Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #1,981 of 8,735
any lorenz, well i just looked and it looks like there are only one left of every type :frowning2: bummer

M

http://www.tubemonger.com/MPs_MINT_NOS_Ei_PCC88_1968_Lorenz_SEL_Falcon_logo_p/801.htm spose you could try these

Oct 3, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #1,982 of 8,735
I don't think Tubemonger has any more matched pairs of the Lorenz tubes. I bought a pair of these Mullard's http://www.tubemonger.com/Mullard_MPs_Like_New_1969_78_E88CC_CV2492_Mitcham_p/555.htm

Got them earlier today and I really like them. Compared to the stock JJ's it's like a veil has been lifted. More clarity, bigger sound stage. An all around improvement to my ears.

Ok thanks, done deal. I hope I like them, if anything they will be something different.

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #1,984 of 8,735
So I went through all 133 pages of this thread and decided I had to tube roll just to see what all this hype is about.
(The Lyr is my first desktop and first tube amp by the way)

Since you guys have swooped up pretty every pair of tubes I wanted to buy, I bought some from a fellow Head-Fier.
Went with the Reflector 6N23Ps and Brimar E88CCs.
I hope they will be a welcome change from the stock GE 6BZ7s.
Impressions will follow!

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #1,985 of 8,735

Okay I am fu$/3n freaking out here!!!

My 1960's Stuttgart Lorenz PCC 88 squats arrived today. A lovely matched pair 13,500-13,500. I plugged them in, turned the Lyr on, and left them alone for around 30 minutes. Then I played one of my favorite songs. I couldn't believe what I heard. I feel like I have a new amp.

I noticed right away that the amp felt so much cleaner that I raised the volume from the normal 12:00 position to it's new home at 1:00. I have been listening for about an hour and it's outstanding.

I would like to thank MrScary for his suggestions. I have tried at least 4 tubes on the Lyr and these are the best I've heard.

I am going to keep listening late into the night.

Wow.

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #1,986 of 8,735
Wow, I get back and want to order a pair of the Lorenz and you guys bought them all! Well maybe some other time. 

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #1,988 of 8,735
Wow, I get back and want to order a pair of the Lorenz and you guys bought them all! Well maybe some other time. 

Put these tubes on your must have list. I'm sure you can find a pair if you search high and low. I can't believe I'm loving these so quickly. It usually takes me a few days to understand and love or hate a new tweak. This was instant.

You know how the LCD's are considered a little dark on the high end? NOT ANY MORE. The balance between low, mid and high sounds in perfect balance. It's magical.

best tweak I have EVER done!!!!!!

:D

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #1,989 of 8,735

Quote:
Put these tubes on your must have list. I'm sure you can find a pair if you search high and low. I can't believe I'm loving these so quickly. It usually takes me a few days to understand and love or hate a new tweak. This was instant.
You know how the LCD's are considered a little dark on the high end? NOT ANY MORE. The balance between low, mid and high sounds in perfect balance. It's magical.
best tweak I have EVER done!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Great. I would like to know how they sound in a week or so. 

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #1,991 of 8,735
Anyone tried the Telefunken PCC88's? I think a pair of those will be next on my list of things to buy. 
That could be awhile though. Between the Lyr and the Mullard's I don't have much spending money :p

Been listening to those Mullard's all evening and I'm having a similar experience to sperandeo. I'm hearing stuff I haven't heard before and everything else sounds so much cleaner. Very Very happy, 90 bucks well spent.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #1,992 of 8,735
Listening to the Lorenz 3-mica.  Don't regret this purchase.  You guys were spot on.  Excellent mid-bass and low end.  Combined with a very nice soundstage, imaging and clarity.  Details galore.  I'm going to listen to these tubes for a couple weeks then throw the Siemens CCa back on to do a comparison.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #1,994 of 8,735
Quote:
Anyone tried the Telefunken PCC88's? I think a pair of those will be next on my list of things to buy. 
That could be awhile though. Between the Lyr and the Mullard's I don't have much spending money :p

Been listening to those Mullard's all evening and I'm having a similar experience to sperandeo. I'm hearing stuff I haven't heard before and everything else sounds so much cleaner. Very Very happy, 90 bucks well spent.

If you get Telefunken PCC88 tubes, make sure they were manufactured by Siemens.  They won't have the diamond on the bottom, but will have the four ridges on the top of the tubes that are characteristic of Siemens manufacture.  They are about as good as the Lorenz tubes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pair-2-Telefunken-PCC88-7DJ8-6DJ8-ECC88-NOS-NIB-/290615654529?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43aa0af881#ht_991wt_1396

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #1,995 of 8,735
I'm going to be honest, I thought twice about ordering these tubes. I had already tried 4 tubes and didn't think they would make much of a difference. I really had a hard time justifying 100.00 for a set of tubes. But I trusted the advice on these forums and it has made me a very happy dude.
I'm not going to work tomorrow......well I can't work with these things on my head. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back