Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #1,966 of 8,735
LOL.

The Lorenz 3-Micca are no more.

You guys made me order them 15 days sooner than planned :p

Share the love! Don't get 100 sets of them

Oh... man... and my 2-micca were supposed to be my last ones...

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #1,967 of 8,735
Hey gang the folks at Tubemonger were nice enough to respond to my post here is what they had to say.

All tubes, specially the frame grid types like ECC88/E88CC/E188CC/PCC88, will exhibit this affect called microphonics to a varying degree. This effect also gives "air" or openness to the sound.

Question is if the microphonics are excessive e.g. do you hear howling sounds or other sounds that is not music.

It is NEVER a good idea to tap on a tube running hot. Tube internals are held in place with mechanical tension, and you are more likely to cause a problem by such tests.

In case microphonics is due to poor or loose socket connection, often just re-inserting the tube helps.

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #1,968 of 8,735
Hey, I only bought 99 sets...or was it three?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Quote:
LOL.

The Lorenz 3-Micca are no more.

You guys made me order them 15 days sooner than planned :p

Share the love! Don't get 100 sets of them

Oh... man... and my 2-micca were supposed to be my last ones...

P.S. - That was a joke, by the way...

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #1,969 of 8,735
Hey guys i noticed that my lorenz (fused getter) is amplifying itself. For example if i tap the tube lightly with the back of my finger nail, i hear a loud ting from the tube in the headphone. Also i can hear the sound of the volume knob's movement when i turn the volume knob up or down. It doesnt seem to be negatively effecting sound or quality of music though the tubes. This is the only set of tubes i have that does this. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this too? 

YOU might have gotten some highly micro-phonic tubes that's bound to happen with the large supply that they ship. Its normal to hear some microphonics come through your headphones if you tap on them but not while turning up the volume. I haven't notced either I must have gotten a good set..
I would'nt worry about it much sometimes you have to make a tradeoff for great sound for a bit of microphonics

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #1,970 of 8,735

Quote:
Hey, I only bought 99 sets...or was it three?
very_evil_smiley.gif

P.S. - That was a joke, by the way...

What? You mean the Lorenz 3-micas are all sold out?
eek.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #1,971 of 8,735
Thanks for the input scary, I'm not too worried about it there isn't any strange sounds or howling like tubemonger described. Also one tube seems to be alot more microphonic than the other, I moved it to the back socket and that cleared up hearing the volume knob.

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #1,973 of 8,735

Quote:
According to the TubeMonger site, they only have one left... 
frown.gif

-HK sends

On Sunday afternoon they had 9, then on Monday morning only 3. So I ordered my matched pair then, speeding the whole process :S

Let's hope is worth it... I spent now more cash on tubes than the amp itself :p

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #1,975 of 8,735
I just got my Lyr today. Spent the last 8 hours running it through the paces. I'm enjoying it, but I'm ready to start rolling.

I've read the first 40 pages of this thread and the last 5 or so. I was surprised to see that everyone started using the PCC88. I had seen the Telefunken PCC88's on tubemonger and sent an email to  Schiit asking if I could use those. The reply was short and sweet "Nope". But apparently you can eh?

That said, I'm really interested in trying the Cryo 6N23P or the Mullard CV2492. I think I may go with the Mullard's that don't have labels from tubemonger to save some bucks, or is that unwise? :p

Total noob at this, basing my choices off what seems to be popular for now.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #1,976 of 8,735
I just got my Lyr today. Spent the last 8 hours running it through the paces. I'm enjoying it, but I'm ready to start rolling.

I've read the first 40 pages of this thread and the last 5 or so. I was surprised to see that everyone started using the PCC88. I had seen the Telefunken PCC88's on tubemonger and sent an email to  Schiit asking if I could use those. The reply was short and sweet "Nope". But apparently you can eh?

That said, I'm really interested in trying the Cryo 6N23P or the Mullard CV2492. I think I may go with the Mullard's that don't have labels from tubemonger to save some bucks, or is that unwise? :p

Total noob at this, basing my choices off what seems to be popular for now.

Hate to say it but Schiit is wrong about the PCC88's alot of us are running the Lorenz PCC88's no problem so you could go that route if you choose. If you are going to start rolling I would go with the suggestions in the threads as most of us have rolled 20-30-40 or so tubes I am in the 40's and am running the Lorenz 3-mica PCC88's I think the reason that Schiit is saying no to the PCC88's is they require a 7 volt heater which I do not believe that the Lyr puts out but they sound fantastic on par with tubes costing 400.00 i.e. S&H CCa's. So to start with the mullards is a great place if you don't like them you can always buy and sell thats what I did. I now only have 8 sets of tubes at one time I had around 10 for sale and 30 in my tupperware container. I would not go with the Cryo 6N23p's originally at the beginning we all thought they were great tubes but as we used more NOS tubes and became more knowledgeable the Mullard is a better choice.. Godspeed.

Scary out:

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #1,977 of 8,735
What am I going to do. You people are mad lol. I am still using the stock JJ. I want another option but no way in the world do I want to get into tube hunting and studying enough to understand what the heck you guys are talking about. So basically, someone tell me what to buy, Ill take a shot in the dark. I want the price to be around the $100 mark give or take a little. Less is better of course, a little more is acceptable. I need them to be available tomorrow when I buy them. It sounds like some of these disappear rather quickly.

Source: Laptop USB ---> HRT MSII+ ----> DT880 600ohm, or K1000 or rarely Grado MS2i. Bifrost on the way soon I hope.

Anyone that has a good pair of tubes for sale feel free to PM me with a price and what Im getting. Fair prices only please.

I like it all music wise and of course I like sound that is impossible. Ya know, perfect highs, lows, mids with clarity and musicality. Oh well, it really doesnt matter, Im just willing to take a shot in the dark rather than chasing and chasing and chasing lol.

Please help, what is the FOTM?

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #1,978 of 8,735
well, lorenz to put it simple but 23p's are great too!

M

Oct 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #1,980 of 8,735
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back