Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #1,760 of 8,735
Hello - I am planning to buy the lyr for my lcd-2's, but have a question: what type of tubes can be used in lyr?

I have gold lion kt66, amperex usn cep 6922, valvo e80cc and siemens ecc801s - would any of it compatible with the lyr?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #1,761 of 8,735

Quote:
Only the 6922s that are in your list can be used in the lyr

Originally Posted by Ooztuncer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello - I am planning to buy the lyr for my lcd-2's, but have a question: what type of tubes can be used in lyr?

I have gold lion kt66, amperex usn cep 6922, valvo e80cc and siemens ecc801s - would any of it compatible with the lyr?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #1,762 of 8,735
From Schiit Website: "Lyr ships with either new-production JJ ECC88 tubes or NOS GE 6BZ7 tubes, but feel free to substitute any 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, 6BZ7, CV2492, CV2493, or 6N1Ptype tube, new or old, American or Russian or Chinese. The ability to use different tubes lets you tune the overall sound signature of Lyr to your specific needs."

Your Amperex 6922 are good to go

Quote:
Thanks in advance!

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #1,763 of 8,735
THANK YOU GUYS...much appreciated

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #1,764 of 8,735
I took your advise since you seemed to be very impressed with the Lorenz '60s PCC88 Gray Shield and ordered a pair. Of the tubes getting praise they seemed to be the more reasonably priced. I got them today and am really impressed with what I am hearing over the stock tubes. Soundstage has expanded and the sonic image is really present @ a full 360°. It is one of the first things that jumped out at me, not only hearing more space between the instruments but the presence of portions of the sonic image in front and behind me to a much greater degree than anything I've heard from the LCD-2 previously. Bass has gained extension, definition, and dare I say a tad more impact. You hit the nail on the head with dynamics, that is an excellent word to highlight a distinguishing characteristic of this tube, very dynamic but not with out finesse to boot. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote:
Hey all. It's been a bit quite around here lately - I suspect many of us have either found 'our' tube, or we're licking our financial wounds from this addiction 
wink_face.gif
. Thought I'd chime in on my recent adventures, and call out one particular tube that I'm very impressed with. First, those that are well known and spoken of:

IEC Mullard: Very nice. Not much to add to the previous comments. Fine, articulate and lively. Nice.
Siemens & Halske CCa Silver Shield: Thanks for these MrScary! Very, very nice. Tri-dimensional, great inner detail, very strong in most every category (a tad soft on bass).
Bugle Boy '68 Large 'O' Getter: All BB's are nice, but I really like these. Toasty, great extension top to bottom, good slam. I have one old BB 'D' getter I'm trying to match, but these are the best BB's so far.

But the tube that I'm most enjoying - Lorenz '60s PCC88 Gray Shield: Wow. This tube is in the Telefunken/Siemens CCa class (IMO). Great extension (top to bottom), sound stage (slightly less than S&H CCa but very large). Very balanced, neutral and dynamic. But this tube has a tight, tight bottom. If you actually enjoy distinguishing those very low notes, this tube is sweet. Listening to Donald Fagan Morph the Cat Reprise with these tubes is incredible. If you're not familiar with that track, it has a powerful bass line that anchors the entire tune. Other tubes have the slam and rumble, but they get a bit sloppy in reproducing the lowest notes. Most run out of steam. Not this Lorenz.

Anyway at $50 per at tube mongers, I consider this tube a steal. Almost so much that I didn't want to post this till I bought my backup pair 
evil_smiley.gif
 Be gentle.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #1,765 of 8,735
No worries wakeride74 - glad to hear you're enjoying them. It's always good to hear that others 'hear' what you're hearing 
wink_face.gif
 As I roll through various tubes, I keep rolling my way back to the Lorenz tubes. I've acquired a decent collection of good NOS tubes, so that's saying something. I think this is a tube we'll be glad to have in our collection - they really are pretty hard to come by.

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #1,767 of 8,735
Welcome dbcambell! Ediswan CV2492 is a wonderful tube. Great texture, nice warmth, decent extension top to bottom. It doesn't throw the widest image, but  it's decent. It was my first NOS tube, and I still roll through it occasionally.

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #1,768 of 8,735
All - wanted to let you all know in case any are interested: A while back I picked up 9 pairs of Siemens (RCA Label) NOS 6DJ8's in great conditions. These are the GA2 model with gray shield and a date of Feb. 65. If you read up on these early Siemens, you'll find they're considered by many to be one of the best all around 6DJ8 types. They're very musical, balanced, smooth and not overly warm. Gonna keep a pair and sell 8 for $50 + shipping a pair. Not looking to make much, just want to give my tube mates a chance to enjoy this tube. Price these (same/similar model/year) and you'll see they're going for at the cheapest $75 a pair to $70 each. Again, just looking to cover my expense. What isn't nabbed here I'll sell elsewhere probable for more. PM me if you'd like me to hold a pair for you, or you'd like a picture.

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #1,769 of 8,735
No worries wakeride74 - glad to hear you're enjoying them. It's always good to hear that others 'hear' what you're hearing 
wink_face.gif
 As I roll through various tubes, I keep rolling my way back to the Lorenz tubes. I've acquired a decent collection of good NOS tubes, so that's saying something. I think this is a tube we'll be glad to have in our collection - they really are pretty hard to come by.

I may come out of tube rolling retirement and pick up those Lorenz :wink:

Aug 31, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #1,770 of 8,735
Well knowing a bit about what sound you like, I think you'll enjoy them. They don't best the CCa's overall, but have some real strengths and represent a great deal for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back