Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #1,128 of 8,735

hey i was using the  wavelength proton asynchronous USB dac and some Chord cobra RCA cables. in the end I decided that nothing was going to really change the sound signature of the hd800. i tried a full tube Darkvoice 337 with fully upgraded tubes  (this was based on skylab's choice of tubes i think it was a friend's amp) today with the hd800, and while it was much more listenable compared to the stock lyr that I had been listening 2 for 2 days, it felt like I was trying too hard to change the original sound sig fo the headphones.
Quote:
Quote:
for those of you using hd800s with your lyr, do you guys still find the pair to be overly bright/treble overemphasized? so far I've been listening to a new lyr with the hd800 for 2 days, and have found the combination to be quite fatiguing, which suggests that the lyr might not be that great a pair with the hd800, which is off-tangent from the glowing reviews the pairing has received on 6moons etc.. 

to be fair to the lyr, just about every amp that I've tried with the hd800 has been too harsh for me - maybe the latter phones just aren't for me, but still hoping that some tube rolling can take the edge off. it would save me some time and money if someone who's tried this combination and has upgraded the tubes still finds them too fatiguing mentions something here! thanks!

Well it could be the tubes in the Lyr the stock JJ's are very harsh you would have to change tubes to get rid of the harshness..
Also, what is your audio chain are you using silver interconnects? what Kind of DAC?

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #1,129 of 8,735

so you felt that the senns weren't bright/harsh with the stock tubes?
Quote:
I enjoy my HD800's with the Lyr. The only tube I feel doesn't really suit it are the popular cryo 6N23P that can be a bit too analytical and bright with the 800's
If I had to choose just for the Senns I would go for a pair of vintage (not NOS) Mullard ECC88. They are usually easier and much cheaper to pick up than the E88CC but you may have to try a few to get a pair with low microphonics. Bass may be a little fuller compared with the best of the rest but the mids and treble live up to the term "liquid" and sound stage can be phenomenal.

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #1,131 of 8,735
I just got another set of the 6922 in Siemens. These are a matched date code of 22 68, later than I like tubes but they sound very good. Clean and yet the bloom of realism. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #1,132 of 8,735
Received my matched pairs of made in Holland Amperex orange globes and Bugle Boys. I've just slotted in the A-frame 1975 orange globes and I'm stunned at the depth and width of soundstage and the layered textures being presented. Vocals are really smooth, acoustic and distorted guitars (already a strength of the HD650 presentation) are lush and detailed, and certainly the most organic and energetic I've heard through these headphones. Bass control and balance is the best I've heard out of the tubes I've tried. It's well defined with weight, occupying its own space. Imaging is fantastic, as is the resolve. Songs I'm very familiar with sound like remixes.

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #1,133 of 8,735
I just got another set of the 6922 in Siemens. These are a matched date code of 22 68, later than I like tubes but they sound very good. Clean and yet the bloom of realism. 

I have some Siemens and Halske O getter's early 60's coming in about 3 weeks, I will give feedback when I get them.
I also have some Siemens and Halske A frame's coming in as well. Tube world puts them in the top 5 CCA's to get we will see.
They cost a bundle thats it for me with tubes I have now spent ummm schiit I dont even want to count.. I will cry

CCa Siemens & Halske
1960's "O" getter halo
"Rarest and most sought after CCa, has "gray shield" between plates,
Most realistic sounding holographic soundstage, pure seductive sonic joy,
complex symphonic images emerge effortlessly"

CCa Siemens & Halske
A-FRAME construction late 1960's - early 1970's
"beautiful open air holographic images, low microphonic tube construction, rare

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #1,134 of 8,735
We're anxiously waiting the reviews for these tubes as well as price-to-perfomance opinions, essentially if you had to do it over again would you buy them.  I've seen Siemens CCa go for mucho dinero and would love to know if they are worth the money.  IEC Mullards are awesome, working on getting a 2nd pair for backup.  I guess I could try some of the Bugle Boys but why not go for the full CCa monty.  

MrScary, What's going to happen to happen all those other tubes?  Probably more than you could use in a lifetime  

Quote:
I have some Siemens and Halske O getter's early 60's coming in about 3 weeks, I will give feedback when I get them.
I also have some Siemens and Halske A frame's coming in as well. Tube world puts them in the top 5 CCA's to get we will see.
They cost a bundle thats it for me with tubes I have now spent ummm schiit I dont even want to count.. I will cry

CCa Siemens & Halske
1960's "O" getter halo
"Rarest and most sought after CCa, has "gray shield" between plates,
Most realistic sounding holographic soundstage, pure seductive sonic joy,
complex symphonic images emerge effortlessly"

CCa Siemens & Halske
A-FRAME construction late 1960's - early 1970's
"beautiful open air holographic images, low microphonic tube construction, rare

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #1,135 of 8,735
We're anxiously waiting the reviews for these tubes as well as price-to-perfomance opinions, essentially if you had to do it over again would you buy them.  I've seen Siemens CCa go for mucho dinero and would love to know if they are worth the money.  IEC Mullards are awesome, working on getting a 2nd pair for backup.  I guess I could try some of the Bugle Boys but why not go for the full CCa monty.  

MrScary, What's going to happen to happen all those other tubes?  Probably more than you could use in a lifetime  

Im going to sell all the tubes Im not using I will give the users on the thread first dibs at them. It will be about a month before I can go through and see what I want to keep etc...

Jun 27, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #1,136 of 8,735

Quote:
so you felt that the senns weren't bright/harsh with the stock tubes?

Unfortunately one of my stock JJ tubes was faulty, so I've never really been able to assess them

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #1,137 of 8,735
Really enjoying the Siemens Halske E88CC/ 6922's. They don't knock my socks off, but they are pure sounding and very musical. Beautiful sweet highs. The date code on the three I just got are 1968 22nd week. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #1,139 of 8,735

Quote:
That Avatar Jamato8 looks like Demons looking at me...

I took the image the other day. Here is the full image. These Siemens are sounding more and more realistic. Very enjoyable. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back