Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #6,826 of 8,735
Wait for more of Scott's review.

I don't want to be "The Guy"

OK guys, today I tried the RTC's with the LCD-3 on the Lyr (this is a Lyr thread after all - will try them on the Liquid Glass later). My technical evaluation is . . . "Wow!"

I don't believe the LCD's have ever sounded better on the Lyr:

1. Much smoother, richer presentation than the HD 800 and D2000. All the detail is there in each, but the LCD-3's are more musical, warmer; more natural sounding. These cans really love these tubes. I see why Sceleratus loves them so much with his LCD's - it is a great match.

2. Surprisingly (to me anyway), the soundstage is much bigger with the LCD-3 than with the HD 800. More "air" surrounding the instruments as well. The LCD sounds much more like an actual performance. I play a lot of baroque music in ensembles (on period instruments), and the LCD/RTC combo makes baroque strings, flutes and oboes sound more natural than just about anything else I've listened to lately. Very like an actual performance in a mid-sized venue (like a church).

3. I do notice more high frequencies with the HD 800, but that's not to say the LCD's are rolled off. Rather, there is just a more natural "roundness" and sweetness to the sound. Both presentations are pleasant - the HD 800's are like a delicious ice-cold extra-dry vodka martini, while the LCD's are more like a delicious caramel candy apple. Both good but different (OK enough silly metaphors).

I had about given up using the LCD-3's with the Lyr, but the RTC tubes are going to change that.

Many thanks to Sceleratus for turning us on to these wonderful tubes!

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #6,828 of 8,735
Quote:
Are these good for a lyr and he500 phones AMPEREX "Bugle Boy" Type 6DJ8 / ECC88 Tubes
Please help just got the lyr

Those are excellent tubes!  I don't have the HE500, but I have LCD-2s and the Bugle Boys sound fantastic!

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #6,829 of 8,735
Quote:
OK guys, today I tried the RTC's with the LCD-3 on the Lyr (this is a Lyr thread after all - will try them on the Liquid Glass later). My technical evaluation is . . . "Wow!"

I don't believe the LCD's have ever sounded better on the Lyr:

1. Much smoother, richer presentation than the HD 800 and D2000. All the detail is there in each, but the LCD-3's are more musical, warmer; more natural sounding. These cans really love these tubes. I see why Sceleratus loves them so much with his LCD's - it is a great match.

2. Surprisingly (to me anyway), the soundstage is much bigger with the LCD-3 than with the HD 800. More "air" surrounding the instruments as well. The LCD sounds much more like an actual performance. I play a lot of baroque music in ensembles (on period instruments), and the LCD/RTC combo makes baroque strings, flutes and oboes sound more natural than just about anything else I've listened to lately. Very like an actual performance in a mid-sized venue (like a church).

3. I do notice more high frequencies with the HD 800, but that's not to say the LCD's are rolled off. Rather, there is just a more natural "roundness" and sweetness to the sound. Both presentations are pleasant - the HD 800's are like a delicious ice-cold extra-dry vodka martini, while the LCD's are more like a delicious caramel candy apple. Both good but different (OK enough silly metaphors).

I had about given up using the LCD-3's with the Lyr, but the RTC tubes are going to change that.

Many thanks to Sceleratus for turning us on to these wonderful tubes!

YES !!!

I am not imaging things.

I very much like your description of the highs "natural roundness"  They're all there (highs) but they don't pierce, thus overwhelm
everything else in the composition.  I'm not a big baroque guy (more portly) but I love some of the Mozart Beethoven standards.  I've said this before.  It's like you are riding the bow across the strings.  Chilling.

They are stone cold killer with classic rock.  Awesome with any guitar, Les Paul, Strat, Acoustic and vocals.  Live performances, which I normally don't like, are amazing.  Stuff you've never detected comes out of nowhere.

It doesn't make sense to me why these valves sound so good.  They are ordinary in that they were made in an Amperex plant in Heerlen Netherlands (see Oskari, I got it right) they are a gold pin large O getter.  USN-CEP's / 6922 are large O's but these sound completely different.  They are the OG sound, on steroids.  I don't know if a bunch of French elves got summer work in Heerlen, don't care.  These are special.

Put a few more hours on the 67's last night .... they are opening up even more.

To use continue with another metaphor food metaphor...... The best peach pie you've ever tasted. And I know pie.

