Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #6,781 of 8,735
Quote:
Got a pair, when I got my globes. I'm gonna stick with the globes for a minute:) Please post any impressions thanks.

Will do.

So far, the OGs are still my favorites.  here's my list so far:

1. Ampex 6DJ8 Orange Globes 1968
2. Amperex USN 6922 D Getter  1960
3. Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boy 1966
4. Amperex USN-CEP 6922 '60's.
5. RCA 6BZ7 
6. GE 6BZ7

The Small Men will fit somewhere in there, I'll know where in a couple of days.

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #6,782 of 8,735
Quote:

Finally.

Nice!  
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #6,783 of 8,735
Quote:

Wow, great review, thanks!

Let's just say I'm glad I ordered 2 sets of these.  They sound like show-stoppers.

I sure hope you like them.
I've been raving about them for some time and I hope they don't let you down.  Eddie997 and Fearless1 love them too.

I see you have LCD3's. They should be fantastic together.  I ordered mine on the 13th (weekend) and I got them yesterday.

I find them to be very detailed, without being harsh. They bring out subtle things I didn't detect with any other valves.
A lot of "wow.  I never heard that before" moments.  I find the soundstage to be expansive.  At the moment my 65's are even bigger.  That's the area that I hope grows just a tad more.
The sound staging is not at all bad right now but it can go to mind bending places. I can listen to them for a long time without fatigue.  I can also turn them up without discomfort.  Make sure you pump em' up a bit.

The new 67's are  going to stay in the Lyr until I think they have reached max improvement.  Then I'll take them out and to compare to the 65's.
That said,  They sound damn fine to me right now.  The 67's are better than anything else I have ever owned. The 65's are from another planet.

Seriously, I know the CCa's, Siemens, and the like are considered the gold standard and I am fortunate enough to afford any of them, but I am so smitten with these RTC's I have no desire to buy anything else.

This is just a commentary relating my experiences and opinions. No facts.

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #6,784 of 8,735
Quote:
Will do.

So far, the OGs are still my favorites.  here's my list so far:

1. Ampex 6DJ8 Orange Globes 1968
2. Amperex USN 6922 D Getter  1960
3. Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boy 1966
4. Amperex USN-CEP 6922 '60's.
5. RCA 6BZ7 
6. GE 6BZ7

The Small Men will fit somewhere in there, I'll know where in a couple of days.

Seriously...
You have to break those D's in.

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #6,786 of 8,735
Quote:
I've been raving about them for some time and I hope they don't let you down.  Eddie997 and Fearless1 love them too.

I see you have LCD3's. They should be fantastic together.  I ordered mine on the 13th (weekend) and I got them yesterday.

I find them to be very detailed, without being harsh. They bring out subtle things I didn't detect with any other valves.
A lot of "wow.  I never heard that before" moments.  I find the soundstage to be expansive.  At the moment my 65's are even bigger.  That's the area that I hope grows just a tad more.
The sound staging is not at all bad right now but it can go to mind bending places. I can listen to them for a long time without fatigue.  I can also turn them up without discomfort.  Make sure you pump em' up a bit.

The new 67's are  going to stay in the Lyr until I think they have reached max improvement.  Then I'll take them out and to compare to the 65's.
That said,  They sound damn fine to me right now.  The 67's are better than anything else I have ever owned. The 65's are from another planet.

Seriously, I know the CCa's, Siemens, and the like are considered the gold standard and I am fortunate enough to afford any of them, but I am so smitten with these RTC's I have no desire to buy anything else.

So you wouldn't be willing to swap a set of Lorenz 3-mica for a set of RTC E188CCs and do a compario?  I'm curious as to how the RTC's sound and would be willing (on a temporary basis of course...
wink_face.gif
).

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #6,787 of 8,735
Got these behemoths today...

Compared to a "normal" tube...

Just to make it clear to everyone - do not put these E80CC tubes straight into your Lyr, they are incompatible (wrong pinout) and likely will make smoke come out of it

My soldering iron broke so i haven't been able to mod the cheap chinese socket savers yet to get these tubes working in Lyr, but that only encouraged me to spend more money, invested in a "proper" soldering station rather than the cheapo i had before.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/60w-professional-lcd-solder-station-with-esd-protection-511927

I'll let you know how i get on once new soldering iron + cheap socket savers turn up 
popcorn.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #6,788 of 8,735
Quote:
Got these behemoths today...

Compared to a "normal" tube...

Just to make it clear to everyone - do not put these E80CC tubes straight into your Lyr, they are incompatible (wrong pinout) and likely will make smoke come out of it

My soldering iron broke so i haven't been able to mod the cheap chinese socket savers yet to get these tubes working in Lyr, but that only encouraged me to spend more money, invested in a "proper" soldering station rather than the cheapo i had before.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/60w-professional-lcd-solder-station-with-esd-protection-511927

I'll let you know how i get on once new soldering iron + cheap socket savers turn up 
popcorn.gif

This should be good!  I'd be way too nervous trying this on my Lyr!  Hell, I'm nervous watching you try it on your Lyr!  
popcorn.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #6,792 of 8,735
The Small Men are sounding pretty good!  BUT... they're also the noisiest tubes I have so far.  I'm not certain yet if this will affect my decision to keep them or not.  The noise is only apparent when the music is stopped.

Right now I'm gonna continue to burn them in and see how that affects the noise.

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #6,793 of 8,735

Mine arrived today (also ordered them on the 13th). I've been listening on the Lyr with the HD 800 and the D2000 (modded) - Mahler, Philip Glass, Webern and Chauvon (Baroque).

I totally agree with your description of these beauties - detailed and balanced across the full spectrum- very accurate. And yes, the soundstage is very good, but I too think they might open up a little more over time with more break-in.

I think I will wait and roll them into the Liquid Glass to try them with the LCD-3's (better match with the LCD's).

Need to listen more, but these will place high on my list.

More later!

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #6,795 of 8,735
I may have to eat my words concerning sound signature of tubes coming second to source detail. These S&H CCA are exactly what they are hyped up to be. Mr. Scary has it right, and I have to give him the nod. I've only listened briefly, but it was enough.
beyersmile.png

I'm upset one is microphonic. With headphones I'm hoping that doesn't trigger feedback. Doesn't seem to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back