Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #962 of 8,735
What is the expected number of tube install/remove cycles we can expect from the tube sockets in the Lyr to maintain good contact with the tubes?

Is there any concern with constantly swapping tubes in and out that you might be eventually wearing out the sockets and/or degrading the performance of the Lyr due to worn-out sockets?

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #963 of 8,735

Quote:
What is the expected number of tube install/remove cycles we can expect from the tube sockets in the Lyr to maintain good contact with the tubes?

Is there any concern with constantly swapping tubes in and out that you might be eventually wearing out the sockets and/or degrading the performance of the Lyr due to worn-out sockets?

I have tube testers from the 1950's and the 1960's. A few of them I have used heavily and they were used a lot before I purchased and reconditioned them. The sockets they used were standard type, nothing special and I would guess  many 1000's of tubes have been used on the 9 pin sockets. I have replaced two tube sockets, one was broken and one was worn. The ones in the Lyr feel better than what I have in my testers. I would think there is nothing to worry about. Also with care, sockets can be tightened up, if needed. 

Oh, I also have one of the earliest Hickocks. It had t 4 sockets. One for a rectifier tube the other socket was for testing. It was for the 4 and 5 pin tubes of the time. It was made in the later 1920's and it is a little beauty. And, it still works with its original capacitors! It Comes in a padded dark purple velvet lined box. I used to email with a guy that used them when they were new. The sockets are original. 

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #964 of 8,735
'New Old Stock' v Vintage. My first expeience of a really old tube.

We all talk about tube "burn in" but just how long would the more experienced tube users here expect this process of change in  sound to continue?
So far, my tubes used in the Lyr, in addition to both of the stock tubes, have been a pair of double cryo, matched soviet 6H23's, some National 7DJ8's again matched and double cryo'd, plus a pair of NOS Amperex 6922 white lables. All apart from the stock tubes have had well in excess of 100 hours play, the Nationals and the Amperex much more.
I've just obtained a pair of Mullard E88CC/01 NOS - pricey - and at the same time got hold of a pair of Mullard ECC88's out of an old oscilloscope that have seen many years of use, for £5.

I dropped in the old ECC88's without even cleaning the pins, made a cup of coffee while they warmed up and pressed play on whatever it was I had been listening to last night on Pure Music. - I also often  use the Lyr as a tube 'pre-amp' feed into my Meridian D600's.
My coffee is still untouched! The sound filling the room is just way beyond anything I've ever achieved from a digital source and at the moment i'm just letting track after track play without even thinking of selecting any of my usual reference pieces.

So, have I just struck lucky with a better than usual pair of tubes, or, do these tubes really mellow with age, way beyond the 100-200 hours we often talk about?

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #965 of 8,735
Don't know but would be interesting to hear from the resident experts whether tubes are like a fine wine with a gradual progression towards the half-life point (say 2500-5000 hours) and then a gradual decline.  With 100-200 hours just a point at which it sounds better.  Or the alternative, after 200 hours the tube is in a plateau of performance for the majority of it's lifespan of 5000-10000 hours.

I may have some used tubes at >200 hours but I don't know their early history to be sure.

So, have I just struck lucky with a better than usual pair of tubes, or, do these tubes really mellow with age, way beyond the 100-200 hours we often talk about?

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #967 of 8,735

Quote:

Depends a lot upon whether you use DeOxit on the tube pins and what condition the pins are in to start with.  Besides being a contact enhancer, DeOxit is also a lubricant which I believe will extend the life of the tube sockets.

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #968 of 8,735
I was thinking about ordering some of this DeOxit.  Comes in spray and gel.  So you guys just apply some to the contacts, wipe off excess, and plug in the tube?  That easy?

Quote:
Depends a lot upon whether you use DeOxit on the tube pins and what condition the pins are in to start with.  Besides being a contact enhancer, DeOxit is also a lubricant which I believe will extend the life of the tube sockets.

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #970 of 8,735

Quote:
Don't know but would be interesting to hear from the resident experts whether tubes are like a fine wine with a gradual progression towards the half-life point (say 2500-5000 hours) and then a gradual decline.  With 100-200 hours just a point at which it sounds better.  Or the alternative, after 200 hours the tube is in a plateau of performance for the majority of it's lifespan of 5000-10000 hours.

I may have some used tubes at >200 hours but I don't know their early history to be sure.

The sonic signature of an analog tube will continue to change slightly until the cathode ceases to emit electrons.  This varies, depending on the tube, so there's no etched in granite time frame.

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #971 of 8,735
Tube life will obviously depend upon how well the tube was made and the operating points. The harder you run a tube the shorter the life whether it is a signal tube or a power tube. I have a quad of EL34 power tubes that have a very hard vacuum made in Japan. They are not the ones made on Mullard tooling but a different company. They have 1000's of hours and still sound better than any of my NOS Mullards. 

On the application of DeOxit, you want to leave a very thin coat as too much can cause a problem with the conduction you are trying to improve. 

Jun 11, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #974 of 8,735

Famous last words *grin*.  
L3000.gif

-Mike

Quote:
Well my last set of tubes Im buying ...

Jun 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #975 of 8,735

Quote:

On the application of DeOxit, you want to leave a very thin coat as too much can cause a problem with the conduction you are trying to improve. 

Do you need different cleaning and lubricating products, or is will this DeOxit pen applicator suffice?

The pins on the RCA 6bq7a black plates I received were in need of cleaning and I went to work on them with the only thing I had on hand. I read in another thread of people applying a pencil eraser to the task and I found this did a decent job of restoring the pins. I don't really want to be too anal about the whole thing, but I'll at least get the pen applicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back