366ffa60b#ht_500wt_665

They are somewhat similar to the Lorenz PCC88, slightly lighter all round, with a bit of sparkle at the top-end. Have not done a complete critical comparison between the 2 tubes as I sent my dac for modding and just got it back, so I am currently burning in my dac all over again.

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #2,002 of 8,735
Quote:
Nope, have not tried the Tungsram PCC88, but if they are anything like the Tungram E88CC, they should be quite lush with quite a bit of texture, iirc. 

I did try these briefly before I rolled in the PCC88 Lorenz fused getters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCC88-7DJ8-NOS-MINIWATT-Vacuum-Tubes-sub-6DJ8-ECC88-/220771362315?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3366ffa60b#ht_500wt_665

They are somewhat similar to the Lorenz PCC88, slightly lighter all round, with a bit of sparkle at the top-end. Have not done a complete critical comparison between the 2 tubes as I sent my dac for modding and just got it back, so I am currently burning in my dac all over again. 

Thanks for the info!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #2,003 of 8,735
Alright, the Lorenz 3-mica have officially taken over my Lyr.  The bass is so detailed and extended with these tubes.  I've also made some other adjustments to my system (Shunyata Venom 3 and Norn cable) over the past week so I can't say it is completely the Lorenz but everything is synergizing so well in my system that I dare not remove these tubes.  Now I wish I had a backup but I'll remain in tube retirement until another batch of them show up somewhere. 

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #2,004 of 8,735
Alright, the Lorenz 3-mica have officially taken over my Lyr.  The bass is so detailed and extended with these tubes.  I've also made some other adjustments to my system (Shunyata Venom 3 and Norn cable) over the past week so I can't say it is completely the Lorenz but everything is synergizing so well in my system that I dare not remove these tubes.  Now I wish I had a backup but I'll remain in tube retirement until another batch of them show up somewhere. 

Have you heard the difference between the Lorenz PCC 88 and the lorencz 3-mica?

Please let me know if you have.

Thanks

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #2,005 of 8,735
My guess is that HK_Sends has done the comparison.  He's a tube fiend, taking over the spot of my fellow retired roller MrScary 
biggrin.gif

I held out on the Lorenz brand until someone mentioned the 3-mica.  You guys had me at 3-mica 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Thanks

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #2,006 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks

I described my impressions a few pages back.  The grey-shield Lorenz and its close cousins offer a larger soundstage than the 3-mica tubes.  However, the 3-mica tubes present a more 3-D sound, albeit on a slightly (really only slightly) smaller soundstage.  However, it's the layering of the sound...to the point where you can honestly focus on individual instruments...that makes the 3-mica so special.  On all the Lorenz I have tried (ahem...pretty much all the ones TubeMonger offered), the bass was very impressive.  My original impression of the sound was like the Siemens CCa tubes, but with kickin' bass.
biggrin.gif
  Of course, all is IMHO and YMMV!

Quote:
My guess is that HK_Sends has done the comparison.  He's a tube fiend, taking over the spot of my fellow retired roller MrScary 
biggrin.gif

I held out on the Lorenz brand until someone mentioned the 3-mica.  You guys had me at 3-mica 
tongue.gif

Just remember...tube crack is better than cracked tubes...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - I guess now is a good time to announce my retirement from tube rolling...retiring with the Lorenz...at least until something better comes along.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #2,008 of 8,735
A new dac has elevated the Lorenz (brown label) above my previous go to. The smoothness, depth of soundstage, and imaging combined with the LCD-2's transparency and ability to resolve is really something. It's all about synergy folks.

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #2,009 of 8,735

Has anyone noticed that they are cranking the volume sice the installation of the Lorenz pcc88. I know I'm listening to my music louder (because it's so clean), but I'm wondering if there is a volume resistance with these tubes or is it just me?

I used to listen at 12:00 now I'm at 2:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back