Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #901 of 8,735
Maybe 2 weeks if necessary.  
tongue_smile.gif
 Maybe it's overkill to cool off the amp.   I recall reading that some people do so possibly to prolong life of amp or tubes.

Quote:
Just don't use your amp for the week of summer.   
wink_face.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #902 of 8,735
Without question, heat is the biggest killer of electronics, on the other hand, amplifiers need to build a certain amount of heat to perform optimally.  If the Lyr becomes hot enough so that you're unable to place your hand on top (not on the tubes) and leave it for extended periods of time, fan it.

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #903 of 8,735
I am back to using the Sylvania 6BZ7 grey plate. Very exceptional. Solid bass, dynamic and detailed. I look forward to having access to my store of 6DJ8 types. 

I just got my Sylvania 6BZY's in I concur with your assessment they also don't appear to have any thinness to them nice Bass good midrange highs are not overbearing.
The set I got was made in the USA first set I have that was made in the US hahaha. They sound good worth the 4.99.

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #904 of 8,735
I also got in a quad set of GE 6BZ7 in
My immediate impressions are they sound a little fuller than the Sylvania's bit better midrange and they have some air
they do however sound similar to both the RCA and Sylvania just a bit more mids and added air IMHO.
I think these are a great substitute for the newer 6N1P's one can pickup a quality tube that sounds better IMHO for 9.99 for 4 NOS
Also the twin triodes look cool lit up :D

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #905 of 8,735
     Quote:
My immediate impressions are they sound a little fuller than the Sylvania's bit better midrange and they have some air
they do however sound similar to both the RCA and Sylvania just a bit more mids and added air IMHO.
I think these are a great substitute for the newer 6N1P's one can pickup a quality tube that sounds better IMHO for 9.99 for 4 NOS

These are my favorite tubes so far (until the Mullards show up).

-HK sends

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #907 of 8,735
Krell stuff always freaks me out, because of the insanely high operating temperatures they produce - when working normally.  Did some abnormal testing on one, and the case actually got hot enough to completely melt the rubber feet
eek.gif

I haven't noticed that my Lyr gets hot enough to be worrisome, although it does get pretty warm.  I'm guessing because it's pretty biased towards Class A operation (at least, I recall reading that somewhere).

Quote:
Without question, heat is the biggest killer of electronics, on the other hand, amplifiers need to build a certain amount of heat to perform optimally.  If the Lyr becomes hot enough so that you're unable to place your hand on top (not on the tubes) and leave it for extended periods of time, fan it.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #908 of 8,735
Quote:
Krell stuff always freaks me out, because of the insanely high operating temperatures they produce - when working normally.  Did some abnormal testing on one, and the case actually got hot enough to completely melt the rubber feet
eek.gif

I haven't noticed that my Lyr gets hot enough to be worrisome, although it does get pretty warm.  I'm guessing because it's pretty biased towards Class A operation (at least, I recall reading that somewhere).

Efficiency in single digits will do that...

The Lyr's best case efficiency is 40% if all the numbers on Schiit's site are accurate.  There aren't as many numbers on the Asgard's page, but being lazy and assuming 1wpc would give 6% efficiency.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #909 of 8,735
$10 for 4?  Damn, and I thought two for $18 shipped wasn't bad.

I've got a small stack going, though...

Quote:
Also the twin triodes look cool lit up
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #913 of 8,735
Any time you're dealing with strictly class A amplifiers, the heat index increases significantly, since the amp can only shed unused watts in the form of heat.  A A/B class amplifiers will run warmer than class A/B, although in the majority of cases the class A power is totally utilized, therefore, those watts are not converted to heat.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #914 of 8,735
Well I received my amp and should have my DAC tomorrow, so far with my 650's I'm pretty happy. And after reading a billion posts on this thread I thought maybe we should list all the different tubes with the different attributes and then vote on them. Maybe if I get more time on my hands.....

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #915 of 8,735
Speak of the devil, 
evil_smiley.gif
 the first of the Mullards have arrived!  I got a set of the E88CC CV2492 tubes from TubeMonger and I just put them in.  After only 15 minutes, the GE 6BZ7s are no longer my favorite tube.  I really understand why people hold these tubes in high regard.  Now, to more listening/burn-in! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back