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #6,830 of 8,735
Quote:
YES !!!

I am not imaging things.

I very much like your description of the highs "natural roundness"  They're all there (highs) but they don't pierce, thus overwhelm
everything else in the composition.  I'm not a big baroque guy (more portly) but I love some of the Mozart Beethoven standards.  I've said this before.  It's like you are riding the bow across the strings.  Chilling.

They are stone cold killer with classic rock.  Awesome with any guitar, Les Paul, Strat, Acoustic and vocals.  Live performances, which I normally don't like, are amazing.  Stuff you've never detected comes out of nowhere.

It doesn't make sense to me why these valves sound so good.  They are ordinary in that they were made in an Amperex plant in Heerlen Netherlands (see Oskari, I got it right) they are a gold pin large O getter.  USN-CEP's / 6922 are large O's but these sound completely different.  They are the OG sound, on steroids.  I don't know if a bunch of French elves got summer work in Heerlen, don't care.  These are special.

Put a few more hours on the 67's last night .... they are opening up even more.

To use continue with another metaphor food metaphor...... The best peach pie you've ever tasted. And I know pie.

Now I'm really eager to hear mine...

Apr 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #6,832 of 8,735
Hey guys,

The fine folks at Tubemonger have some clarifications on the RTC tubes o' interest that you might find interesting:

"Appears that we need to do it to correct tube information from time to time before it becomes a fact online. 

For example: Revision is VR9 which makes these tubes from 1970s and not 1960s. BTW, Phillips Heerlen Holland or Armonk US and the RTC affiliate in France never made Dimple Disk Getter E188CC. So the Mullard chronology for Halo Getter/Dimple Disk getter does not apply. 1960s revisions should be VR5-VR7 etc.

That being said, 1970s Heerlen E188CC tubes are first rate and one of our reference tubes. Price with this vendor in France is a bargain."

Figures...I found I can't afford them and now they are declared a bargain...just my luck.

Cheers!
color]

-HK sends

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #6,833 of 8,735
Managed to pop for a couple of sets after all...only two left...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - 1 Set of Lorenz 3-micas are now for sale.  I'm giving them up at the same price I bought them.  I put 1 hour on them.  They were bought from someone who didn't realize what he had.  The original vendor did not have test results on the tubes so they are a bit of a gamble but I confirmed they did work in the Lyr with no noise.  I listened to them using a laptop playing Flac files from Foobar into my Bifrost via USB and feeding the Lyr out to my LCD-2s.

Asking $100 plus $10 shipping/insurance/PayPal fees in the US.  Please PM me if interested.  First come, first served...  SOLD!...

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #6,835 of 8,735
Quote:
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - 1 Set of Lorenz 3-micas are now for sale.  I'm giving them up at the same price I bought them.  I put 1 hour on them.  They were bought from someone who didn't realize what he had for sale.  The original vendor did not have test results on the tubes so they are a bit of a gamble but I confirmed they did work in the Lyr with no noise.  I listened to them using a laptop playing Flac files from Foobar into my Bifrost via USB and feeding the Lyr out to my LCD-2s.

Asking $100 plus $10 shipping/insurance/PayPal fees in the US.  Please PM me if interested.  First come, first served...

winner winner
chicken dinner

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #6,837 of 8,735
Just my luck...an hour after I pop for a set of '65 USN-CEP, a set of Lorenz 3-micas come up for sale.
frown.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #6,839 of 8,735
Quote:
Just my luck...an hour after I pop for a set of '65 USN-CEP, a set of Lorenz 3-micas come up for sale.
frown.gif

Apparently, his luck is still pretty good!
Quote:
Yeah, but you won't regret getting those USN-CEPs...

He won't regret either of them...
wink_face.gif
  Of course, that's IMHO...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #6,840 of 8,735
Quote:
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

PS - 1 Set of Lorenz 3-micas are now for sale.  I'm giving them up at the same price I bought them.  I put 1 hour on them.  They were bought from someone who didn't realize what he had.  The original vendor did not have test results on the tubes so they are a bit of a gamble but I confirmed they did work in the Lyr with no noise.  I listened to them using a laptop playing Flac files from Foobar into my Bifrost via USB and feeding the Lyr out to my LCD-2s.

Asking $100 plus $10 shipping/insurance/PayPal fees in the US.  Please PM me if interested.  First come, first served...

PLEASE I WANT IT!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back